Need An Insteon Firmware Flashing Device

I've learned a bit about Insteon in this, thanks. I guess I need to take mine apart, I have not swapped paddles so never noticed the port.

Your idea makes a lot of sense though, especially since you reference how they do it. If they have an approach already, and a tool to do so, I wonder if it is easier to sell it. In your case even more so given the larger installation.

If it were a dealer targeted tool it would take the heat off of them in some cases as well. Another $100 item. A third party would need to know the details.

Perhaps you could be part of a beta test of the unit :angry:

upstatemike said:
Reads data out and Writes it back.
Hi Upstate,

We use a "code protection" bit on the processors to disable reading back (uploading) the programming. This was done mainly for competitive reasons where we need to closely guard the programming code and (if disassembled) the programming linw data. If you were able to fabricate a cable and a device to read the processor chip, it would respond with an error.

I was discussing your message with SmarthomeMike on Thursday and we talked about ways guys like you could get something like this from us on a loaner basis. Don't know what or if it will happen, but we are thinking. Luckily, we have not had too many reasons were a device needed upgrades due to firmware improvements. KeypadLinc V2 is probably the device that would most benefit from this idea. LampLinc and SwitchLinc...I still running alpha firmware from Dec2004 in my home...no big deal. And I have one of those programmers in my office to bring home and update my modules at any time....but I haven't. :angry:

SJ

A firmware updating tool would probably minimize hesitation on some users to add to their system. I would hate to buy a new product like this only to find that if I waited I would have more features or less bugs and do not have the ability to upgrade the firmware in the future.

I bought 10 switches/dimmers and have installed 4. I am actually thinking of returning the other 6 and waiting 6 months and then going all out and buy about 20. I would do it know but the product seems to be in its infancy and I hate to waste money on a product that will have more features and less bugs a few months later. If I could upgrade later as you add features or eliminate bugs I would buy them now.

I have an ELK M1 and they are constantly improving the product and I just have to download the firmware and install it. To me that added tremendous confidence and value to the product.

SmarthomeJohn said:
upstatemike said:
Hi Upstate,

We use a "code protection" bit on the processors to disable reading back (uploading) the programming. This was done mainly for competitive reasons where we need to closely guard the programming code and (if disassembled) the programming linw data. If you were able to fabricate a cable and a device to read the processor chip, it would respond with an error.

I was discussing your message with SmarthomeMike on Thursday and we talked about ways guys like you could get something like this from us on a loaner basis. Don't know what or if it will happen, but we are thinking. Luckily, we have not had too many reasons were a device needed upgrades due to firmware improvements. KeypadLinc V2 is probably the device that would most benefit from this idea. LampLinc and SwitchLinc...I still running alpha firmware from Dec2004 in my home...no big deal. And I have one of those programmers in my office to bring home and update my modules at any time....but I haven't. :angry:

SJ
SJ-

Thanks for the response. I agree that Keypadlincs are the primary target for rom upgrades. I don't know what potential switch features might warrant an upgrade unless a change was made to permit them to be put into programming mode remotely so that X-10 addresses could be programmed via software.

I only have about a dozen keypads but the time involved in uninstalling them and replacing them with newer versions (including the time to transfer all the button labels) makes your loaner idea sound attractive. If you want to pilot the idea and need a guinea pig, I would like to give it a try.

-Mike

Digger said:
I bought 10 switches/dimmers and have installed 4.  I am actually thinking of returning the other 6 and waiting 6 months and then going all out and buy about 20.  I would do it know but the product seems to be in its infancy and I hate to waste money on a product that will have more features and less bugs a few months later.  If I could upgrade later as you add features or eliminate bugs I would buy them now.
Digger,

I think there may be a misconception in regards to the switches (V2 dimmers/relays) as we are not actively adding any new features due to the code space being full (bigger chip = more $$$ = not a $40 switch).

We have rolled out a few minor bug fixes in the firmware mainly to address some obscure X10 anomalies. In your case I do not know what waiting 6 months will do.

I also have some of the early alpha firmware in my home and I have seen no reason to flash it to current version. :D

SmartLabsMike said:
We have rolled out a few minor bug fixes in the firmware mainly to address some obscure X10 anomalies.
SmartLabsMike, is the problem with multiple X10 addressing before receiving a command one of the X10 anomalies?

