New Dude

deep6

I have really enjoyed read this forum. Been getting alot of information and ideas. My question is, can you install the WC-25 Series Multi-button Wall Controller and use it without any software? I am starting out super slow. I am going to have to add one component at a time. I was planning on using the UPB protocol. Any suggestions (pros/cons) on this protocol would be helpful.

Dunno the answer to your question, but:
1) Welcome
2) man that's a lot of personal info in your sig. You may want to scale that back.

Hi B-Rad, welcome to CT!

Do you have more info about the controller you are talking about?

Hi B-Rad, welcome to CT!

Do you have more info about the controller you are talking about?

I was thinking about starting off with a controller like the WC-25 Series Multi-button Wall Controller I found on E-Bay, but I did not know what else I needed to make this happen. I was wondering if it could be used by itself as a regular switch or do I need something to go with it.

Do you have a link to the controller you mentioned? If all you have is an eBay link, you can PM me the auction link, and I'll find non-eBay link to post here. I have never heard of the WC-25 before.

Ok, that makes more sense now, I suggest you remove your auction # before someone else bids on it ;) Those switches will work without any software support, so yes you can use them as a 'dumb' stand alone light switch. The switch you linked is made by Web Mountain. There are 2 other manufacturers which make UPB light switches: Simply Automated, and PCS.

To see what products are out there, check out the websites of the CTVA members, there is a lot of stuff you can do with UPB, and you don't have to buy it all at once.

B-Rad,

UPB is designed to operate without a centeral controller. Once the units are programmed with UPStart. Each device knows what to do when a command comes accross the powerline. The only thing missing "was" timers. Now there are switches that offer timer options. I have not used any of these yet.
If you want basic time control, Web Mountain, Simply Automated, and Powerline Control Systems offer timer modules. Here is a link to the Simply Automated scheduler/controller. At $159.00 this scheduler is very reasonable. I found it easy to learn and only takes seconds to setup timers and test.

If you are interrested, a few years ago I shaired a UPStart file of an installation I did. This install does not have a central controller. Here is a Link to that thread. Use the instructions to download the file so it will work with your UPStart.

Enjoy
Dave

Back