• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

New automation project

Mike

Well as of this morning, I have a new automation project I was looking for feedback on: Automated diaper changing (I am now the proud father of a baby boy)....

I was looking at the Automated Outlet site but found nothing.

I thought perhaps there was a driver for CQC, but alas no.

I looked at the tips and tricks for the Elk... nothing.

I looked through the MainLobby packages and nothing in those screens.

I even looked at all the Homeseer plugins.... nada!

Insteon devices now or in the future? nope

ZWave support? None I could find.

Functionality from UPB after a slight pause to check for double/triple clicks? no

Theoretical discussions on possible implementation designs from Upstate Mike?
Not yet

What the hell? This can't be a new problem... Any recommendations?

;) :D :D

Mike

Hehe, well the baby's name is taken care of already (Jason Michael), we can work on a name for the automation project though...

Just think of the revenue opportunity in this project.....

(rushes off to patent the concept of changing diapers)

elcano

My 2nd child was born on 5/24/06, and I'm was pending to post the good news here, but with so many things happening at the same time I forgot about it. Actually, my wife's dad died the same day (he was sick already), so it is difficult to mention one event without remembering the other. That's life. ;)

Anyway, I should had come here, because at the time of birth we had not decided on a name yet - it took us a few more days to choose.

Congratulations Mike!

upstatemike

Mike said:
Theoretical discussions on possible implementation designs from Upstate Mike?
Not yet
I have the outline of an idea. So far it involves a whole-house vacuum system and an extra large tesla coil... I'll let you know when I get it worked out.

Congratulations on the new addition!

Spanky

Congratulations on your new addition.

I would be happy to help program the M1 to wake you up every two hours while in a deep sleep. ;)

Squintz

I heard that "they" are coming out with something new. I think the estimated time frame is about the 3rd quarter of 2012. It will be called "6yr old Kid". From what I hear you will then be able to simply use voice commands and have the "6yr old kid" do whatever you ask. I am currently a beta tester for the "6yr old kid" and I must admit it is nice. However, every now and then it simply stops responding for no aparent reason.

Enjoy them now while their cute. Congrats!

Steve

Congrats Mike and elcano!

Squintz: Problem with the 6yr old kid is it completely malfunctions at 13.

Mike - I understand they were testing a model that worked ok but they are having difficulty making it waterproof which they found was required for changing boys (garden hose syndrome) :lol: I think they are redesigning and will be available in 3 years - just when you won't need it any more! Good luck...

deranged

Well I have been running the 6yr old kid beta for the past 3 and 5 years.

I have noted some problems during the beta test.

There tends to be periods of complete incomprehension.
There are many issues with tasks being left incomplete.
A constant occuring of items dropped and rooms left in a chaotic state.
Fits of incompatibilities which usually end with a constant loud noise.

And last year 1 of the them hacked into computers systems in the house and attempted to upgrade himself.

And know I find out it completely fails when 13 is reached .... UGH... :lol:
StevenE

Congrats on the new baby. Enjoy....