New here... and need a little help please

Hi. Almost finished wiring up my Elk M1, but manual is not clear on wiring multiple smoke detectors. I have 6 2 wire detectors with the EOL 820 ohm resistors installed on each. I have them wired parallel and system shows a smoke trouble alarm. Question, what is the proper way to wire 6 dectectors???
thanks

Welcome to CT. The best thing to do is follow the instructions in the smoke detector sheet that came packaged with the detector. I can give you a general rule of thumb regarding 2 wire detectors. First of all there will only be two wires hooked up to zone 16 of the M1. You will then feed two wires into the first detector and two wires out of it to the next detector and so on. The last detector in the chain will only have two wires connected to it and that is where you place one, I repeat, one 820 ohm resistor. You don't put an 820 ohm resistor at each detector. Good luck.

Wow!! Sure seems simple NOW. My detector wiring diagrahm threw me off as it show them daisey chained together and mine are all wired back to the panel. Well guess what......it's the same thing. Thanks for the reply, it sure helped me see through the "smoke".
thanks

Wow!! Sure seems simple NOW. My detector wiring diagrahm threw me off as it show them daisey chained together and mine are all wired back to the panel. Well guess what......it's the same thing. Thanks for the reply, it sure helped me see through the "smoke".
thanks

Also amke sure that all 6 detectors are the same. Never mix 2 wire smoke detectors on the same zone on any system unless the combination has specifically tested. This rule does not apply to 4 wire detectors.

If you only have two wires running from each smoke sensor back to the M1 Control, they will not be daisy chained and you will not have supervision to each smoke detector. Normally when running home runs back to the control, you need 4 wires, two going to the smoke and two returning from the smoke which will then be wired to go to the next smoke. When finished all the smokes will be wired in a daisy chain with the EOL resistor at the end.

Functionally, two wires from each detector will work, but you have no supervision of each smoke.

Thanks for the clarification Spanky. Although some of this is new too me, I'm really amazed at the M1 and all it can do. Good job!!

Back