New home wiring guidelines

telinal

My brother in law is building a new, large home. He needs my help to review the electrical specifications and wiring plans. To the point: is there any good resource on the web or in print that is up to date as far as the type of wiring to be used for a home run system? How to wire, do´s and dont´s?

I built my home 5 years ago and then for some reason the standard was 2 CAT5 and 2 Coax RG6 per outlet. This resulted in a lot of wire converging at the connection center, which I think was a good idea, but I am wondering if today the 2xRG6 might be overkill. Is this still the way to go?

He wants his home to be ready for: surveillance web cams, phone system (I woudl go with VOIP based PBX), wholehouse audio, wired HA.

Also I assume that there are some guidelines when it comes down to defining the lighting circuits to make it easy to control them with wired HA. For example, separate external from interior circuits, etc.

Any help, suggestions, resources any one of you cocoontech gurus can point out would be much appreciated.

Personally, I think 2 RG-6 wires is too FEW. At least at a TV or computer location. For other locations, it is probably fine. But since you can run component video over 3 RG-6 (read HD video), I for one am running more than 2 RG-6 to TV/Computer locations.

There have been a lot of discussions concerning this very topic. Both here and at AVS Forums. You might want to search those forums to get an idea of what most people are doing.

This should servce as "collective wisdom" from the CQC/AVS/Cocoon forums and as such is what I am wiring in my home as we speak:

I have 3 wall plate profiles I am wiring to:

1. Standard:
: 2 RG6
: 2 Cat5E

This allows current and future occupants to have cable/DBS and if wanted a separate Coax for concurrent TIVO
Also, Computer network and telepone/fax

This plate terminates to 2 RJ45 and 2 BNC

2. Audio / Visual Plate:
: 3 RG6
: 2 Cat5e

3 of the RG6 are terminated to RCA to provide Component video
1 of the Cat5es are separated into Left and Right Sound to complete the component
the remaining Cat5E is used to extend IR cable. I could have used one of the
remaining pairs from the previously mentioned Cat5e and may wind up doing this

3. Touchpad:
: 1 Cat5e
: 1 18/2 (future power)
: 1 Coax (Future Video)

I also run 16/2 for speaker wire throughout.

Not a "guideline" but I hope what I have learned from these forums is of help to you.

Ed Nelson said:
2. Audio / Visual Plate:
: 3 RG6
: 2 Cat5e

3 of the RG6 are terminated to RCA to provide Component video
1 of the Cat5es are separated into Left and Right Sound to complete the component
the remaining Cat5E is used to extend IR cable. I could have used one of the
remaining pairs from the previously mentioned Cat5e and may wind up doing this
Ed,

I agree with you on number 1&3, but I would think you would want to run an additional 1-2 RG6 to your Audio Visual plate. This is because on alot of HA setups where this plate would go, you would need the CAT5 for other things than auido (not quite sure how that's done btw, but I'm sure there is some type of balum). Satellite receiver typically uses a phone line and media extenders and/or media servers would need a network drop. I would say a plate like this would need to be a double gang. I did some retrofit work on my house and in the home theater and living room I ran 6 RG6 (five for component, L/R audio, one for regular cable) and 4 cat5, with one split for phone and IR. The number of cat five might have been an overkill, but I had the space so I ran it. Lots of wire, but you only would have to run this to one or two locations in the typical house. Just my .02

--Jamie

sic0048 said:
But since you can run component video over 3 RG-6 (read HD video), I for one am running more than 2 RG-6 to TV/Computer locations.
Agreed! For example in my Media Room, I have the following:

9 Belden 1694A Coax - Component Distribution + 1 Digital Coax & 1 L/R Audio x2
4 Belden 1829BC Coax - 2 Satellite, 1 OTA, 1 Extra
3 Belden 1583A CAT5e - 1 Phone, 1 LAN, 1 Extra
2 Carol Cable (Home Depot) CAT5e - Niles IR system

Plus other assorted speaker wire etc.

This setup also feeds the Living Room so that content recorded on the Media HD DVR can also be viewed on the Living Room TV, plus it also feeds a wall mounted TV in the game room beside the Media Room.

And I can now think of a couple of reasons to have run a couple more cables. So you really can never have too many cables.

And don't forget conduit. You need at least 1 chase to the attic and 1 to the crawlspace (if there is one) from the equipment closet.

Back