Mount a speaker behind an ELK-M1KP keypad?

Other threads in this forum have established that you can mount a speaker behind a KP2 keypad (using the speaker from an SP12F and mounted in an M1BBK2 recessed box). Is is possible to do the same with a KP keypad?

I like the extra functionality of the KP keypad (extra function keys, temperature sensor, optional internal Wiegand reader) but I'd like to incorporate a hidden speaker. From photos, I see two options:

1) Keypad + Box + Speaker
Will the BBK2 box accept a KP keypad?
Do the mounting holes align or do I need to drill new ones?

2) Keypad + Speaker
Will the KP's rear mounting plate accept the SP12F speaker?
Do the mounting holes align or do I need to drill new ones?
I think this option requires drilling a large hole in the wall in order to recess the speaker.

I did this. My KP1 was installed over a single gang box.

I removed the kp1 and the frame, removed the housing from the speaker and crammed the speaker into the single gang box at about 40 degrees, one of the wiring terminals was against the side of the single gang box and the hole was at the top of the box.

I used a single screw to secure it and hooked it up to see if there were any rattles, etc. Then routed the wires around the speaker, remounted the template and the kp1.

Works great.

I removed the kp1 and the frame, removed the housing from the speaker and crammed the speaker into the single gang box at about 40 degrees, one of the wiring terminals was against the side of the single gang box and the hole was at the top of the box.

OK, so option #2 with a vanilla, single-gang box sounds functional ... but a little 'jury-rigged'. The speaker fits cleanly, and squarely, in the BBK2 box so I was hoping that the KP keypad can be neatly mounted onto the BBK2.

Can the KP keypad can be installed on the BBK2 box without too many modifications?

Just need to know if:
- when the KP keypad is mounted over the BBK2, its mounting screws go into the drywall or into the BBK2
- the KP keypad completely conceals the BBK2 box and sits squarely on the wall.

Someone must have tried this already ...

*** BUMP ***

Sorry for the bump, but I really need this one last question answered before I submit my order.

I want to mount a KP1, not KP2, keypad onto an ELK BBK2 recessed box equipped with an SP12F speaker. Will this work? Will it be a neat installation or will parts of the box show from behind the KP1 ... or will the KP1 simply not sit properly on the wall?

*** BUMP ***

Sorry for the bump, but I really need this one last question answered before I submit my order.

I want to mount a KP1, not KP2, keypad onto an ELK BBK2 recessed box equipped with an SP12F speaker. Will this work? Will it be a neat installation or will parts of the box show from behind the KP1 ... or will the KP1 simply not sit properly on the wall?

Probably not a good idea. 1) Your KP1 will sit off the wall the thickness of the flange on the BBK2. 2) The KP1 will not totally cover the BBK2 so there will be a little bit of an edge showing. 3) None of the screw holes in the KP1 backplate would line up so your screws would have to go into the wall finish.

Why not just attach the speaker directly to the KP1's backplate. It should only take a little clever handiwork. Put the speaker against the back of the plate centered slightly over the large wire entry hole. Then mark two screw locations, drill, and then use VERY short screws or pop rivets. Just make sure the screw can't touch the electronics. This all assumes that you have an opening or electrical wall box behind the KP1. FYI: The back side of the speaker from the SP12F will fit right into the electrical box. There is no need to angle or turn it.

Probably not a good idea. 1) Your KP1 will sit off the wall the thickness of the flange on the BBK2. 2) The KP1 will not totally cover the BBK2 so there will be a little bit of an edge showing. 3) None of the screw holes in the KP1 backplate would line up so your screws would have to go into the wall finish.

Why not just attach the speaker directly to the KP1's backplate. It should only take a little clever handiwork. Put the speaker against the back of the plate centered slightly over the large wire entry hole. Then mark two screw locations, drill, and then use VERY short screws or pop rivets. Just make sure the screw can't touch the electronics. This all assumes that you have an opening or electrical wall box behind the KP1. FYI: The back side of the speaker from the SP12F will fit right into the electrical box. There is no need to angle or turn it.

Thanks very much for the reply; it is exactly what I needed to know.

As suggested, I'll forget about the BBK2 and use a standard electrical wallbox. I'll try to mount the speaker to the back of the KP1 and have the speaker's backside protrude into the wallbox ... or simply mount it (somehow) directly within the wallbox.

Back