My post over on HST about new plugin prices..

This is my thoughts on the subject.

When I don't think something is worth the $, I don't buy it. To me, it's that simple. I do have a few of the free plug-ins that I use but I don't depend on them. If HST wants to raise prices for whatever reason, that is their choice. Your choice is whether you think it is worh it to continue paying for what you want - plugins included. I have been into this X10/home automation thing since the CP290 was THE interface. I've been around on these boards quite awhile and understand where people are comming from. I certainly respect everyone's opinion of this cost thing. But like I said, to me, it all comes down to what do you think it's worth.

I think it's great that HST is raising prices, hiring marketing people (person). It shows that they have a successful product and are trying to do what any one of us would do - make more money.

That said, I am not getting the worth out of HS that I used to get. I am finding it more difficult to stay enthusiastic about HS since almost everything new now has a fee. So, I downloaded Misterhouse again and will play around with it. (It's running now on this PC) That poduct has the same welcomming user community that HS has, code sharing, friendly knowlegable helpful users. And it's free.

Just my $0.02 Take it for what it's worth.
Joe W

Well I have no problem with letting HST decide to raise its prices for the software they write and for me to decide if its worth buying. Its the insistance to force everyone to raise their prices. In fact I would like to see how much of the increased prices the authors are really going to get.

John

Maybe martin can contact the plugin developers and try to make a deal with them?
If I had enough time I would try doing this.

Other people could sell their plugin through Martin at what they think a fair price would be.

I'm sure not everyone would jump aboard but once they saw the others sells increasing they may be willing.

By the way I heard people talk about cost of processing, depending on who their signed up with it should cost around 2.5 to 3 % .

BrianD

Just a thought

It seems with everyone they hire the price keeps going up with No more support. I could care less about them having a marketing guy I just want it to work without locking up. I still can't get the dusk/dawn timings to operate unless I reboot nightly. I personally see more and more people getting scared off because of the Price.

I offer a script that is in direct competition with the VWS Plug-In. There has never been any anomosity, or problems with this. In fact Ambient has posted my free script alongside the pay plug-in.

I've posted this before, but I believe that the real way to resolve the plugins is for HST to stop selling 3rd party software. If they like the plugin, I think they should pay the author and sell it for whatever they want. The arrangements can be between the author and HST. Otherwise, plugins can be sold/given away by the authors themselves.

I could not agree more. :D

Skibum said:
I've posted this before, but I believe that the real way to resolve the plugins is for HST to stop selling 3rd party software. If they like the plugin, I think they should pay the author and sell it for whatever they want. The arrangements can be between the author and HST. Otherwise, plugins can be sold/given away by the authors themselves.

I could not agree more. :D
Homeseer has that business model now of buying plugins from authors and then assuming ownership and support. Touchpad, Napco plugin, are examples. Several others. Actually, I would say these aren't as well supported as, say Doomotion or MLHSPlugin which are "privately" sold plugins. Because there seems to be an unintended grey area on whether the original author is responsible for the ongoing support and updates or whether Homeseer Tech is. The real answer is HS Tech (contractually).

Even with that relationship, I have found help from the original authors like Steve of the Napco plugin via a quick IM. I intentionally try to keep the support issue quick for them as I know they are not really responsible for the plugin once done coding to HS Tech specs (not to user specs necessarily).

I don't see any case (at least with the plugins I use) where support is an issue. The authors seem very interested and motivated whenever there are problems with their particular plugins. Do you think this will change with this new pricing structure?

I guess I never realized that Homeseer becomes the owner of the plugins also.

As I understand it there are several plugin / script models:

1) Homeseer develops the plugin or script and either includes it with Homeseer or 2) sells it seperately. Example of sell seperate is the HAI plugin that I believe Rick Tinker (HS) wrote. Homeseer is the support for these types of plugins.

3) Homeseer commisions an independent developer to develop a plugin for them which Homeseer sells. Example is Steve who wrote the Napco Gemini plugin. Homeseer is officially the support channel (not Steve).

4) Homeseer commissions an independent developer to develop a plugin for them and Homeseer gives it away free. Touchpad is an example of this. Homeseer is responsible for support.

5) Independent developer creates a plugin and sells it via the Homeseer plugin program. Example is MLHSPlugin that Krumpy developed. Developer is responsible for support of this type of plugin or script. This seems to be the catagory of most discussion as this type is subject to the pricing minimum which effectively rose the price for several plugins recently.

6) Independent developer creates a plugin and offers it free via Homeseer Updater.
HSGirder of George Photakis is example of this. Developer typically will provide support, but isn't required to do so by HS (I don't believe...).

7) Independent developer creates a plugin or script and offers it free via their own website. Tom Kern's shopping lists scripts is example of this type. Developer provides support on a voluntary basis.

So, lots of options. I don't believe Homeseer has changed the number of options. Only added a minimum price for option 5).

Rich finally chimed in :D
hand.jpg

I see. Well I just hope "we" (i.e. Cocoontech) don't upset these guys to much because I will be meeting them (face to face) later this week at CES! :D

I've got to admit that I'm a little put off by Rich's response. I don't particularly mind the price change - they can do whatever they want. If I don't want to pay what they charge, I won't buy.

But I don't like the way he basically states that the forums are a service that HST is providing - without acknowledging the amount of support provided by ordinary users. They have given us a medium through which users can help each other. The vast majority of the support provided on the forum does not come from HST employees. Nor are the people selling plugins the only people providing this help.

He's basically saying that we must pay for the privilege of helping his other customers.

Maybe I need to remove the script I just posted on the forum, encrypt it so it can be sold as a plugin, and add it to the updater. Then I can keep posting on the board. :D

I can see Rich being indignant about the responses they've been getting, but I also think he needs to step back a bit and think about it.

Hence my talk to the hand post. I was a little tweaked with rich's responses as well. Damn in, the forum is the cost of doing business. I agree with your support issues smee. Where in the heck does he think 85% (shooting from the hip here) comes from?

I so wanted to post :
" screw your forum, everyone should move to cocoontech!"
but then I would be breaking the posting rules. Well....maybe not, since there is no direct $$ conflict here!

Back