need advice

martinsbt

Hi all

I am new here as you see (my first post, yeeeeee!) :)

I am building my new house and here is the material i choosed and bought so far:

-ELK M1 Gold Kit with 2 keypads
-Channel vison speakers in every room (6 zones)
-ELK 28 inch Structured wirin panel
-Exp serial card for ELK M1
- PCS UPB switches
-PCS UPB PIM-R (for interfacing ELK to UPB)
-PCS UPB PIM-U (for my PC,tonse UPstart)
- Mov detectors, glass break detectors ad all doors and windows contacts
- Aube thermostat (240Vac) with remote setback contact (connected on outputs of ELK for night setback)

I also run myself all the Phone(cat5e), network(cat5e) and cable\satellite(RG6) cables to my main panel in the basement.
I will also run a cat5e and 2 wire speakers to each zone even if i didnt decided yet what mulyi-room audio system i am going to go with...

I am looking to get the most of my automation system, so i am wandering if there is anything that i am missing that would worth doing? Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.

Also, as for the audio system, i love the nuvo essentia keypads and the nuvo ports but geeeeeee they are annoyingly expensive!!! i wish i could find an affordable, good quality multi audio system that has LCD keypad that allows me to browse my playlist and tunes from itune or mediaplayer!!!! i

thanks in advance for your suggestions

I'll chime in with two points, though you should pursue the Wiring 101 guide along with the many posts about new construction wiring.

1. Are you using the 28" panel for all wiring termination, or just the Elk stuff? If for everything, you will need to upgrade the size to atlest a 42 or 50", and possiblely two panels.

2. I feel your pain about a DA system that has metadata at the keypad and is affordable, I have been looking for about a year for such a system. However, if you want keypads (there are cheaper ways to go if you can live with no keypads, ie controlling from a touchscreen or remote-like device) and metadata, the Nuvo Essentia with Music Port is the lest expensive option you are going to find. Trust me, the cost goes much higher with the other systems.

--Jamie

Above all else, run 2x as much wire as you think you'll need, and you'll still be short.

IE, you're running 1 Cat5e and 2 speaker wires to each room, but what if you decide you want to mount a touchpanel? Or perhaps you want to put motions in every single room, and wire up closet doors so you can do automated lighting. Or add a glass break sensor. Or more HA speakers. Or internal temp sensors. Or get into home theater automation, meaning you want to monitor your TV cuz you were smart and got an RS232 one. Or put in a local IR receiver as they're cheap and easy and can run over a cat5e.

Running 2 extra cat5e, 1 extra 18g/4c wire, 2 speaker wires would help, but you see how even then you could quickly run short once everything is built out and you've gotten your system stable.

If you consider the Russound CAV6.6, there is a free application written that interfaces with J.River Media Center to give you track data, playlists, etc. on the Russound keypads (and more). I personally use it in my home to stream 4 sources of MP3s and internet radio (+2 sources which are standard FM tuners, so 6 sources in all) to 12 zones in my home.

If you consider the Russound CAV6.6, there is a free application written that interfaces with J.River Media Center to give you track data, playlists, etc. on the Russound keypads (and more). I personally use it in my home to stream 4 sources of MP3s and internet radio (+2 sources which are standard FM tuners, so 6 sources in all) to 12 zones in my home.

Does anyone know how to get the application that interfaces Russound with J.River (cav66.exe)? The links from J. River and AVSForum are all broken.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

I saw a few people on AVSForum were looking for a link and/or a way to donate to receive the latest version. The software seems to be in limbo as the author hasn't updated the thread in quite a while, and as you said the link is dead.

I've sent an email to the author to see his response, but haven't heard anything yet.

If I get the OK from him I can post a link to download from.

I saw a few people on AVSForum were looking for a link and/or a way to donate to receive the latest version. The software seems to be in limbo as the author hasn't updated the thread in quite a while, and as you said the link is dead.

I've sent an email to the author to see his response, but haven't heard anything yet.

If I get the OK from him I can post a link to download from.

Thank you!

Michael

Back