New, CHEAP, Ultra Mobile PC

There's a you tube video which shows you how for to add a touch screen to the 299 eee pc.

That opens up a ton of possibilities - add the touch screen, take it out of it's case and embed it in a wall.

for under $400 you have a full XP PC with lots of software options

here's the youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-BbOWVgXg

On the original subject of an eee pc, I have one and love it. It is just like a notebook but much smaller and it boots up in under 30 seconds. I use the linux OS but I am thinking of running win XP on it instead. I also have a notebook but I find myself using the eeepc much more often for basics such as e-mail, internet browsing and Homeseer.

On the original subject of an eee pc, I have one and love it. It is just like a notebook but much smaller and it boots up in under 30 seconds. I use the linux OS but I am thinking of running win XP on it instead. I also have a notebook but I find myself using the eeepc much more often for basics such as e-mail, internet browsing and Homeseer.

With the linux OS what browser are you using and how well does it play with HomeSeer?

With the linux OS what browser are you using and how well does it play with HomeSeer?
The browser that comes with it is firefox. I use it constantly and it works as well as it does on Windows where I also use it almost exclusively. The only drawback to the linux OS is that it doesn't support the higher resolutions that the eeepc is capable of and because the eeepc is so small I want the highest resolution as possible to see more on the screeen.

It'd be nice if there's an ultra-mobile PC with one of the specs I wanted:

Windows Vista Home Prenium
AMD mobile dual-core processor at a low speed (doesn't matter how low the GHz can be as long as it works well with Vista's Aero Glass)
1GB of RAM
40GB hard drive space*
Adaquate video chip for Vista Aero Glass
Ethernet (I will use Wi-Fi for the time being, when it comes to living in an apartment.)

...all for less than or equal to $500 (maybe not too soon, but who knows).

*Maybe less since I plan to use latest technologies from Microsoft (Windows Presentation Foundation/XAML with .net Framework 3.5) for developing my own application that talks to my server for home automation and security.

Back