my.GasBuddy 0.3

I just noticed that the station ID is not reliable, it looks like it changes. I will try to have it look for the type of gas station, and the address, but not sure if this will be reliable enough (do people manually put that address in, or is it verified?).

Ok, I posted 0.2, which was a total rewrite. Since the GasBuddy HTML code can be complex to parse (since the ID is useless), I decided to use regular expressions. What does this mean for you? Not much, except that the script won't run into problems if the site code changes, or the user who submitted the gasprice mistyped the address (since you can use regular expressions in the actual variables as well).

I still need to add the timestamp, but that will be for later today or so. To get this script going, go to the gasbuddy site, search for your local gas station, and try to narrow down the list as much as you can (by specifying the gas station area & type of station i.e. Mobil). This will save some resources when processing this data.

Let me know if you run into problems, I have it up and running without any problems. Instructions will be updated soon, since I am still working on the code & features.

posted 0.3, includes the last updated timestamp in the device string, and also added some more error trapping.

Hi Dan,
Works great! thanx.
I assume if one wanted to monitor a few places for best price that you could setup GasBuddyMobil.txt and GasBuddySunoco.txt and keep seperate devices for each.

How's bout putting 5 device codes configured in the plugin with one data grab populating each of the 5 with the configured stations?

Not enough error trapping... locks my hs up so good you would think it was 2.0

for a test, try connecticutgasprices, Torrington, BJ's Member Price

What is RE syntax?

I think the ' might be a problem
try 'member price' instead of of the full name (without quotes) or replace ' with \' (escape the quote). Make sure you are running .3 or you will indeed have that lockup issue. What error are you getting?

David, support for an array of gas stations is next, but your current method of monitoring different places is probably the best way right now.

Btw, is anyone running this with HS 2.0?

Can I suggest a period after "per gallon" in the device string.

It makes the Kate sound more natural. ;)

Steve said:
Now for a real challenge. Can you write a script to run the other way. You enter a price, say 1.25 and send it to your local gas station, then go fill up at that price. Now THAT would be a cool script! :huh:
1.25? I'd fill up my trunk and back seat with gas ;).

I added the period to the device string, not sure why I didn't add that to begin with.

Glad to hear it is running with HS 2.0, I was a little concerned with the hs.GetUrl functionality. Thanks everyone!

I just noticed another potential issue: The station I selected had a higher price than the other 8, so it stopped being shown. :blink:

I just did another search with the same params and the list shows only 6! :blink: :blink:

Maybe the way to go is to just use the lowest price (top of the list; first occurrence of "PColLow") and display the location?

They will only show updates which are less than 84 hours old, not sure if this is what you are running into? Are you using regular expressions to grab this data as well?

Another suggestion.. or varient ....would it be possible to only key in on the town name, and report all stations, update times, and updated by all in one string?

not sure if I can do it without making some major changes, but it is something I am looking at (all depends on VBscripting limitations)

Back