New Home Construction: Where to Start? What needs to be put in during construction?

As far as the well.

I suggest getting a CAI webcontrol board.  You can run a cat6 wire out to the pump house if it isn't too far which would be used to carry IP traffic.  The CAI board is controlled via IP.  You can put relay boards onto the CAI and then control and view the status of it over the internet.  You could also get a wifi adapter for it and avoid running any communication wires out there at all.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363887861&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+netgear+bridge  This will also get rid of the risk of a lightening strike conducting up your cat6 and frying a bunch of stuff.  Also, it will be cheaper than running shielded cat6.  Still, I would run a conduit out there that you leave empty just in case you want wire in the future.  You will obviously have a trench already since you need power and the water lines back to the house.  Make sure the electricians give you 120v and 240v out the pump house.

The cai board can control up to 8 relays which can power your valves.  It also can handle 8 temp sensors (though I see little call for more than 1)  If you want to get fancy with it you could have it monitor well head pressure, wind speed, rain fall, and other random things.

As for the guide, I am working on an updated version, which will be much easier to understand/follow.  It just takes a lot of time, so it isn't going as fast as I would like to.

Pete's right tho, you can ask for help with anything here, just try to keep the threads to just 1 or 2 questions, or people might ignore the thread if there is too much content to read (many of us catch up while we only have a few minutes, or are on our smartphone).

Don't give up!

pete_c said:
Today playing with LED lighting.  The LED's are so bright they can be blinding somewhat.

When I needed to take physics in college; I basically thought it was a waste of time for my degrees. 

That said though I took up using (work-learning) and playing (hobby) with lasers in the late 1970's and into the 80's.  
I am one of the VERY VERY few people in the world who actually get paid to play with lasers and LED lighting all day. :rockon:

Tessa,

I don't like being that person (always recommending RadioRa 2) but I am pleased with the Lutron RadioRa 2 lighting system and would recommend considering it.  The two main complains on Lutron RadioRa 2 is that it isn't DIY friendly and is expensive.  Compared to most of the DIY focused lighting systems (UPB, Zwave, Insteon, etc) it is more elegant with a nicer selection of switches and at the top end in terms of reliability (my small system has been perfect so far).  You can also get temperature control, motion sensors, light sensors, remote controls, car interface, etc for the RadioRa 2 system.  Related to the DIY friendly issue, you would have to take a few hours of online training to get access to the RadioRa 2 Essentials (up to 100 devices).  If you need more than 100 devices (200 system max) then I think you would have to take some onsite training and I'm not sure how that would work for a consumer although you would definitely be an invested and committed consumer.

I'm just a happy consumer and want to make sure you are aware of this nice lighting solution.

David

Back