SmarthomeJohn said:
KeypadLinc V2 is probably the device that would most benefit from this idea.
What has changed or will change in the Keypadlincs? I'm about to place an Insteon order to replace my 15 remaining x10 devices, and this will include several keypadlincs. Should I wait? What version is the most current with the keypadlincs?

Speaking of the keypadlinc v2's, has anyone else noticed that if you press the buttons near the edges they almost pop off?

SmartLabsMike said:
I think there may be a misconception in regards to the switches (V2 dimmers/relays) as we are not actively adding any new features...
There are however a few things that people are still hoping will be addressed in a future firmware update. The Upstate Institute for Advanced Insteonics has compiled the following list of most often requested Insteon firmware enhancements:

1- Reduce the flickering seen in KeypadLinc LEDs when other controllers are transmitting.

2- The option to use double and triple switch taps for alternate groups. (But leave the option disabled by default so people who don't need this functionality do not have to deal with response delays related to tap count verification).

3- Enable the Read_EE command in switches and plug-in modules so local ramp rates and on levels can be set from software without a visit to the device to push the programming button. (This will probably be needed in fixture modules anyway so why not enable it in everything?)

4- A direct command that will cause a device to send a group command just as if it had been operated manually. I.E. send a command to keypadlinc button 3 and whatever is linked to that button operates without you having to know what those links are.

5- Allow X-10 commands in the format A1, A2, A-ON, to operate correctly.

SmarthomeJohn said:
upstatemike said:
And I have one of those programmers in my office to bring home and update my modules at any time....but I haven't.SJ
So you are saying if we send our old KPL's to you, that you can upgrade them and send them back to us. :D

SmarthomeJohn said:
I was discussing your message with SmarthomeMike on Thursday and we talked about ways guys like you could get something like this from us on a loaner basis.
Worst case would be to allow authorized Dealers to be able to flash the devices. As a dealer it would be great to be able to flash a device with the latest and greates before the customer gets it. Also if they are having issues that could be resolved with a flash we could do it and save on shipping back for a replacement and waiting for a return. Then the DIY's could aways bring the switch to a local dealer and have it flashed or even talk a dealer into coming over for dinner and do some flashing. :D

By the way I have been requesting this from my SH Rep since day one!

upstatemike said:
There are however a few things that people are still hoping will be addressed in a future firmware update. The Upstate Institute for Advanced Insteonics ....
That's great: the UIAI.

You know I was thinking the same thing when I was writing that. I almost was unable to press <Add Reply> because I was laughing so hard. I was think in my mind of walking into someones house and opening my coat wide with nothing under, then saying "Ok, your all flashed!"

toymaster458 said:
SmarthomeJohn said:
I was discussing your message with SmarthomeMike on Thursday and we talked about ways guys like you could get something like this from us on a loaner basis.
Worst case would be to allow authorized Dealers to be able to flash the devices. As a dealer it would be great to be able to flash a device with the latest and greates before the customer gets it. Also if they are having issues that could be resolved with a flash we could do it and save on shipping back for a replacement and waiting for a return. Then the DIY's could aways bring the switch to a local dealer and have it flashed or even talk a dealer into coming over for dinner and do some flashing. :)

By the way I have been requesting this from my SH Rep since day one!
I buy my equipment from Martin at Automated Outlet, and I'm pretty darn sure I don't want him to flash me no matter what kind of shape he's in! But back to the topic:

I have about 25 Insteon switches at this point and see little reason to upgrade them. HOWEVER, I'm also hesitating on replacement of another 25 or so that are currently hardwired Lightolier Multiset Pro switches. This is due to a need to replace an additional 8 Keypadlincs along with this. Based on the reports I've read about those, I don't plan to purchase them until they are updated OR I could update the firmware myself.

The dealer idea is good for those that use a local dealer, but Martin about 1800 miles from me. That's a heck of a shopping trip, or a long housecall for Martin. I realy like the idea of a loaner device.

SmarthomeJohn said:
I was discussing your message with SmarthomeMike on Thursday and we talked about ways guys like you could get something like this from us on a loaner basis. Don't know what or if it will happen, but we are thinking... SJ
Now that the flicker situation on the KeypadLincs has been resolved I have a good reason to want to try a firmware upgrade. Any progress on the loaner idea?

Back