Need advice controlling IR switched AC

gpg

I have been using X10 and Insteon to control my Air Conditioners using 110v/220v ApplianceLincs. The latest A/C I have installed has an electronic control panel and an IR remote, as opposed to mechanical on/off switch which I can leave turned on.

I have been using the built in 12 hour timer to control the unit, but would like to include it with my Insteon/X10 system for timing and control.

I have looked around the automation forums/sites, but mostly see IR control focused on home theater setups. I am looking for a single insteon or X10 controller that can learn and transmit IR signals to my AC IR panel to turn the unit on/off. I would prefer a controller that can be attached to the IR sensor or positioned line-of-sight, but would consider modifying the A/C switch internally.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this?

Thanks.

I have been using X10 and Insteon to control my Air Conditioners using 110v/220v ApplianceLincs. The latest A/C I have installed has an electronic control panel and an IR remote, as opposed to mechanical on/off switch which I can leave turned on.

I have been using the built in 12 hour timer to control the unit, but would like to include it with my Insteon/X10 system for timing and control.

I have looked around the automation forums/sites, but mostly see IR control focused on home theater setups. I am looking for a single insteon or X10 controller that can learn and transmit IR signals to my AC IR panel to turn the unit on/off. I would prefer a controller that can be attached to the IR sensor or positioned line-of-sight, but would consider modifying the A/C switch internally.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this?

Thanks.

You might want to check, I believe some of the window units with electronic controls will come back on in the mode they were in if power is removed and then reapplied.

Brian

You might want to check, I believe some of the window units with electronic controls will come back on in the mode they were in if power is removed and then reapplied.
That would solve the problem, but this unit reverts to 'power off' when plugged back in. It will retain the time/timer settings for a while, but loses everything when unplugged for an extended amount of time.

Thanks for the idea, it might help me another time.
-George.

Back