Motion Sensors - Relay "Click"?

SteveInNorCal

Do motion sensors / detectors (for security) make relay clicking noises? My wiring installer put one in my LR and one in the hallway. I added a third to the DR/Kitchen (I don't see the brand name on the front). Are the relays going to make audible clicks every time somebody moves into the field of view? I haven't fired them up yet, so don't know what I'm in for. I don't like the idea of sitting down to read a book and having the detector click every time I turn a page or wiggle in my chair.

I've read good things on this forum about the Bosch ISC-BDL2-WP12G Blue Line Gen 2 Tritech which is supposed to have good pet immunity (I believe the BDL2 replaced the DS83i). Prices are pretty reasonable for this detector. BUT, does it make clicking noises?

I recall reading about some detector that uses solid state relays and is totally silent. Anybody know which ones are great sensors, pet immune, AND completely silent?

Steve

I can vouch for the ds835i being silent

I would guess the blue line would be too if it's a newer replacement

My in laws have an ancient alarm setup and one of their motions does make a clicking noise. Keep in mind this is a system from the 70s so everything in it is old tech.

I also remember some older units clicking.

I have installed the Bosch ISC-BDL2-WP12G Blue Line Gen 2. They are beautiful units, very small and absolutely silent. The only thing that may disturb you is the LED that come one everytime you move. I believe you can also turn those off, but it is good to be reminded that the alarm is working, and remind visitors that your system is operational.

The 835I's do have a slight relay click, not very noticable.

The newer Blue lines are solid state relay, no noise.

The LED's surve more purposes on the Bosch units. Each color represents a detection technology. If one fails, the units go into "3 flash" mode to alert there's an issue by flashing the LED 3 times.

The 835I's do have a slight relay click, not very noticable.

The newer Blue lines are solid state relay, no noise.

The LED's surve more purposes on the Bosch units. Each color represents a detection technology. If one fails, the units go into "3 flash" mode to alert there's an issue by flashing the LED 3 times.

Thanks, Newalarm and DEL. That was just what I needed to know. I ordered three Bosch ISC-BDL2-WP12G Blue Line Gen 2 yesterday.

You will like it, but You may want to look at their site; they have a motion for every possible scenario. you want to make sure you get right unit for your location. I tried that unit is a square hallway at top of the stairs and it was not picking up motion due the the blind spot. I swaped it for a different Bosch and now it works perfect.

Now the WP12G does have a mask (foil) that you can pull off if you need better coverage, but once you pull it, i don't think you can put it back. It also have two internal switches, one to turn off pet friendly, and one to turn off LED.

Back