Motherboard Questions

JohnWPB

My CarPC died, and instead of buying a new one just for the car, I am gonna take this desktop system and build it into a custom case for the car.

Ok, I have not upgraded my desktop computer in about 3 years now. It is a P4 2.8Ghz machine (Overclocked to 3.2Ghz) with 2 gigs of memory.

I feel like such a noob asking this :D

What is the deal with the dual core processors, and how are they rated as far as true Ghz speed?

All of the dual core MB combo's that I see are from like 1.8 to 2.8 Ghz. With a dual core system, does 1.8 Ghz mean that it is a total "3.2 Combined Ghz processor speed"?

If it is not a direct doubling of speed, then what does it actually translate to in terms of "true speed"?

I know something has to be different, as this board is 3 years old, and most of the processors out there are the same speed as this one 3 years later!! What gives?

Get a Core 2 Duo.
The 2.14 2.4 Ghz area is the sweet spot.
They are faster than a 3.2 Ghz Northwood.
Get at least 1 gb memory.

comparisons are difficult to a single core, single thread cpu as what you are asking the cpu to do makes the difference on whether hyperthreading / dual core / 2 core duo / extreme / multi processors make any difference. The software has to be written to take advantage of the new architecture.

Agreed with Skibum. E6400 is the sweet spot where things get expensive, with less performance return per dollar. That is why Cinemar servers are using that processor now.

re: e6400

from the article i linked to above:
Another significant update coming in Q2 is that the low end 6000 series Core 2 Duo processors will receive 4MB L2 caches like their more expensive brethren. Currently the E6300 and E6400 both have 2MB L2s, but both chips will be replaced by 4MB versions - the E6320 and E6420 respectively. Clock speeds and other details wont change, but performance will obviously increase. The best part of it all is that pricing wont change either, so if youre contemplating buying an E6300 or E6400 youd be better off waiting a quarter so you can get the extra cache for free.

The short answer is that you essentially have two separate processors running their own tasks. For instance, if you try and play a serious game while making a backup of your DVD on a single processor machine, both program have to share the same CPU, slowing both down.

Not so with dual core (AMD X2 guy here). I can be running a serious application on one core (something intensive) and play BattleField 2 at the same time. If you run @home projects such as Seti@home, etc then you will have two computational results working at once.

Boot time seems to be quicker as well, with the desktop popping up quicly while the background apps load with the second core.

I switched to dual-core about a year ago and wouldn't think of going back.

Just my .02

DavidL said:
The software has to be written to take advantage of the new architecture.
anybody know of any ? ? software written for a dual(multi) core, that is :D

DavidL said:
damage, the way this stuff goes, if you wait, then you will be in time for the next wait...
If you need a PC, buy it and accept that it is then outdated.
i've been designing chips for various silicon valley companies for the past 15 years so i have a pretty good idea about "the way this stuff goes." i was simply offering more information for John. if he has some time to decide, then he should be aware that the e6420 will be out in a couple months and the prices of the e6400s will be dropping faster in the interim. and depending on his budget, that may make it worth it for him to wait on the e6400. not everyone is as price insensitive.

also, maybe he doesn't need the power of cinemar's servers in the trunk of his car and perhaps would want something like the e4300 that runs cooler and uses less power (but can be oc'd - which might interest him since his original box was oc'd). and of course, it'd be cheaper (like this recent ad - $149 w/ mobo @ fry's http://latimes.p2ionline.com/shoppingchann...37_4269239.jpg)

I thought he was building a desktop super computer, and using the old desktop guts for a CarPC. If this was just for a carPC, then he has heat to worry about and size issues and energy usage.
2CoreDuo fits the bill here too as it's overall more efficient than prior generations. Less heat so less cooling, so less noise and size. Plus less alternator drain. Pentium M works here well too.

my mistake, he is looking to replace his desktop. but that makes the e4300 even more attractive due to its high overclockability and lower price point. and using a mobo like the ecs, allows the re-use of plain old ddr memory, so the upgrade hit doesn't have to happen all at once.

I personally wouldn't buy a processor (and motherboard) that doesn't support the current DDR2 readily available RAM standard. That truly is buying yesterday's technology. Even if that means throwing away a stick or two of DDR (which can always be used to enhance an older machine like the CarPC).

Thanks for all the info guys! I am a quick study, just need to know a little bit of info to get me going. The dual processor stuff is totally new to me. I relate it to trying to compare car engines, what engine is bigger/better a 350 or a 5.0 ;) BUT that can at least mathematically be figured out quite easily, it's not so cut and dry with single / dual core processors.

Damage: The link you posted above is not working. If you could provide a link to the one you are talking about that is good for overclocking that would be great. I am not a HUGE overclocker, but it was easy enough for me on this board and crank it from a 2.8 to a 3.2 Ghz machine in the Bios. I have a pretty heave duty cooling fan on her. I will revert it back to 2.8 when I put it in the car, just due to fact that 2.8 is PLENTY to run a font end in the car, as well as keeping it cooler in that enviorment.

How does THIS COMBO look? 2.8Ghz Dual Core seems, with what I have learned so far here, to be a screaming machine :eek: It also boasts the 4 Meg of Cache that was mentioned previously to wait for, but I have never really been one to wait. When I decide I want something, I want it NOW :)

What does not make sense to me, is at the top, it states the board can handle 8Gigs of memory, and below for the BM specs it says 4 Gigs. Not that I would personally need to go over 4 gigs of memory. It just makes me question what else could be misleading about it.

I will order from anywhere online, but if its available at Tiger Direct, even for a few more dollars, I will get it from them. Simply because they have a store here, I and can get it NOW (And not have to pay S&H, and they have a reputable return policy, of which I can take advantage of in person.

Back