New Home Construction Project

Looks like we all replied at the same time! hehehe

I will be sure to let everyone know what I am doing as I go. I will probably be building a site/thread that shows the progress from framing-finish. So hopefully this will help everyone, including myself of course, learn some new ways of doing things!

I am intersted in blu-ray and hd-dvd as well. I am hoping to wire the house in order to future proof the nex-gen dvd streaming. Ripping these to a hdd would take an awful lot of space (30+gigs), so that is probably not going to be an option for some time.

We shall see!

I've tried both of them. I'll put what I think the biggest strengths of each package is. I'll try and word things specifically so that we don't get into a pissing match; those are never fun nor educational.

I'm sure there's other things that others feel are "the most important", these are purely my opinion.

CQC:
- Single integrated package for both front-end and back-end control, doesn't require any other major commercial software packages to work. [ok, technically JRMC, ZP, & DVDProfiler as of right now, but that's going away in a few months. Plus, MainLobby also needs JRMC, so that's a wash]
- Shockingly rapid turnaround on support questions. I'm not sure if I've ever waited more than 2 hours for a response from Dean, handholding me through what I want to do.

MainLobby:
- Clearly superior "professional" level UI, and you can make some VERY sexy things with it.
- Many more devices supported "out-of-the-box".

As I've posted elsewhere, it comes down to this... Let's say it took you a month to implement your desired goal once you make your choice. If you use this system for 5 years, then that's 59 to 1 ratio of time used vs. time to set up.

So what's important for the long term is not which product can most quickly get a demonstrable interface up, it is which platform has the flexibility you need, the robustness that is required to make any amount of functionalty worth having, and the broad and deep architecture to continue to grow over time without getting 'brittle' and requiring a step back and punt rewrite.

CQC, by far, has the most extensive underlying architecture out there and it will be able to continue to grow rapidly over time while remaining solid, and as any of our customers can attest it is a rock solid platform. And, since we are really addressing the commercial market, the flexibility is there to achieve what you want to achieve. And nothing else can touch it in terms of a network distributed platform, something that becomes more important as you look to the whole home, and to the future.

And, very importantly, instead of the extra cost and complexity of two or three separate automation products, you get one price, and one tightly integrated package. In the end, the cost, complexity, and stability issues of integrating multiple systems is far less desirable than having it all under one roof, all fundamentally designed to work as a system, and they will likely in the end even out any gains from having more canned interfaces.

So I would just stress that what you are looking to create here is the antithesis of quick and dirty, it's something that you'll depend on every day, and every day for years. So the decision should be made in that light.

If you look at what it supports out of the box, in terms of major chunks:

1. Fully network distributed platform, which can completely distribute the load of back and front end around the network, and which you can use and manage from anywhere in the network. This is also a key aspect of allowing for remote development and management.
2. User based security, which is server based so it can't be hacked on the client side
3. Zero configuration web server for small device and remote access
4. Full bore automation backend, with in-depth documentation
5. Media management of changers, media servers, and on-disk content, fully networked and driver based, allowing browisng and playback from anywhere in the network. Look how quickly we've integrated the Escient, J.River, DVD Profiler, and myHTPC repositories, all of which can be browsed generically via the same interface tools.
6. Support for CE.Net clients for portable clients, using the same interface development tools.
7. Support for Rad-IO for low cost multi-touch pad systems.
8. Completely open ended interface design system that lets you make it look the way you want. And it supports and object oriented command system that allows you to create unique, custom dynamic interfaces without programming.
9. Built in macro and driver development tools, also fully distributed, which are a key aspect of maintaining a stable and robust system.
10. Networked, xAP compatible event system, so event triggers can propogate throughout the network.
11. Extensive XML based integration protocol to allow third parties to integrate with CQC.
12. Scheduled and triggered events
13. Extensive two way driver architecture that supports serial, socket, and USB devices, with two separate driver development languages to meet the needs of the device.
14. Remote serial port server that allows us to connect to your serial devices and write drivers or diagnose problems remotely.
15. Extensive diagnostic tools. Ask our customers how quickly we tend to diagnose and fix (or tell them how to fix) problems using the tools we have.

