Need some help with ELK timers

raymondh

I am controlling my garage door with the remote (wires soldered between it and output 3) I would like a way to make sure the door gets closed instead of blind faith that with the "button is pushed" the door will close.

I have a sensor on the door so the ELK knows if it's open or closed.

What I would like to do is use an f-key to close it (I have that working) and if the door is showing closed within 30-seconds (or whatever) close output 3 again. If after 1 or 2 tries, it still isn't showing closed, I would have it email me. I would like to use this same kind of logic for arming away (i.e. if after arming away the garage door isn't closed withing 10-minutes, close it, etc).

How can this be done?

What I would like to do is use an f-key to close it (I have that working) and if the door is showing closed within 30-seconds (or whatever) close output 3 again. If after 1 or 2 tries, it still isn't showing closed, I would have it email me.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do with the above quote. As far as closing the garage door in case you forget that's an easy one. Go here http://www.elkproducts.com/support/M1_Appl...1news012605.htm. If you have any more questions just ask.

What I would like to do is use an f-key to close it (I have that working) and if the door is showing closed within 30-seconds (or whatever) close output 3 again. If after 1 or 2 tries, it still isn't showing closed, I would have it email me.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do with the above quote. As far as closing the garage door in case you forget that's an easy one. Go here http://www.elkproducts.com/support/M1_Appl...1news012605.htm. If you have any more questions just ask.

I am pretty sure he means that he wants a "check" to insure the door is closed. I think he means add a normally closed sensor to the door. Then, when he pushes the f key, momentarily close Output 3, start a timer to countdown the time it takes for the door to close normally...then check the sensor to insure it reports closed. If it doesn't, increment a counter, restart the process ( i.e., momentarily close Output 3, restart timer....) and if it fails, restart the process, only if the counter is >2 goto Send email (or announce...or flash lights, etc.)

I have a normally closed sensor on the door, but I have not added "logic" to verify door status...I think that is a good idea. Also, I have planned to add a normally open sensor that will close when the door is in the fully open position. Then, I should be able to determine when the door is open, closed or anywhere in the middle.

Also, I would also be able to determine *which* way the door moved when Output 3 is cycled...that might allow you to immediately trigger Output 3 a second time (say the door was half open and went up when you triggered Output 3, but you want the door to close. I know I am rambling but I guess what I mean is that you can then use "open" and "close" intentionally.

I am pretty sure he means that he wants a "check" to insure the door is closed.
That would mean that he had already driven away or he could just look at the garage door to see if it was closed. The following rule should take care of the concern and is one I have used on a customers install. It only requires one normally closed switch when the garage door is secure. If the switch is open the garage door is not secure.

WHENEVER Area One (Area 1) IS ARMED AWAY
THEN TURN Output 208 ON FOR 5 MINS

WHENEVER Output 208 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Area One (Area 1) IS ARMED AWAY
AND Garage Door (Zn 3) IS NOT SECURE
THEN TURN Garage Door (Out 9) ON FOR 5 SECS

In the above Rule you may want to restart Output 208 again so the system will recheck for the garage door closed again.

That would mean that he had already driven away or he could just look at the garage door to see if it was closed. ...

Well, since the door is automated, he might not even be home when he opened the door. Say to let a neighbor return your folding table, or accept a delivery, or admit a repair person, etc.

Just thinking out loud...

Well, since the door is automated, he might not even be home when he opened the door. Say to let a neighbor return your folding table, or accept a delivery, or admit a repair person, etc.

Just thinking out loud...
Now I'm really confused. So all this garage door opening, garage door closing, arming, disarming, is being done from a remote location?

The elk can open and close the garage door (via output 3).

I have a sensor on the door to report it's status (open or closed)

I set up a rule that activates the door if I press F4 or the * key on a remote.

Now I would like to add some logic to the ELK to make sure the door actually closes when the button (remote or keypad) is pressed.

Further, I would like to create some automation based on arming status and time of day to have the Elk close the door without human interaction.

Now I better understand. Can't you do an F-key illumination toggle to give you the status of the garage door? Rules for closing the door if open is no problem, you just need to determine when to trigger the event that looks to see if the garage door is open and if all of the conditions are met for closing it.

Yes, I have the light blinking but what I'm looking to do is "wife proof" it a bit. She likes to push a button and have it just work. so I would like to have a way to (as much as possible) make sure the door is closed by checking that it actually closed and if not, issue the command again, and if it still isn't closed do something else (notify me).

Okay, that's just a matter of starting a timer after the first button press. When the timer counts down to zero, and the door isn't closed, activate the relay again that will close the door. I'd have to look at the actual rule language, but start a timer again, and if the door still isn't closed, send you an email.

Back