Need a multiple-AC/DC converter (Reduce # of Wall-Warts)

politics123

Hey all --

So, I have a few cameras that showed up from ebay, and now I need a way to power them. I was going to buy a few more wall-warts to add to the collection, but I recall reading *somewhere* here (but alas, I can't find the post/topic) that you can buy one high-efficiency/high-capacity AC-->DC converter that has multiple (configurable) outputs. In other words, one wall-wart instead of 20!

I know that ELK has a ELK-P412. That might be overkill, and it only distributes 12VDC. Any other products out there, especially those that allow you to specifiy the amount of juice to each output? Is the only other solution besides adding power strips?

Thanks!
Michael

Sorry, I was a bit confused. All the cameras I use are 24 VAC. You need only DC from your original post.

Sorry, I was a bit confused. All the cameras I use are 24 VAC. You need only DC from your original post.
Sorry. Yes, I need to handle my cameras, but I'd like to replace all my wall warts while I'm at it. Cameras can accept 12VDC or 24VAC (my choice). I prewired 14g speaker wire to handle power, so I can easily send 12VDC as far as needed, so I was going to choose it as my power-source.

Sorry. Yes, I need to handle my cameras, but I'd like to replace all my wall warts while I'm at it. Cameras can accept 12VDC or 24VAC (my choice). I prewired 14g speaker wire to handle power, so I can easily send 12VDC as far as needed, so I was going to choose it as my power-source.
So what voltages do you need other than 12vdc?

So what voltages do you need other than 12vdc?

Let's see:

Cameras (two of them now, will eventually have ~4): 12VDC
Wireless Linksys: 12VDC
VoIP gizmo (two of them, one is 5v, the other is in a box, but I'd bet its somewhere in the 5v-9v range)
Ethernet Switch
Sirius (5v)
ABUS AB-414ES (24VDC) -- 2 of them

At one time Radio Shack sold a gizmo that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket in your car. It had a switch to select output voltages from 4.5V to 12V. I used one for a 9V adapter by cutting off the cigarette lighter plug and wiring directly to the 12V supply on my Stargate.

If they still make them be sure to check the amps before purchasing. I don't think they can handle large loads.

Some people have had luck using a computer power supply. Me personally I check places like www.allectronics.com they often carry power supplies that will supply all three 12v dc 9v dc and 5v dc or maybe just two.

I purchased 1 in the past that supplies 12v dc 24 amps and 5v dc 24 amps. Most everything runs off that power supply.

StevenE

Some people have had luck using a computer power supply. Me personally I check places like www.allectronics.com they often carry power supplies that will supply all three 12v dc 9v dc and 5v dc or maybe just two.

I purchased 1 in the past that supplies 12v dc 24 amps and 5v dc 24 amps. Most everything runs off that power supply.

StevenE

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of that!!

The power supply is at the bottom right, it powers 3 cabinets and more of stuff.
Ocelot and 5 modules. 4 cameras, Router, access point, relays, 2 - 12volt pumps, Alarm system, AB8SS, ~15 motion sensors, and a few more items.

Just for reference the wires you see coming off the power supply are 8guage.

p.s. don't pay attention to the lose wires, I am in the process of adding some more motion sensors.
StevenE

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 78
The power supply is at the bottom right, it powers 3 cabinets and more of stuff.
Ocelot and 5 modules. 4 cameras, Router, access point, relays, 2 - 12volt pumps, Alarm system, AB8SS, ~15 motion sensors, and a few more items.

Just for reference the wires you see coming off the power supply are 8guage.

p.s. don't pay attention to the lose wires, I am in the process of adding some more motion sensors.
StevenE

I altered the link slightly. This seems to be the production in question. One review rated "negative" but with positive comments. Always makes me wonder whether the user has a clue! :D

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item..._3.3V_12A_.html

Outputs:
+5V / 22A,
+12V / 6A,
3.3V / 13A,

+5VSB / 1.5A,
-12V / 0.3A.

Pretty good idea to go with a PC power supply, I just wish it didn't have a fan. (consumes power, even if the current load is low)

I guess what I'm really looking for:
1) Multiple DC outputs
2) High/efficiency A/C conversion so as to not suck/waste power when devices don't require it
3) etc.

... doesn't really exist. Will continue the search and provide updates.

Also note the fuse panel on the lower left side as this is good practice (using some type of fused distribution) when using these larger supplies.

Actually Each panel has a fused distribution point like that. And the fuses are all closely matched for the particular use.
A motion sensor doesn't really need a 10 amp fuse. :D
Yet more than a dozen motion sensors seem to need a 5 amp fuse.

StevenE

Back