New house and totally confused now on Automation/Security

Here is a bit of wiki stuff:
PBX

PBX is a system that connects telephone extensions of a company to outside public telephone network as well as to mobile networks. An IP (Internet Protocol) PBX (Private branch exchange) is a PBX that provides audio, video, and instant messaging communication through the TCP/IP protocol stack for its internal network and interconnects its internal network with the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) for telephony communication.
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) gateways can be combined with traditional PBX functionality enabling businesses to use their managed intranet to help reduce long distance expenses, enjoy the benefits of a single network for voice and data and advanced CTI features or be used on a pure IP system which in most cases give greater cost savings, greater mobility, and increased redundancy.
An IP-PBX can exist as a hardware object, or virtually, as a software system.
Function
Because a part of PBX functionality is provided in software, it is relatively inexpensive and makes it easy to add additional functionality, such as conferencing, XML-RPC control of live calls, Interactive voice response (IVR), TTS/ASR (text to speech/automatic speech recognition), Public switched telephone network (PSTN) interconnection ability supporting both analog and digital circuits, Voice over IP protocols including SIP, Inter-Asterisk eXchange, H.323, Jingle (extension of XMPP protocol introduced by Google Talk) and others.
SIP (Session Initial Protocol) enabled PBX are used to make multimedia communication (voice and video calls) over IP network. It uses enhanced encryption techniques and proxy servers to form sessions of calls over internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_PBX

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a signaling communications protocol, widely used for controlling multimedia communication sessions such as voice and video calls over Internet Protocol (IP) networks.
The protocol defines the messages that are sent between peers which govern establishment, termination and other essential elements of a call. SIP can be used for creating, modifying and terminating two-party (unicast) or multiparty (multicast) sessions consisting of one or several media streams. Other SIP applications include video conferencing, streaming multimedia distribution, instant messaging, presence information, file transfer, fax over IP and online games.
Originally designed by Henning Schulzrinne and Mark Handley in 1996, SIP has been developed and standardized in RFC 3261 under the auspices of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). It is an application layer protocol designed to be independent of the underlying transport layer; it can run on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP) or Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).[1] It is a text-based protocol, incorporating many elements of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP).[2]
SIP works in conjunction with several other application layer protocols that identify and carry the session media. Media identification and negotiation is achieved with the Session Description Protocol (SDP). For the transmission of media streams (voice, video) SIP typically employs the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP), which may be secured with the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP). For secure transmissions of SIP messages the protocol may be encrypted with Transport Layer Security (TLS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

You can today "roll your own" PBX box and have SIP devices just talk to your own personal PBX box. 

askj said:
Thanks a lot for responses. We are building the house in Connecticut. Infact I will be signing the contract tomorrow. I spoke to the builder and he said that his electrician will rough in for central VAC and security system, I do not know how much detailed they will be. I asked about CAT6, he said wires are expensive, but he will be willing to put the CAT 6 in for me if I buy the wire myself.  I think that when I tell the electrician to have multiple drops per room, he will say that he is going to charge for that. I am kind of little prepared and I was thinking of helping the electrician to keep the cost low.
-Amit
Where in CT? This is my home state.

I did some homework today and tried to find out what can be done and what can not be done.
As I mentioned that I want the video intercom from main entrance as well as garage door entrance with the ability of getting a call/some kind of notice either on my cell phone/iPods/Tablets/OmniTouch (whichever is cheaper) and then based on what I see or hear with the outside person, I should be able to open the main entrance door or the garage door. I also want intercom facility in each room, so that no shouting/yelling inside the house along with the security, motion sensor etc. What I have found out is that I can do all that with following solution.
1. Omni Pro II controller
2. 5 Omnitouch 5.7e or 7 (for intercoms inside the house intercom ability)
3. 2 2n Helios video with keypad
4. LEV-VRC0P-1LW
5. Yale Z-wave deadbolt
6. Some kind of relay module to open garage door.
7. Some security Window/Door contacts, two - four motion sensors, few glass breaks etc.

