My new Elk M1 Install thread

cheezit73 said:
 #1 I connected my Altronix AL400 and tested the DC output voltage which read 13.4, I assume this is ok and within tolerance but want to double check.

13.4V is ok for the DC output voltage.  But you should check the voltage on output to the battery, too.  This should be 13.5V to 13.8V when the battery is receiving a float charge.   My guess is you will also see 13.4V there.  I wouldn't worry too much about it being 0.1V low - that might just be due to an inaccuracy in your meter. The output of the AL400 is adjustable if it needs to be increased.

cheezit73 said:
#2 For remote location of my Uplink 4530ex would you run 22/4 for the power and supervision outputs or should I run a separate larger gauge /2 wire for the power?

Running 22/4 for power and supervision to the Uplink is ok.  The Uplink needs about 250 mA of current, with momentary peaks of 600 mA, and 22 gauge wire can handle that just fine.

cheezit73 said:
#3 My front door has two vertical windows on either side, trying to decide on a shock sensor on each vs a single glass break in the vicinity, any options? I would be going with Ademco wireless sensors.

Many of the glass break detectors spec a minimum window size of 12 in x 12 in.   The sidelights on most doors are about 7 in in width, so I'm not sure how that might affect the ability of the detector to trigger reliably.  Maybe someone else here knows the answer.    Otherwise, a shock sensor might be a better solution.

You need to pay attention to what you're running the AL400 for and which board it actually is. It makes a difference. Some will lose a volt or so when they switch to battery and in the specific case of the M1, any bus devices aren't happy once the voltage sags below 12VDC. You can slightly adjust the voltage via the trimmer on the board, but if you're up against the voltage to begin with, once you switch over to battery only, it's only going to get worse. I'm speaking mainly about bus devices on the M1, most other devices aren't as critical.

I wouldn't recommend the 22 AWG for the Uplink's power. You need to consider the length of the run vs. voltage drop on the run itself. At 100' at the end of the run, assuming 600 mA, you're going to be losing almost 2V vs. .75 on 18 AWG. While it may work, it's not the best idea to underpower the device in the field. Supervisory circuit, sure, but power is a bad idea.

You're not going to see as high a voltage as RAL is alluding to. Most 12V batteries are going to be running a volt higher than rated in service. Maybe with a large SLA greater than 26 aH, but the smaller ones aren't going to float that high. Also a balancing act between over-volt charging the units.

DELInstallations said:
You need to pay attention to what you're running the AL400 for and which board it actually is. It makes a difference. Some will lose a volt or so when they switch to battery and in the specific case of the M1, any bus devices aren't happy once the voltage sags below 12VDC. You can slightly adjust the voltage via the trimmer on the board, but if you're up against the voltage to begin with, once you switch over to battery only, it's only going to get worse. I'm speaking mainly about bus devices on the M1, most other devices aren't as critical.

I wouldn't recommend the 22 AWG for the Uplink's power. You need to consider the length of the run vs. voltage drop on the run itself. At 100' at the end of the run, assuming 600 mA, you're going to be losing almost 2V vs. .75 on 18 AWG. While it may work, it's not the best idea to underpower the device in the field. Supervisory circuit, sure, but power is a bad idea.

You're not going to see as high a voltage as RAL is alluding to. Most 12V batteries are going to be running a volt higher than rated in service. Maybe with a large SLA greater than 26 aH, but the smaller ones aren't going to float that high. Also a balancing act between over-volt charging the units.
Thanks for the reply DEL,

I was sure to pay attention to the specs and the board I got is specified for zero voltage drop on switch to battery power. Also all my bus devices are powered by the M1, mainly will be motions, M1XEP, Uplink, and SL1B powered off the Altronix. For the Uplink wiring the run will be no more than 20'.  I will test the Battery voltage output as well and see how it is doing.

Thanks again.

I'd still stay with 18 AWG. 600 mA is a pretty hefty load, even if it is brief and not that often. I usually pull a C5 and 18/2 to them and call it a day, does everything that needs to be done.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help so far! I have the basic system up and running. I just need to get the Uplink connected and my wireless receiver and should be fully functional!

Edit: I was able to educate myself on RJ45 phone vs CAT5 wiring and sorted this out. Uplink is Connected!

Ok next question! I am connecting my uplink 4530ex. The pinout diagram references pins 1-8.  May I assume that that would be referring to standard RJ45 pin numbering? Thank you!

Question on Firmware.  I am checking to see what versions everything is on through RP. I have 3 M1KP2 keypads with oddly different versions.

1 is Hardware version 1.4, Boot 3.0.14, and Firmware 2.1.54  This all seems the latest except the hardware.

2 are Hardware version 1.6, Boot 1.1.10,and Firmware 1.0.14 Which seems really old and has no reference on the ELK website!

Looking on recommendations but seems like I should update the 2 v1's

On my M1XEP would it be wise to update it from v2.0.22 to v2.0.30

Thanks!

The 2 oddballs would have me questioning because how can the HW version be that much different.

I'd get the HW matching as much as possible. The XEP, I would tread lightly because it's a usually non-reversable item that may change certain items you don't want to touch.

Thanks for the reply Dell. I went ahead and updated the XEP, went smoothly!  I will call Automated Outlet tomorrow and ask them about the Keypads which were all just bought new. But RP reports them as Hardware V1.6 and those lower software numbers. I am not sure how to tell the hardware revision (E-G, F)  but downloaded both boot loaders and the latest firmware into RP and it won't allow any updating of those to keypads (says no keep update files found.) Seems odd!

FWIW, the XEP should always be a as-needed as Elk makes the FW irreversable.

For the KP's, I can't comment as I get my equipment through open distribution (Elk's) and have not had an issue, 3rd party I can't comment.

You should be able to download the files and get them in via RP.

cheezit73 said:
Question on Firmware.  I am checking to see what versions everything is on through RP. I have 3 M1KP2 keypads with oddly different versions.

1 is Hardware version 1.4, Boot 3.0.14, and Firmware 2.1.54  This all seems the latest except the hardware.

2 are Hardware version 1.6, Boot 1.1.10,and Firmware 1.0.14 Which seems really old and has no reference on the ELK website!

Looking on recommendations but seems like I should update the 2 v1's

On my M1XEP would it be wise to update it from v2.0.22 to v2.0.30

Thanks!

Just in case anyone else comes across this, I called ELK directly and was informed that the Hardware v 1.6 keypads and associated firmwares are their latest Version 2 M1KP2 which has a different microprocessor.  For all intents and purposes there is nothing noticeable to the end user between the new and old.

Thanks again for everyone how has helped me so far! I am now officially up and running being monitored vis M1XEP and UPLINK 4530EX!!!

I went with Alarm Relay and they were a pleasure to work with and the setup process was very smooth! Now I just have to finish up some of the extras like my outside siren/strobe and fire zones. Now the real challenge of delving into the rules and automation begins!

Hi guys couple new questions.

On the Uplink now that it is active with the monitoring co should I flip the dip switch that locks out over the air programming?

When using Elk RP I changed the RP access code for my system and saved everything however every time I open my account in RP the default access code is loaded and I have to change it before I can access the panel.

Thanks!

Back