Multi-zoning driven by true variable speed air conditioning. Is it finally here?

lleo said:
 Also does not need or work with bypass dampers to compensate for too small zones
That's interesting.  I wondered how they did that, and luckily I found  the document which explains how it works:  http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/public/0d/zone-02dg.pdf

Here's the pertinent excerpt:  
"The Infinity’s sophisticated algorithms were constructed to maintain comfort to the occupants by continuously monitoring each zone’s
temperature to satisfy the comfort conditions. If a zone cannot handle the minimum equipment cfm the Infinity Control will find a zone that
is slightly out from the setpoint and open the damper to allow the system to run. If none of the zones are away from the setpoint the Infinity
Control looks for unoccupied zones or setback zones to allow the system to run to satisfy the original zone caller.
Zones that do not handle minimum equipment airflow will cause other zones to be heated or cooled above or below their setpoint
temperatures. If this is an acceptable alternative then the undersized zones will not present any major issues. In most circumstances this is not
an acceptable situation and the only way to relieve this to make sure each zone handles the minimum airflow of the installed equipment.
Remember the Infinity System tries to satisfy all zones simultaneously so it is common for zones to open incrementally to satisfy the comfort
points."

So, interestingly, it sounds like one option is running adequate ducting to each zone such that each zone could take the entire minimum CFM's (40% of maximum) all by itself if needed.  If that's not the case, and the zone or zones calling for cooling can't fully dissipate the minimum CFM's, then the zone controller follows the prescribed algorithm above to open other dampers also.  I'm impressed that it even takes into account zone occupancy when picking which other dampers to open to meet minimum dissipation requirements.

Theoretically I suppose it would be nice if the controller could open some dampers partially rather than "modulate" them open/close.  However, that would presumably require more sophisticated control--possibly more than exists in mainstream residential zoning controls.  Or, perhaps it would be splitting hairs and doesn't actually matter.  Are you conscious of the system modulating the dampers, or is it not something that's noticeable?

I also used HVAC-calc timed version along with a laser tape measure (a must have). I found my previous HVAC system  was not correctly sized. The only caveat is you need to print out all the reports before program expires.

The Carrier Greenspeed uses an Inverter compressor which improves it zoning capabilities, but the price will give you sticker shock.

I am getting ready to replace/rework my ducts in crawlspace this winter with idea to rework them for zoned system. The HVAC calc program also highlighted unbalance return/supply, so I will have to some how fix that issue too.

From my research, zoning doesn’t really save you any money on electricity costs. In my case, I have 6-8 degree temperature diffs between upstairs/downstairs. Hopefully, a 2-speed system can help at night time by forcing more air upstairs using low speed.

One other non-obvious zoning issue is access to the dampers. They will break at some point, so access needs to be painless (as in not crawling on your back). The previous homeowner’s HVAC company put manual “balancing” dampers at the ends of each run. There was no way, unless you were a gymnast, to actual go back and readjust the dampers in crawlspace.

Instead, I was forced to use sneaker zoning where vents are open/closed around the house. This practice is actually very bad for your system (I didn’t know at the time).

For new 2-zone ducting system, I am going to try and make it easier to just change the upstairs/downstairs balance by a minimal FPS (feet/second). Thus, I will put the dampers (potentially modulating) close the HVAC furnace. This way every winter/summer, I can just readjust (changing damper position a few degrees) the flow to help resolve upstairs/downstairs discrepancy.

Carrier Infinity is not cheap, but well over a year living with it, I am saving about $2k+ a year in utility costs.. The ROI or breaking even rather is 10 years. Would have been 7 years if I chose an A/C only condenser and not the heat pump.
The previous systems that were replaced were 25 years old, oversized and highly inefficient. With 10 years (parts and labor) warranty I think it was the right choice for me. YMMV

d.dennerline said:
d.dennerline, on 09 Sept 2014 - 02:08, said:
The Carrier Greenspeed uses an Inverter compressor which improves it zoning capabilities, but the price will give you sticker shock.
As long as we're on the topic, what is the incremental cost for variable versus two stage? In case you guys are shy, I'll show you my numbers first, and then hopefully you guys will show me yours.

I presently have a very basic two zone (an upstairs and a downstairs) system. It came with the house and consists of a 5 ton Trane condenser and a 4 ton Trane condenser, both SEER 10, and each with their own air handler that doubles as an NG furnace. Single speed and no dampers. R-22, 15 years old, and probably ready for either replacement or some significant maintenance. The system heats and cools a 3,800sf two story house. It short cycles a lot, and the system is definitely unbalanced. I'm told the average lifespan for an AC system where I live is around 15-20 years.

IIRC from the quotes I previously received, the cost to replace it with a more or less identical (but not R-22) two-speed system (including new air handler furnaces) was about $10,000, or thereabouts. That would be reusing the existing flex ducting and no additional zoning. I don't recollect the incremental cost of adding zoning to it the system, assuming it's configured with two-stage condensers. Adding zoning to the current system would have obviously required by-pass dampers, and probably wouldn't meet our comfort objectives.

