My car was broke into

Squintz

Hey all. My car was broke into last night and I caught the guys on camera. However, the images suck so bad that they are probably not even usable. So I got on the website of the manufacture who makes my DVR. www.everfocus.com and found that they make what looks to me to be a nice camera. I was thinking about asking AutomatedOutlet if they can get it for me since they sold me the DVR. Here it is...

http://www.123securityproducts.com/neweveq52dan.html

What do you all think about the specs. I liked the idea of 520tvl and what they call True Day/Night at only .002 lux and no IR needed. Does anyone see a reason why this camera would not work for my situation. I will post my images of the perps here soon so you can see the problem I am running into.

David,

That camera you gave us the link to is not watertight. You need to use an enclosure for it.

What kind of range do you need for the IR? That will tell us what kind of camera to suggest.

Probably not practical for your budget.

That is unless you know for sure you can park in the exact same spot every night.

Just like in this shot, this is an ideal almost situation.
hawk_camera_screenshot_892.jpg

0% chance of IDing that guy however it's broad daylight.

Bottom line will be quality cam and almost more importantly quality lens and setup and a quality recorder. If any of those is half assed it's probably not going to provide evidence.

I guess it could be cheaper to have a single HD cam and record to a PC without off site viewing... That would be well under $2k and would actually work.

I'd like to have a wider angle then I currently have. I am currently using the Hawk 8mm with 420 lines of resolution. A while back Brandon recommended a 3.6mm lens for my situation. My cars are roughly 25 - 30 feet from the spot I would mount the camera.

My issue is mainly in the details. I need to be able to see the persons face and hopefully tell you what style and maybe color clothes they were wearing. I wan't something that will do very well in low light also because we don't have much light here.

How well can you prdict the location of the car?

This cannot be done with a single NTSC cam... Not a chance in hell.

Collin,

Can you give me a list of devices that I could do this with. $2k is a reasonable price for me as long as I can resell my existing 16chan DVR to make up a few hundred of it.

I know nothing about security cameras and DVRs so I pretty much need someone to hold my hand and tell me what to buy.

Can you explain why my needs are so hard to accomplish? I would think with todays technology that every camera would be able to do this type of stuff.

Is my DVR a big part of the problem and if so why?

-----
Also, I thought I needed the ability to view my cam over the net. But because I spend most of my time at work and work blocks 99% of the ports, I really have not got much use out of the feature. The one feature I do like about my DVR is the ability to Record and Playback at the same time. I also like the motion detection features and the ability to schedule a continuous recording at certain times of the day. For example I recoded everything between 9pm and 7am without a break and then during the other hours I use motion detection to record.

I would recommend Axis cameras and since there is a chance you will be parking in different spots i would go with a PTZ........ for under 2000 you can get a PTZ in a outdoor dome that you can record on your PC and view on the net. i would get the 214PTZ (1299) and Dome (599).

If you don't like the PTZ option you can go with a fixed cam in a outdoor housing for alot less. Axis has the best image qualty that seen from any IP camera and you have alot more recording options then a DVR. let me know if you have any questions.

Cameras are good for giving you an idea of what happened, or in some cases proving that an individual did something, but the chances of you identifying sombody with a shot like that even during the day are slim. I've worked with CCTV for years and know that people put way to much stock in video.

Instead of spending $2000 on a camera that may give you some information on what happened, you'd be better off spending $200 on an alarm for your car that would prevent a break in like this.

Don't say "nobody pays attention to car alarms" at 2:00 am outside an apartment or condo, you would pay attention, your neighbors if nothing less would be annoyed, and the BG would definitely notice.

Steve, good point. Sometimes we get so caught up in HA and all the lastest toys, bells and whistles, we can forget the simple basics. Sure, you see a pic with a cam BUT your car is STILL broken into and things stolen including maybe even the car. A car alarm may also have those things happen but its the first basic line of defense. I still like the idea of hooking up 420 volt to the car handles some how, LOL.

Cameras are good for giving you an idea of what happened, or in some cases proving that an individual did something, but the chances of you identifying sombody with a shot like that even during the day are slim. I've worked with CCTV for years and know that people put way to much stock in video.

Instead of spending $2000 on a camera that may give you some information on what happened, you'd be better off spending $200 on an alarm for your car that would prevent a break in like this.

Don't say "nobody pays attention to car alarms" at 2:00 am outside an apartment or condo, you would pay attention, your neighbors if nothing less would be annoyed, and the BG would definitely notice.

I actually already have a car alarm but I must have hit the button in my pocket at some point and unlocked the doors and turned off the alarm.

Here are my plans as of now.

1) Install a better video camera since it's usually kids in the neighborhood that do this kind of stuff.

2) Put wireless motion sensors under the dash of each car so if someone gets in them after 9pm my Elk alarm panel will anounce it several times no matter if the house alarm is set or not. Hopefully, I can get it in a position where I won't have false alarms.

Does anyone have suggestions for wirless motions? I was thinking simply an x10 motion with a W800

Back