New DIY installation ELK-M1G

trg-s338

Wired the ELK-M1G together. I am a first time DIY installer of my home alarm. Magnetic NC switches at two large glass sliders in the back, same switches at two garage access doors-one from the kitchen, the other from the outside and another from the front door.
A total of six zones. Wired without EOL resistors at the switches at this time. These door/slider switches are the extend to the sensors hooked up to the system at this time excepting the siren and the keypad that came with the kit.

Questions:

1. The manual says the system can function without the EOL resistors, what are the disadvantages of not having them wired in? If I install them as a result of your responses, they wire in series prior to the switches in the home run loop, right?

2. The manual puts great emphasis on the importance of "Data Bus E.O.L. Termination."
With the kepad being the only devise hooked up to the data bus, do I need to concern myself with this? I looked at the keypad board and found a mounted speaker hooked up to JP1 in the kepad, no other teminal is available to use the shortening caps on per the manuals instructions. I don't want to mess this up. Do I need to do something here?

3. The kepad speaker is not hooked up to anything, there is no mention of it anywhere in the manual of the info that was in the keypad packaging. I would like this speaker to be a tone/voice devise. Where do I hook it up?

Thanks in advance for your patience in my basic inquiries. Any other advise reguarding initial start up checks and procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive me, strike question 3- it contradicts factual statement in question 2.
I meant to ask about the extra 2 wires blue and grey out of the keypad wire loom, are they supposed to be hooked up to anything?

Question #1, do a quick search for EOL, there are hours of discussion here regarding end of line resistors and their placement.

Question #2, do a quick search for this subject especially the 60 to 70 ohms resistance required between data A & B, when the power is off.

Question #3, are you sure it's a grey wire, here is the manual from ELK http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1KP_LCD_Keypad.pdf. The color code is black, white, green, red, blue, and brown.

I believe for question one, with an EOL resistor the ELK can detect 3 states instead of just two.

1. Open
2. Short
3. Resistance of the EOL

If you have a mechanical failure, or someone puts a nail through a pair of wires, the ELK will think the switch is made if it doesn't have the EOL. With the EOL, it will know there is a problem.

That said, the consensus around here seems to lean toward the "don't need it for residential."

I installed them on my system, what the heck, ELK gave them to me already and it only adds a minute or two to install them..

Brian

1. The manual says the system can function without the EOL resistors, what are the disadvantages of not having them wired in? If I install them as a result of your responses, they wire in series prior to the switches in the home run loop, right?

Look around on the board about the EOLs a bit, as previously said, most people don't use them.... BUT I did and last month ended up getting a broken wire and with the EOL I knew what was going on....

2. The manual puts great emphasis on the importance of "Data Bus E.O.L. Termination." With the keypad being the only devise hooked up to the data bus, do I need to concern myself with this? I looked at the keypad board and found a mounted speaker hooked up to JP1 in the keypad, no other terminal is available to use the shortening caps on per the manuals instructions. I don't want to mess this up. Do I need to do something here?

Jumpers are marked JP2 on keypads

3. The keypad speaker is not hooked up to anything, there is no mention of it anywhere in the manual of the info that was in the keypad packaging. I would like this speaker to be a tone/voice devise. Where do I hook it up?

Forgive me, strike question 3- it contradicts factual statement in question 2.
I meant to ask about the extra 2 wires blue and grey out of the keypad wire loom, are they supposed to be hooked up to anything?

Blue and Brown are used for additional options.... see page 9 of your M1 manual optional zone and output (connection at keypad instead of running back to control. handy for doors next to keypad....)

I believe the speaker in the keypad is only for tone, not for voice announcements ect... but I could be wrong

The speaker in the M1KP keypad is for tone alerts and key beeps. You can mount the speaker in the ELK SP-12F behind the M1KP2 keypad. There are mounting bosses and holes for it.

brotsten said:
. . . the consensus around here seems to lean toward the "don't need [EOL] for residential." . . .

I feel better now. I had to quickly run security wire to accomodate a change in the drywallers schedule for my new home. I've wired all the contacts and devices and the wires tested OK, so if a wire is damaged down the road, I can only blame myself. However, I will likely include EOLs for my basement since I should have more time.

Back