And none of that is done via third party code. It's all our own, between 600 and 700 thousand lines of proprietary code, that we control the quality of. That's really the biggest reason for CQC's extreme stability, and that's why it's been able to grow so rapidly and will continue to do so without becoming brittle and unstable. We built the platform first, then built the product on top of it.

SOLD!!!!

hehehe

Thankyou for responding to this thread as well, Dean. It is not only your incredible dedication to your product that has sold me, but also the support and quality of it. It seems as though CQC does everything I want to do, and more. Plus, with updates occurring all the time, I feel confident in its longevity.

BTW, this is NOT something I want to do "quick-and-dirty". I plan on taking the time, effort, and sweat required to get this working the way I want. The only thing that needs to be done quickly is the wiring. I just need to decide on this ASAP. After that, I have the time I need to make an efficient and well working system.

So here's to my future CQC driven home! :D :D

BTW, if you have any tips on specific wiring that is different for CQC,please let me know. I will be posting an outline of what I am having done in the pre-wire early this week.

Thanks again guys!

Also........

While I am pretty sure I am going with CQC, I was wondering if you guys had any price comparison on the competing platforms for all that I want to do.

For example, how much would it cost to do all the security/hvac/audio/lighting/video etc... on:
homeseer?
control4?
Mainlobby?
CQC?

I know it is hard to have a specific price, but just some general idea.

THanks!

Control4 would be a different animal, since you have to buy their hardware. For the software based products, the hardware you buy is up to you, and they'd be pretty much the same overall.

For and integrated ML/HS package of course you'd be buying both of them, so they'd count as one price together, and the price would depend on what of their components and third party plugins you'd end up having to buy. For CQC, if you are doing the DIY scheme, then $300 is the worst it's going to be since that's the full package price, and the license is a network license.

THanks a lot Dean!

It looks like I am going to go with CQC for sure. I feel very confident in what IVB has said, along with your amazing support. Your product isn't half bad either.... :D :D

So.........

Is there a good thread/guide about pre-wire that I should read in regards to using CQC for all that I need?

There's not really anything about CQC itself (and this would be true for other software based systems) that would require any particular wiring. It's mostly based on the other hardware you chose to install. There are some issues that are common to any control systems, such as you need access to the devices you want to control in terms of serial cables, ethernet, USB, etc... from the machine that will control them.

You can do a highly centralized scenario where everything comes back to one or more big servers that control everything from there. Or you can go with a more distributed scenario, where major 'islands' of control, such as the home theater, have their own local machines to control them and providing local touch screen interfaces (they wouldn't have to be terribly powerful for that), but still fully integrated into the CQC network.

Beyond that there are some issues about how you might use CQC wrt to touch screens and whatnot, and that's covered in the Using CQC section under the Learn tab. So you need to access from the computers running CQC to the devices that they will control, and to the displays/touch screens, etc... that you will use to interact with them (Cat5 KVM extenders can make this a pretty flexible equation.)

But beyond that, mostly the wiring you require is based on the hardware you choose to install, in terms of HVAC, distributed audio or video, home theater and so forth. CQC is agnostic about that stuff, as would be most any control system. Anything in terms of wiring that doesn't go through the control system itself, is pretty independent of the control system.

What dean just said is exactly why we need to get that floor diagram of yours and what functionality you want in each room.

That way we can give you some guidance on what should be put where, and what wires need to be run.

BTW.......

I forgot to mention that we want an intercom system to be implemented as well....

Is it possible to use the touchscreens with CQC to control an intercom system over the whole house audio speakers?

Thanks!

It can control some external intercom system, but it doesn't have any built in mechanisms to implement an intercom system. But, assuming you can find what you want, it can certainly provide control for what zones it's routed into and so forth.

Ph0n33z; we should co-spec this out. I'm contemplating something similar, although your timing is probably sooner than mine.

I'm probably going to implement a DVR security system first, and see what capabilities that has.

IVB said:
Ph0n33z; we should co-spec this out. I'm contemplating something similar, although your timing is probably sooner than mine.

I'm probably going to implement a DVR security system first, and see what capabilities that has.
Absolutely bro! Would love to.

Hopefully we can schedule a time to be on at the same time!

Back