My experiences with (cheap) Network Cameras, Analog Cameras, and DVR Software

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

A couple of points:

• The Compro camera seems to be pretty stable. I haven't had any issues since after the first day and that could have been something I did.
  • I still think the Compro camera is the best I've tried (but I've really tried the cheapies). The only other issue that I've uncovered that I'm not 100% happy with is that the IR LEDs come on way before they need to and go off way after they need to in their automatic setting. They do have a timed setting that I am looking into now.
  • I've looked at Foscam cameras, but really have little interest in anything that isn't at least megapixel resolution. I would consider them for outdoor use if I wasn't already prewired with COAX. Maybe I will look at one for my next outdoor camera.
  • Someone asked if you could recognize a face from 20 - 30 feet. That is a hard question to answer since it really depends on the definition of "recognize". I can say that from 20 feet, I can recognize a face pretty clearly, particularly if I already know who the person is. Getting beyond that is a little iffy. However, I can say with certainty that it is MUCH easier to recognize a face with this camera than an analog camera. Compro appears to have a model exactly like the one I got with a 12x OPTICAL zoom. I haven't seen it for sale yet so I don't know how much it will cost, but that would definitely help with face recognition. Remember, this camera isn't rated for outside so it has a limited operating temperature range.
  • The support team from Blue Iris is currently working to get the ComPro camera added to their software. It sounds like they are almost there and just need to finish up the PTZ controls.

Anyone aware of an easy way (ie. cheap) to turn a analog camera into a networked camera? I have two hardwired cause they came prewired with my house. The cameras are coax with a power injector on the line. They feed into my cable distribution panel (OnQ 3x8 distribution box) so all the tv's can tune in, but I'd love to convert these to networked if possible and doesn't cost $$$.

Along this same line, what about using an old digital camera-you know, the ones that take photos that you hardly ever look at 'cuz they aren't in an album. There is a site in Canmore and othere places
that the webmaster, Jack Borno, has set up with an old Olympus camera. There is software that can control the camera and accept feeds from the USB connection, if I remember correctly. I also seem to remember site that lists cameras that can be controlled remotely with software running on a PC. I know that Jack kept his Olympus indoors, but in front of a window that has a great view. While there is no P or T, it can zoom.
This is a good way to recycle now obsolete cameras.

bobVisit My Website

iostream212,

In the late 1990's early 2000's I turned small footprint terminals which I purchased into wireless/networked cams using USB capture devices - one cam to one box setups.

Today depending on how much you want to spend you can do the same with small one to one or one to many web based analogue to digital boxes.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

A couple of points:

• The Compro camera seems to be pretty stable. I haven't had any issues since after the first day and that could have been something I did.
  • I still think the Compro camera is the best I've tried (but I've really tried the cheapies). The only other issue that I've uncovered that I'm not 100% happy with is that the IR LEDs come on way before they need to and go off way after they need to in their automatic setting. They do have a timed setting that I am looking into now.
  • I've looked at Foscam cameras, but really have little interest in anything that isn't at least megapixel resolution. I would consider them for outdoor use if I wasn't already prewired with COAX. Maybe I will look at one for my next outdoor camera.
  • Someone asked if you could recognize a face from 20 - 30 feet. That is a hard question to answer since it really depends on the definition of "recognize". I can say that from 20 feet, I can recognize a face pretty clearly, particularly if I already know who the person is. Getting beyond that is a little iffy. However, I can say with certainty that it is MUCH easier to recognize a face with this camera than an analog camera. Compro appears to have a model exactly like the one I got with a 12x OPTICAL zoom. I haven't seen it for sale yet so I don't know how much it will cost, but that would definitely help with face recognition. Remember, this camera isn't rated for outside so it has a limited operating temperature range.
  • The support team from Blue Iris is currently working to get the ComPro camera added to their software. It sounds like they are almost there and just need to finish up the PTZ controls.
Just want to give another quick update - the Blue Iris support team has added this camera as a supported camera and it works great. I've been using BlueIris with the IP540 for about 2 weeks now without a single hiccup. Mwave.com appears to be the only US distribution for this camera and they are currently out of stock of the IP540, but I do plan on ordering one or two more once they are available again. MWave does now have the IP570 (12x Optical Zoom) available but it is very pricy compared to the regular IP540. They also have POE versions of the IP540 and IP570 that are a little more expensive than their respective non-POE versions.

I am very, very happy with the support that Blue Iris has provided - I now have IP cameras from 4 different vendors along with mutliple analog cameras all working together in the same interface. Everything is great.

Scott

Another Update - Found a pretty decent outdoor IP camera. The Logitech Alert 700e.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Outdoor-Sec...7206&sr=8-1

If you've looked at Outdoor cameras rated for cold temps, you know they can be pretty expensive. Although not full Megapixel, this camera, at 960x720 has a significantly better picture than my analog cameras at 640x480. At $280, it is quite a deal.

These cameras ONLY have an Ethernet connector on the back - no provision for any type of power supply. The reason for this is that they are designed to run over a Homeplug network and be powered over their Ethernet from the Homeplug network - you basically plug in an adapter to an outlet and from the adapter to the camera with an ethernet cable. And another adapter near your network switch with the ethernet cable going from the adpater to the switch. There is a nice picture of this on the link above.

