New Construction/New to Automation

jasoncjung

Hi there.  I'll start off with how most start off.  We are breaking ground soon to add a basement-level In-Law unit in San Francisco, including excavating about 2 feet down and reinforcing the old concrete foundation, then building a 1,100 sqft unit to include what I thought would be everything I would want - hydronic radiant floors and in-wall speakers (it just looks nicer).  

Google searches led me from one question to now hundreds - including the idea that "you could automate a lot of things", and thus I am here.  Only now, realizing that I reached only the tip of the iceberg

I've started to read several long threads by IVB and others and will continue to search extensively (thanks to all who have posted previously).  

For now, I am less concerned with the components of the system (motion sensors, cameras) as much as I am concerned that once the sheetrock goes up, we're closed on a chapter we can't go back to (there won't be any crawl spaces, nor attics/basements to crawl under - just concrete).  I'm actually ok with a full build-out and in-wall speakers that are hooked up (but wont be connected to anything), window sensors connected (also not hooked up), and so on, and having no security system even purchased by the time we move in.  But to know that I have the wiring there to install it (either myself or have professional help), is what worries me the most.

Besides the full pre-wire list (since I cant post links yet, IVB's post on CQC), are there other steps I might not be thinking about in terms of the wiring infrastructure?  Like many, I am cost sensitive, but willing to pay to get things wired well ahead of time in anticipation of the future, and likely replacing switches etc once we start to get automated.  (my wife would kill me if we moved in, and i couldn't operate any lights, or turn on the tv - but she can live without in-wall speakers, or an alarm system.  for now at least.)

Thanks in advance to everyone, and I will be hopefully updating this as work progresses and my life gets insane with whatever this project throws at me.

jason

Though it's a basement/in-law remodel, the eventual plan is to occupy the whole building, and live here forever (it's a family property).  In the future, we will also remodel the upstairs, so wiring of the upstairs is less crucial for now, as the current living unit will remain occupied as is and largely unmodified.

The basement/in-law will include (this is what i have intent to do in the immediate term):
- 2-zone radiant heated floors, so a thermostat in each of the 2 zones (2 bedrooms in one zone, and rest of unit in other zone) + 2 zones upstairs (upstairs thermostats will likely be wireless for now).  
- 7.1 (or so) in the main tv area.  
- in-wall speakers for 5 other zones (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 for kitchen/dining).  
- wiring for audio keypads in the rooms that have audio zones.  
- combo of RG6+HDMI+4cat6 bundles to each proposed TV location (bedrooms, bathrooms, 2x for main tv area, and 2x in kitchen) - these are just the possible areas
- dimmers in all rooms except for bathrooms (non automated)
- LED recessed can lights (likely cree lights)
- hardwire the above, with home-runs for everything to a utility closet (5'x6' which will also contain 2-3 tankless waterheaters and water softener)
- 1"-2" flexible conduit home run to each location where there is a TV and keypad.  
- The rest will be hard-wired in-location and home-run (unless i should conduit other locations as well)

I'd like to (this is perhaps a wishlist of stuff I've read and would like to do eventually, but will at least install the wiring for now):
- Wired door/window sensors (2 small non-opening street facing windows, 3 opening windows facing a garage (not street facing, not publicly accessible), 2 entrance doors
- wireless door sensors for the upstairs unit (1 door) - in the long-term to be wired upon future remodel
- motion sensors in bedrooms/main rooms for security
- occupancy sensors for all rooms
- cameras inside
- cameras outside
- controlled lightswitches (dimming and non)
- audio and video distribution system
- some sort of automation system controllable via tablets and hardwired upon entrance (i've always grown up with a security keypad at the door/entrance upon entry).
- remote monitoring of my house someday as well.

There is no yard to speak of.  And there are no kids yet.  

Construction will start soon (next 2 weeks), so getting wiring in will be my first target, and the longer term stuff (security etc) will slowly come afterwards.

I'm sure I'm also missing a bunch of "you should wire this" as well, so if you guys have ideas on what else to home-run, please let me know.

Hi Jason,

Do a search on my username. In the past on a few threads I have detailed out my complete installation and some of the reasoning behind my decisions. I can tell you, after 18 months in the house I have no regrets yet. In fact, I just gor Siri working and can control the whole house by talking into an iOS device now.

Let me know if you have any questions I may be able to answer.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will definitely read up on your posts.  I look forward to reading about what you've done, and will likely get my head spinning in terms of what I should be laying down wire for now, and then look forward to getting soon.

Back