The cost is coming somewhere 1300+3000+2500+80+220+50+500 = 7650 + wiring cost + software + some other unknowns

I guess all this is happening because I want the video door entry intercom and all other rooms with plain intercom. I looked into Central vision video intercom system, but I can not get any call and then open the door. Any other cheaper suggestions? 

askj said:
I live in Rocky Hill but building house in Suffield.
Not too far off the beaten path.

I pass by there when I'm up working at Umass.

I did a bunch of historic properties in the center of town. One of them was used by Kissinger and Nixon back in the day. Pretty nice and wild install.

Give a shout if you need some specific info.

I am kind of surprised, I found few posts for this kind of system but those people did not want to have it integrated with HAI or any other automation system, I should not be the only one, who want to have this kind of system. I will take a look at the rssound.

Many people use phones for intercom, the concept of "talking to the wall" is a bit outdated. We always had a Panasonic KT system, you can have an intercom station wherever you have a phone jack, near a bed or chair rather than on a wall. Panasonic has its own video display, but we use TVs and tablets. You can make your own video intercom from different components if you can integrate them yourself. The video part these days is the easy one, lots of inexpensive IP cameras on the market, but for speech the old phone technology is still the best.

HAI and Elk security and automation integration while a few years old now has seasoned well. 

That said the features set relating to the integration of both security and automation for the price is still way ahead of anything you see today. 

Personally I went with HAI in the early 2000's.  That said I also purchased a second HAI OPII panel in the mid 2000's for another home.  For that home I went with a direction of a small footprint closet with the HAI OPII Pro panel and a Leviton panel configured in one closet within another closet.  I am pushing the first panel a bit using all of its serial ports and many added pieces; even some that I have not utilized yet.  2nd panel is doing security and a little bit of automation. 

Concurrent with the HAI OPII panel I also run software called Homeseer for the automation.  I started to play with Homeseer in the late 1990's.  Today still playing and using it.  I am into weather and related stuff.  Lately decided that I would prefer to get my weather maps directly from satellite versus the internet.  More to see if I can do it and to play with another type of integration into the automation stuff.

That said the software automation has some 20 plus analog connections to it doing this or that, integration into the CCTV stuff (like the HAI panel) and a custom design software touchscreen piece which lets you design touchscreens for Wintel, Android, Linux and Apple touch screens.

Its a bit overkill but my home is a sandbox today and WAF is OK with it.

Here I have been migrating my cctv stuff from analog to IP.  The main CCTV box has an 8 port analog DVR card and currrenty some 8-12 IP cameras on it.  Some 6 of the IP cameras are HD IP (1080 and 720) today.

Concurrently looking to integrate telephony (video intercom) stuff with my HAI touchscreens and other touchscreens / tablets used for automation control consoles. 

That said I want to be able to integrate the legacy HAI Video server (which connects to the legacy 5.7 touchscreens).

Yesterday recieved a Grandstream GVX3500.
its a unique device in that it will take analog video and convert it to IP or it will take IP video and convert it to analog.
The GXV3500 is an innovative next generation IP video encoder + decoder + public announcement system 3-in-1 combo device.
It features cutting edge H.264 real-time video compression for analog video as well as IP video decoding with excellent image clarity. It offers industry leading SIP/VoIP for 2-way audio, video streaming to mobile phones and video phones, integrated PoE, a large pre-/post-event recording buffer, and advanced security protection. Its integration of comprehensive peripherals including microphone input, alarm control and TV/audio output allows the device to also function as a powerful and flexible voice/video public announcement system using microphones, IP phones, or IP video phones.
The GXV3500 can be managed with GSurf, Grandstream’s advanced and intuitive video management software that controls up to 36 cameras simultaneously. It offers an HTTP API and is fully compliant with ONVIF standard. The GXV3500 is an advanced first-of-its-kind IP video encoder + decoder + public announcement system 3-in-1 combo product for professional surveillance and security monitoring applications.

I'm wanting to test it initially with an Aircam HD IP camera to see it will provide me with analog video.

GXV3500 - Decoder.jpg

http://www.grandstream.com/products/surveillance/gxv3500/documents/gxv3500_user_manual_1.0.1.38.pdf

Back