After some research, I found that although these cameras are designed to work on a Homeplug network, they also work with a POE switch. Since I am going to be putting multiple cameras in the same general area, it made a lot more sense for me to buy a 4 port POE switch than it did to run them all over a Homeplug network.

What you are "supposed" to do is buy a 750e Master Kit for $350 and the add on 700e for $280. Instead of doing this, I just bought the 700e and a $50 POE switch. This was a little cheaper, but also gave me an easier installation (for some, the Homeplug installation would be easier depending on where they want the cameras).

The only difference between the 750e and 700e is that the 750e kit gives you a second Homeplug adapter to plug in near your switch. Since I was using POE, this is unnecessary.

What I ended up doing is buying the first camera and powering it with the POE switch. However, since I didn't use the Homeplug adapter for the first camera, when I bought my second camera, I now had 2 Homeplug adapters and was able to use them to place the second camera out by my shed where there was no network connectivity. This was pretty cool and worked great.

And of course, these cameras work great with Blue Iris. There is a great thread over at the Logitech forums that explains how to set the camera up with Blue Iris:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Alert-Securi...tem/td-p/498968

I am almost done reviewing this kit, the picture quality is very nice for sure. Not too impressed with their outdoor model tho, ran into a couple of problems. I asked if one could access the camera video stream directly, and they said flatout no, that it would only work with their commander software. Now I see that you can access them directly after all, which is a pretty big deal for sure. Thanks for posting that info.

Scott12v,

Thank you for the write up on reasonably priced HD IP cams. Historically "wired" my outdoor analogue cams with Cat5e, Power and RG6 which gives me a base to test some HD cams.

for outdoor without a heater/blower/housing unit i have found Panasonic to have the cheapest models which are still decent cameras.

Some of their KX-HCM models are rated for outdoor. Also some bb-hcm outdoor models can be found here Panny BB-HCM

Maybe I can share my own experience with with camera security.

I started out with DLINK DCS-5300 cameras for intdoor use. They are easily accessible from internet and provide clear picture during the day and they is minimum lighting. I like a camera that shows true colors, so now I allways prefer cameras with ccd caption. CMOS is often suck in security camera.

Then I purchased a IP Video 9100a box on ebay and two camera from Microseven on ebay. The ip video 9100a was cheap at around $100 but it is not a dvr. You can have 4 cameras. For the price, it was not too bad and the quality was good. For the camera, they were not that good and I am not sure there are any better now. I also purchase BlueIris which worked well but needs a good cpu.

Two years ago, I purchased for my neighbor, a dvr from avermedia and two cameras from Gadspot. The camera are good for outdoor uses and rated for down to - 10 celcius. Even though temperature can drop to - 25 celcius in my area, they still work well.

I also purchase from e-bay, two Foscam ptz camera for around $100 each. They are wifi, so easy to place them anywhere. Because it is use cmos, colors are only ok. They work also in dark. On ebay, they are a lot of clone Foscam cameras that you can't apply firmware from Foscam, so be careful.

This summer, I purchased for myself two camera from Gadspot and also a DVR GS2003V. The dvr does a good job, but a bit noisy because the fan blows air under the unit. The software is ok, but as with Avermedia, they all seems to be developed in china. Designing a user interface is not their stronger point. But compared to Evermedia, I find it easier and faster to review recorded video with the Gadspot dvr.

Gadspot has since a couple of months, changed the line-up to include more cameras that I would doubt about their quality. They still have some of the previous line-up with varifocal, like the GS273C.

I still use one of my Microseven camera, but at night, I get a black horizontal line scrolling up.

A couple more updates.

I really can't say enough good things about the Logitech 700e that I mentioned previously. I have two running now and have never had an issue, and the picture is great. I plan to get at least two more. The only downside is that the IR doesn't project all that far, but if it can pick up any ambient light, it helps a lot.

On the downside, last night I tried two more "Megapixel" cameras and was extremely disappointed.
  1. The Eversun TSI3200 (http://www.newegg.co...1-003-_-Product) This camera was just awful. I thought it would at least be similar to the Compro Cameras that I've been using, but the picture quality was incredibly bad. I was looking at it in somewhat low light, but it was bad whether the IRs were on or off. The only good point to this one was motion was very fluid with the camera and the PTZ movement was quick. I adjusted all the setting, but ended up packaging it up and sending it back.
  2. The Zonet ZVC7640 (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16881153007). This one seemed like it had potential, but I couldn't get it to stay up for more than a couple of minutes at a time without locking up. There was a review similar to this on NewEgg, but I assumed the person just got a bad camera. I think the picture quality may have turned out okay, but it was hard to tell since I couldn't even adjust a setting without it locking up. I sent this one back too.

A couple of other notes - I still like my Compro IP540, but I'm having trouble with the IR lights. They are very erratic right now. Trying to work with Compro to get a new unit, but they aren't being very helpful. This is disappointing since the camera was/is a great value.

I also got a Compro IP70 and it has been pretty rock solid. Basically the same as the IP540 without the PTZ features. Right now they are going for $200 which I think is a little much (same price as the IP540) - when I got mine, it was on sale for $130 or so...at this price, a very nice camera. Only downside is that it is pretty large.

The next one I have on order is the LevelOne FCS-3030
http://global.level1...S-0030/753.html

This one was an impulse purchase after my disappointment with the Eversun and Zonet. We'll see how it goes.

Back