New Brultech Energy Monitoring Model (ECM-1240) due in 2009

Here is the latest version of my program, now renamed to tenECMtoStuff as it now supports uploading to both Pachube and Wattzon. Should be relatively self explanatory, unzip the file; edit the .properties file; and run the program (java -jar tenECMtoStuff.jar).

Wattzon only supports one device per powermeter so you need to create 7 power meters for each of the channels of the ECM-1240...

Here is a link to my wattzon power meter graph:

http://www.wattzon.com/wattizen/gzub/powermeters/graph

This graph also shows a new feature which I am adding to the next version, I have created a "virtual channel", which is the first channel minus the other channels to produce a value for the unmonitored circuits. This allows the "stack" function on wattzon to work (just turn off the "House" channel on my wattzon graph is you are going to do this otherwise you end up with an inflated total usage) which makes the it easier to interpret the graphs.

Geoff

Attachments

• tenECMtoStuffv0.3.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 17
Let me know if there are enhancements to tenEcmServer that will help in your effort. Looks like it has great promise.
tenholde

This isn't something that is necessary for my app as I could calculate it or retrieve it from the database your logger creates, but how about enhancing the DB logger to broadcast statistics? High/Low/Avg for each of the channels over a certain time period (ie 1m,5m,15m,1h,4h,12h,24h) at a user defined interval? It could be broadcast on the same port and you could specify that any packet that has a letter A as the first element is an average packet?

On a completely different subject...

I have been changing some of the 240v loads to use only 1 ct as the load on each side should be the same, but found out that you should not do this with an electric dryer as the heating coils are powered by both legs of the 240, but the motor is powered by 120v only using one of the legs so if you want an accurate reading you must use two CTs.

Any other 240v devices that people have found or know of that do not have a balanced load where one CT could be used and then doubled?
And to change the subject once more...

I was thinking what else I could have my tenECMtoStuff program connect to, and two that I came up with are Twitter (periodic tweets of power usage) and to dump the data into a format rrd can understand using the rrd4j library. Any other ideas, suggestions, or votes for those ideas?​

Geoff

Here is the latest version of my program, now renamed to tenECMtoStuff as it now supports uploading to both Pachube and Wattzon. Should be relatively self explanatory, unzip the file; edit the .properties file; and run the program (java -jar tenECMtoStuff.jar).

Here is v0.4 of my program, I have added twitter support @gzub_home and a virtual channel (the total power usage minus the other channels).

tenECMtoStuffv0.4.zip

I still want to add some tracking of high/average/total values over the time periods and am thinking of also integrating it with the MyEnergyUsage.org website as well...

Let me know if you have any requests or need help getting it to work...

Geoff

And to change the subject once more...

I was thinking what else I could have my tenECMtoStuff program connect to, and two that I came up with are Twitter (periodic tweets of power usage) and to dump the data into a format rrd can understand using the rrd4j library. Any other ideas, suggestions, or votes for those ideas?​

Geoff

I am still looking for someone to develop an xAP server using tenEcmServer broadcasts. This would open up all of the charting capabilities, etc. that have been developed for xAP.

tenholde

I am still looking for someone to develop an xAP server using tenEcmServer broadcasts. This would open up all of the charting capabilities, etc. that have been developed for xAP.

What apps for xAP are you looking at for the charting, I looked around but couldn't find any programs that looked that interesting...

Geoff

What apps for xAP are you looking at for the charting, I looked around but couldn't find any programs that looked that interesting...

Geoff

I thought xapmcsCHART and xapmcsDATABASE looked interesting: http://www.mcssprinklers.com/xapXap.htm

tenholde

how long are the wires on the CTs?

in case anybody wants to expand their system, there is an "e1 expansion option" for $129.95. it's another ecm-1240 unit with a bunch of microCTs. http://www.brultech.com/price2ecm1240.html i got this link from brultech support & it doesn't seem like you can get to it from anywhere on their site so i figure i'd post it here.

in case anybody wants to expand their system, there is an "e1 expansion option" for $129.95. it's another ecm-1240 unit with a bunch of microCTs. http://www.brultech.com/price2ecm1240.html i got this link from brultech support & it doesn't seem like you can get to it from anywhere on their site so i figure i'd post it here.

The wires are probably about 6 feet or so, but, I believe the documentation says you can extend the wires up to 100 feet. I added about 15 feet onto mine.

The wires are probably about 6 feet or so, but, I believe the documentation says you can extend the wires up to 100 feet. I added about 15 feet onto mine.

thanks. i may be over 100 feet for a couple CTs. hopefully, it works otherwise i'll have to get a 2nd unit.

Back