New Home Construction Project

Dean what types of external intercom systems can CQC control? I'll be installing a Greyfox cat5 intercom system soon (not sure if there is anyway to interface with it, or what I would do if I could_.

None at this point. I'm not even sure which ones are controllable, but if you find one that is, then we can certainly get a driver done for it, though I'm not sure what kind of stuff you'd want to control in such a system.

ph0n33z said:
Thankyou so much pkoslow. You have been highly recommended by everyone, and I would love to talk with you. Would you prefer PM or email?
Santa Barbara Smarthomes is still a bit of a hobby for me until the end of March. I'm trying to juggle getting things off the ground while still maintaining a 60+ hr week job as IT Director for a manufacturer of variable wavelength laser products. The company I work for was recently acquired by JDSU and the site I work at will be closed. My unwillingness to relocate puts me out of a job soon, but also opens up the opportunity to break from the IT drudgery and start my own business... Santa Barbara Smarthomes.

I don't PM much, but feel free to email me directly... I may even suggest to keep the correspondance on this message board so other can benefit and also chime in with their recomendations (as you've noticed, there are lots of experienced members that participate here!).

Cheers,
Paul

IVB said:
pkoslow said:
ph0n33z,

I just returned from Russound training on all the RNET products (CAV6.6, CAM6.6, + source equipment).

If you're still considering the CAV6.6 for your distributed audio and have any specific questions about the gear or pre-wire requirements, please let me know and I'll try to answer.

Cheers,
Paul
great website, btw.
IVB,

Thanks for the compliment on the website... it's really a personal website that I put together some time ago to showcase my install and act as an intro to home automation for those that don't know much about it.

For a business site, I'm actually a little embarrassed of it and it's high on my list to get it replaced with something more professional that does a better job of detailing products and services.

When I get it together, I'll post a link for review & critique..

Paul

Dean Roddey said:
Dean what types of external intercom systems can CQC control? I'll be installing a Greyfox cat5 intercom system soon (not sure if there is anyway to interface with it, or what I would do if I could_.

None at this point. I'm not even sure which ones are controllable, but if you find one that is, then we can certainly get a driver done for it, though I'm not sure what kind of stuff you'd want to control in such a system.
johnnynine,

I'll be installing a Greyfox intercom for a customer in the next few weeks. The pre-wire went in several weeks ago and I think they were scheduled to complete the drywall last weeked?

The Greyfox doesn't have any interface to facilitate automation, and I'm not aware of any other intercom system available commercially that does.

As Dean asked... what intercom funtionality would you to integrate? Possibly using the intercom system for VR and TTS playback?

Russound does have a new intercom system due out in soon called "Compoint" which can be tied into Russound (or other) distributed audio systems. They didn't have any of the gear at the training I attended, but the intructors were knowledgable about it and answered a few of my questions during lunch break.

Seems like the system will work well as an intercom, but the integration is not very elegant in my opinion and like the Grefox it has no way to be connected to any type of automation controller. The system is basically a number of small powered keypads (think A-Bus) which contain mics and are connected back to a central hub. The intercom keypad is actually wired in-between the speakers and your whole house amp/controller (CAV6.6, etc) and mechanically switches the speakers to it's own internal amp for paging while interrupting whatever music/source that was originally playing.

Again... seems like it will work, but I was hoping for something a little better integrated!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul:

I agree with IVB -- that is a nice clean set of user interfaces and a top-notch appliction of ML and Homeseer -- one of the best I've seen. If you are planning to go into business installing similar systems, I'd heartily recommend taking a close look at CQC in addition to ML/Homeseer. You obviously have the skills to integrate external devices and write control logic -- it would take very little time to for you to spin up on CQC. That you give you more than one product to offer your customers at a price point well below AMX, Crestron, etc.

One question -- how are you integrating RFID technology? Is it part of Homeseer? I've been looking at RFID tagging for my wine collection and would like to learn more about it.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks... I've already been in touch with Dean and have started to evaluate CQC. My current plans are to not initially offer a PC based solution to my customers. I'm working out a product offering that will be based on the Elk M1 automation controller & Russound dist. audio. I'd like to see integration of iAutomates RFID products into the M1 panel and still trying to decide on a primary lighting system (have this narrowed down to UPB or Insteon).

My plan is to keep initial customer installs very simple consisting of distributed audio/intercom and basic lighting automation (probably using only switch based scenes and maybe some simple timed events) and structured wiring.

This is a far cry from what I have installed at home, but I feel it's important to keep the systems "dumbed down" as I get started. Word-of-mouth references are either going to make or break the business in my realatively small market and I'd prefer to get started with several dozen small installs (and happy customers) than work for several months on 1-2 large complex installs.

The RFID is from www.iautomate.com and for now specifically works with Homeseer. It's an active RFID system so range from tag to reader is several hunderd feet. This is perfect to detect occupancy, but won't be a good solution for wine. You'd probably be better off with an inventory system based on barcode scanning. You may want to search the Cinemar message board for "winelobby" someone there was working on this app, but don't know the current status of it's developement.