To replace what I have with a custom chiller system with 15 dampered zones would have cost around $18,000, according to the one bid I got for doing that. That would have been without heating, and it was somewhat unresolved as to how heating was going to be integrated with it, as I don't think the HVAC guy's proposed heating solution (leveraging ordinary residential-grade tankless hot water heaters) would have lasted very long because the duty cycle, though perhaps there are commercial grade tankless that could handle it. Heatpumps could be used, but that would be trading reduced system cost for higher heating costs. Perhaps that's acceptable, but I'd want to use a sharp pencil to figure it. It also assumed the existing ducting would be re-used, and it assumed I would be supplying the 15 z-wave thermostats (which cost about half as much now as they would have then), one for each of the 15 zones. It would have relied on a bank of three chiller condensers, operating in parallel and switching on as needed to balance cooling demand. It would have utilized an insulated buffer tank to mitigate short cycling. Although I didn't request it, the bid proposed the heated refrigerant at the condensers be evaporative cooled using water, not just air cooled as is more typical for residential. On average it probably would reduce energy costs somewhat, and would make for a quieter fan, but there must be good reasons (like maintenance) that's it's not more widely used, and it would have vendor-locked me even more in terms of servicing it.

Since then I found on my own true variable speed chiller units that operates 0%-100%, which I'm pretty sure would remove the need/benefit of a buffer tank, and only one would be needed even if other one or two stage chillers were operating in parallel. MSRP equipment cost on the variable speed chiller condensers I found is about $1,000 per ton, but when/if it needs servicing I'm not yet sure who I would call. I think there probably are options though. I'd probably be better off with some lower capacity chillers to operate in parallel with it, both for redundancy and to hit better efficiency rather than rely entirely on one variable speed chiller to cover the low-end of the load range, where (as discussed above by ano and lleo) efficiency may be poor. If I pursue it, I'll look into that efficiency issue more carefully.

Also, the notion of an ice bank to complement the chiller might be worth exploring, as those are now available "off-the-shelf" in standard units and look to be maintenance free and would undoubtedly reduce operating costs, though I'd haven't yet figured the NPV of adding it to the mix. However, if the ice bank(s) were big enough I wouldn't have any need for a variable speed chiller or a separate buffer tank, and I could probably get by with just one single speed chiller condenser that could be operated very efficiently (in some respects similar to the way a Toyota Prius works). By charging the ice bank at night, the system would also gain efficiency from the lower ambient temperature at night for cooling the heated refrigerant generated by the condenser during compression. When it comes to efficiency for a multi-zoned system, I suspect it would be very hard to beat the performance or the efficiency of such a chiller system.

I'd prefer to hire someone else to do a chiller system, if I were to do it at all, although unlike all other systems, it could conceivably be done either DIY or assisted DIY. That's because you can buy pre-charged outdoor standalone chiller units, and so there's no life safety issue about the containment or possible release of toxic refrigerants within the living space.

I also had a quote from Daiken of $40,000 to build one of their direct expansion systems to service 15 zones. With it, there would have been no ducting at all. Also, you could heat one zone and cool another without it being double the operational cost (not that the need for such a thing arises very often, but the topic arose as a humerous sidenote earlier in this thread). Mitsubishi quoted their system, and it was $35,000. Anyhow, those prices were non-starters from my perspective, and in any case they are no longer options for me now that I'm post-remodel.

My 3,500sqft home is divided in 1system serving 2 zones - living and sleeping quarters, gave you the cost in previous post (hint $2K x 10 years)

When you say that you currently have a "two zone system with two condensers" you actually have two separate systems, do you?
I hope the overlords of cocoontech will not mind for linking to another website, but recommend that you read over at hvac-talk.com and my thread from few years back I started on combining two systems into one. In the end I concluded that my two systems can be combined into a single zoned system, but if I had a multi-story dwelling, I would have maintained them separate.

Not sure how you end up with 15 zones, perhaps you have 15 supply registers, I have 18 in total. If they are coming off a single or maybe 2 trunks, than indeed you need this many dampers, if you want individual control, but you could still group them into 3, maybe 4 zones, which should also help you with your minimum capacity issue. If you think that each 6" flexible duct should a zone, you will be hard pressed to find a system that will be able to modulate efficiently to serve 1x6" duct.
Your best bet is still to look where the heat load is, say morning sun, afternoon sun, and use a few strategically placed dampers to zone based on those needs. A single round damper installed will run at a few hundred dollars, and you want 15 of them. My great-room over the garage was a bit colder, nothing bad just 1-2 degrees over/under the setpoint. It has 5 supply registers, but a lot of windows. Considered to turn it into a separate zone in itself, but would have had to install 6 dampers instead of 1. Instead I added a remote temperature in the room that is averaged with other sensor in the living area.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1179301-Can-it-be-done-combine-2-systems-into-1

Many of the new HVAC zoned systems available today do a great job at balancing zone airflow.  The problem is that these systems also require proprietary thermostats which.... wait for it...can't be controlled with third-party home automation systems.  (i.e. ELK or HAI)  They can certainly be controlled with their proprietary cloud based systems that many charge a monthly fee to access. 

