Moving strucutred wiring panel - questions!

rsramirez

Hi folks,

I unfortunately have to move my structured wiring panel for reasons beyond my control.

I'm wondering what the best practice would be in regards to extending my CAT5 and RF Coax. Would couplers be sufficient?

My concern would be degrading the performance of the cables. I have used a CAT5 coupler to extend a connection at work a few times and noticed the speed detected by my machine dropped from a 1Gbps to 100Mbps connection (yes, I do use that bandwidth!)

Thanks.
-rsramirez

Hi folks,

I unfortunately have to move my structured wiring panel for reasons beyond my control.

I'm wondering what the best practice would be in regards to extending my CAT5 and RF Coax. Would couplers be sufficient?

My concern would be degrading the performance of the cables. I have used a CAT5 coupler to extend a connection at work a few times and noticed the speed detected by my machine dropped from a 1Gbps to 100Mbps connection (yes, I do use that bandwidth!)

Thanks.
-rsramirez

How far do you need to move it?

Are you sure that wasn't a 4-wire coupler? Even if the coupler degraded the signal, I'd still expect it to link at 1Gbps.

However, 1Gbps requires all 8 wires, 100Mbps requires only 4.

Hi folks,

Thanks.
-rsramirez

How far do you need to move it?

Are you sure that wasn't a 4-wire coupler? Even if the coupler degraded the signal, I'd still expect it to link at 1Gbps.

However, 1Gbps requires all 8 wires, 100Mbps requires only 4.

Perhaps it was a 4-wire. I honestly don't recall. I'll see if I sitill have the coupler and give it a try.

The panel will have to be moved about 5-7 feet over from where it is now. I probably have 3 feet of slack, but I'll have to also go up and around a door.

How many wires are we talking about moving? Is it possible to leave a patch panel in the original location and run wires to your new patch panel? For GigE you will want all wires to be rated at CAT5e or CAT6 as well as the patch panels. I agree with MikeB, CAT5 is rated for 100mb you most likely had a 4 wire coupler to have the speed step down on you.

Good Luck,

Rod

How many wires are we talking about moving? Is it possible to leave a patch panel in the original location and run wires to your new patch panel? For GigE you will want all wires to be rated at CAT5e or CAT6 as well as the patch panels. I agree with MikeB, CAT5 is rated for 100mb you most likely had a 4 wire coupler to have the speed step down on you.

Good Luck,

Rod

Hi all,

We're talking about... 8 RG6 Coax and 8 CAT5e - not a very large system. Leaving an old patch panel and putting a new one in is an option, albeit a more expensive one. I will probably have limited (read: difficulty) in accessing the old panel, but I think I'm open to this option if this would give me the least amount of loss in performance.

Maybe I can do the coupling in a small patch panel (like the GreyFox Trio?), although I don't know if it'll all fit into one of those units (11.61" x 4.5" x 4").

Your thoughts??

Thanks!
-R

It's not very cost-effective, but you could go with something like this:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmD...p;section=10552

Populate it with 8 RG6 and 8 Cat5e quickport connectors, and run 10' patch cables to your new location.

Or, if you want to save money and/or space, just use the quickport connectors, skip the patch panel, label them and tie them up neatly. I'd try to avoid terminating the Cat5e to an end and using a coupler, if possible.

Hi folks,

Thanks.
-rsramirez

You don't actually describe your current termination point...so we don't have enough info to give you good advice.

Can you post a picture?

After all, if the cable is terminated to a patch panel now...the only issue I see is whether or not you can "squeeze" it into the attic (if available). After all, it doesn't *have* to be in a box...especially if it is not powered.

Along the same lines, if the cables are already terminated to rj45s, I would probably consider cutting them off and using a connecting block (again, in the attic if accessible).

For gigabit speeds, every connector/jack makes a difference. The Cat6 spec includes the limitation of the number of connectors in addition to the type and spec of the wire and how it's installed. If you really need to use gig speeds, I'd recommend you simply rewire the runs to the cat6 spec (wire and jacks), and do away with the old stuff. That way you're ready for the next leap, too.

Back