Cheers,
Paul

Alright boys,

I put together this (lame) powerpoint presentation for everything that I want to do in each room. Once I figure out the exact wiring necessary, I will then do a floorplan with all of the wiring drops. This is where you, oh great cocooners B), come in. I need help with figuring out how to achieve all of this.

I do not want to get "stuck" with only one way of controlling the system. Once the house is finished, I want to be able to test the system with different solutions. Such as Homeseer, CQC, Mainlobby, HAL, etc.... That way I can find what I like the best.

So if you guys could help me out with what wiring I need, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks again!

Here is the Powerpoint:
http://download.filefront.com/4667157;907a...2b753d447a40765

If it doesnt work, let me know!

P.S. I am most likely going to get an Elk M1 and Russound CAV6.6, but I am open to suggestions.

For your whole house audio, you might want to take a look at Sonos. It does not interface with HA software yet, but with the desktop controller software and probably the best wireless hand held controller, is worth a look.

ph0n33z said:
Alright boys,

I put together this (lame) powerpoint presentation for everything that I want to do in each room. Once I figure out the exact wiring necessary, I will then do a floorplan with all of the wiring drops. This is where you, oh great cocooners B), come in. I need help with figuring out how to achieve all of this.

I do not want to get "stuck" with only one way of controlling the system. Once the house is finished, I want to be able to test the system with different solutions. Such as Homeseer, CQC, Mainlobby, HAL, etc.... That way I can find what I like the best.

So if you guys could help me out with what wiring I need, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks again!

Here is the Powerpoint:
http://download.filefront.com/4667157;907a...2b753d447a40765

If it doesnt work, let me know!

P.S. I am most likely going to get an Elk M1 and Russound CAV6.6, but I am open to suggestions.
Hey, sorry I went dark; both projects i'm overseeing went "yellow", and I just spent 2 days talking SVP's off the ledge.

ph0n33z,

You sent me a private email earlier today or last night and I've lost it. Have done lots of changes today with my mail domain and the setup of Outlook on both my desktop & laptop (including some long overdue housekeeping).

Anyway... now I can't find it. Please email me again with your name and email/phone so we can get in touch.

You can send directly to "paul(at)sbsmarthomes(dot)com".

Thanks,
Paul

ok, read through that ppt of yours. Sorry, been in work-mode all week, lost my train of thought here. IIRC, our goal was to create the appropriate wiring runs & equipment list first, right? This is basically a stream-of-conciousness post, sorry.

Questions, which will probably immediately show that I'm a newbie here:
1) You show 9 zones of music. Do you really want 9 zones, each with the ability to play a different source? Could you group some of them together, providing that you still had independent volume control in each zone?

What I'm thinking is: Group some zones together, if you can get down to 6 zones you can use that CAV6.6 you're thinking about. In the wall for the grouped ones, you could have a volume control (i.e. Niles ) .

2) for the distributed video, we're having a convo on charmedquark about what abilities the xbox360 would have, and it's ability to be used as an HD client. That would obviously require a CAT5 run to each location, though.

For the HVAC, are you going with a single zone or multiple? The reason I ask is that some folks in CA use multiple smaller furnaces, with one for each zone. Obviously this means multiple thermostats, which in your case would mean making sure you're covered with the wiring there. [i.e., if thermo#2 is upstairs for convenient non-PC control, run the CAT5 between that & the HAPC. Also, if you're going to want to monitor temperature at a room-level, you're going to need to run the (2-wire? blanking) thermostat wire to each room now.

Next thought: where else will you need RS232 runs? things that come to mind are:
- between HAPC and irrigation.
- I've never researched doorbells, is that needed?
- how about security systems? For a 4500sqft house with all this junk in it, you may need something there. Are you going with something like a kodicom with it's own PC/system, which will need a CAT5 run or coax runs to camera locations?
- camera at door? what will that need?

ok, i better stop now and have you/i take a step back and think about this.

I just spent 2 days talking SVP's off the ledge.
Why? In almost all of my prevoius projects, the best way to complete the project in time and under budget was to get the SVPs out on the ledge, and then PUSH! B)

ph0n33z said:
Thankyou so much pkoslow. You have been highly recommended by everyone, and I would love to talk with you. Would you prefer PM or email?
ph0n33z I just thought to mention I am in the process of purchasing product from sbsmarthomes, Paul helped me decide what I needed for a Russound CAV6.6 and made speaker recommendations for the system and provided a very fair price!

I am also planning on purchasing the Elk M1 system through Paul mostly for the fact that he has been very prompt at answering all questions and also in very knowledgeable in most everything to do with Home Automation, later I'm likely to also add RFID and VR to my system and I know Paul has alot of experience with it..the first time I visited his page and seen his system I pretty well said...this is the system I want!

Paul has also been helpful suggesting future wire runs and what I most likely will need in the future if I plan to upgrade to different keypads/touchscreens etc., I feel like I have 10 new questions each day but whenever I do he seems to have an answer and it has already made my housebuilding process so much easier.

*BTW Paul this is Ripper/Al from the Cinemar forums, thanks for the link to cocoontech.

As far as 9 zones of audio, the Sonos can have upto 32 zones, all capable of different music and independent volume controls.

I might have missed this, but do you have a link to the specific Sonos product you are talking about?

Back