If you are creating more than 3 or 4 zones, then you are not doing something correctly, or your house is VERY VERY poorly insulated.  I have a single zone system and a three zone, and it works great.  The more zones you add the more you are trying to tax the HVAC system and there certainly are diminishing returns.

ano said:
Many of the new HVAC zoned systems available today do a great job at balancing zone airflow.  The problem is that these systems also require proprietary thermostats which.... wait for it...can't be controlled with third-party home automation systems.  (i.e. ELK or HAI)  They can certainly be controlled with their proprietary cloud based systems that many charge a monthly fee to access. 

If you are creating more than 3 or 4 zones, then you are not doing something correctly, or your house is VERY VERY poorly insulated.  I have a single zone system and a three zone, and it works great.  The more zones you add the more you are trying to tax the HVAC system and there certainly are diminishing returns.
This is not true.

Using VAV boxes and controlling the air into spaces to match temperature windows and to compensate for thermal gain (or lack of) based on area of the house, construction, compass orientation is very commonplace on high end construction. Assuming a single trunk with dampers that are on certain sections to knock down airflow isn't an ideal solution. The purpose of VAV's and room T-stats (not by larger zone or area) is how you get away from the sections of the house that feel cooler or warmer than others.

You can have a "normal" panel like an M1 or HAI talk to the big gun controllers and run a pretty complex system. On the M1 it's very easy actually since the M1 can send and receive text; I have a "bench" M1 that is talking to a Metasys controller and speaking BACnet....you only need to know the instance ID's and the like to speak to the head end which is going to spit out to the controllers themselves, either via eschelon or TCP/IP. Not really difficult or rocket science. The only thing you need, such as in the case of the Metasys controller I have, is enough digital inputs to provide the controller enough information to control the VAV and/or valves/reheat or what have you to provide enough information to the control...but it's generally easier to use a controller with more horsepower and then have the embedded security talk to it.

YMMV.

For completeness, Carrier has a system access module that provides serial port for third party integration, which you can connect to Elk or CQC, besides their cloud-based access. There is also a thread here that details the progress in reverse engineering the proprietary protocol Carrier uses and send commands to thermostat without the SAM by mimicking a carrier server locally

lleo said:
For completeness, Carrier has a system access module that provides serial port for third party integration, which you can connect to Elk or CQC, besides their cloud-based access. There is also a thread here that details the progress in reverse engineering the proprietary protocol Carrier uses and send commands to thermostat without the SAM by mimicking a carrier server locally
I looked at getting that system a year ago, because with the SAM module (for $800+) the HAI OMNI can control it.  But at that time, my HVAC installer contacted Carrier and he was told the SAM was being discontinued.  Carrier said that the plans were to make a new SAM module that would work with their latest systems. So i contacted HAI to see if they would be supporting the new SAM module if Carrier created it, and I was told that it was unlikely they would support it. 

I do know that there has been some work at reverse-engineering the link, but usually with a PC. I ran CQC previously, but I'm not planning to include a PC with my new one.

It is still listed on Carrier's website, even for newer touch controls. There is a remark that with the newer controls only the serial will work, but not the ethernet port. I agree that for a serial port it is overpriced. My dealer was not familiar with it, so gave it to me at 'dealer price' and I installed it myself.

lleo said:
When you say that you currently have a "two zone system with two condensers" you actually have two separate systems, do you?
Yes.  For clarity's sake, I probably should have said "two separate systems, one for upstairs and one for downstairs" instead of saying "two zones."

So that I could better understand DEL's postings, I read a simplified overview of VAV's that Wikipedia linked to:  http://www.simplyvav.com/discover/about-vav/
I would guess that in a residential install VAV's would likely be simplified even more:  no dropped ceilings, so no parallel fan, and maybe (?) the reheat element might get sacrificed also.  What's left would be a refinement such that the damper position is not a purely 1-bit binary open or shut (as in the modulation scheme described above) but might be, for example, 10-bit instead so as assume whatever degree  of openness is needed to bring the zone's air temperature to the setpoint and then through feedback maintain it spot-on by constantly delivering the right amount of chilled airflow to exactly offset heat gains.

I do remember some office environments I've worked in where I could hear the dampers modulated open/close instead of moderating like a VAV, and so if it were as loud in a home environment (which has a much lower ambient noise floor), I'd prefer a VAV.  However, the office dampers were generally close to the office work space, whereas I'm under a weak impression that the residential HVAC dampers used for zoning are further upstream, mounted on the air handler's plenum.  Is that correct, or is my weak impression wrong?  So, again, I'm unsure how audible the open/shutting of non-VAV dampers would be in a residence.  Lleo and Ano, in your installs is it noticeable at all?

I never hear the dampers, and they are located near the plenum.  With the Honeywell zone controller i have, dampers are left open by default, and only closed when the fan is on and the zones are not needed, otherwise they are open. 

Back