Need some guidance

I am sure this is going to raise eyebrows but here is a question: Can you use the ground for the neutral? If you opened up your panel you would see that the ground and neutral are really one in the same. I am sure this isn't up to code but the alternative to re-feeding those switches seems overly complicated.
Neil;

This is not a good idea as it will put current on the ground wiring system, thus causing a safety issue. The ground wiring scheme is to keep all appliances, outlets, etc... at the same (ground reference) potential.

I am sure this is going to raise eyebrows but here is a question: Can you use the ground for the neutral? If you opened up your panel you would see that the ground and neutral are really one in the same. I am sure this isn't up to code but the alternative to re-feeding those switches seems overly complicated.
Neil;

This is not a good idea as it will put current on the ground wiring system, thus causing a safety issue. The ground wiring scheme is to keep all appliances, outlets, etc... at the same (ground reference) potential.

I agree that it seems like a bad idea, however if you put a multimeter across ground and neutral in resistance mode you would see they are indeed tied together.

Is there no current running over ground even though they are junctioned in the panel?
Neil

I agree that it seems like a bad idea, however if you put a multimeter across ground and neutral in resistance mode you would see they are indeed tied together.

Is there no current running over ground even though they are junctioned in the panel?
Correct. In a properly terminated electrical panel and residential electrical systems, the ground is ONLY tied to neutral in the electrical panel itself (i.e. the ground is isolated from any neutrals in other areas of the home). The neutral wire is the only return path.

Back