New Omni 4.0b Firmware. Anyone feel lucky?

- Controller firmware 4.0b released:
    - Added support for flash memory module.  IMPORTANT: Firmware versions below 4.0 may not be installed in controllers with flash memory modules.

O.K. Stupid question?  Anyone know what a "flash memory module" is? 

When I first read this I assumed it said that "Firmware versions ABOVE 4.0 WOULDN'T be compatible with controllers NOT containing flash memory" but it doesn't say that at all.

The "flash memory module" apparently is something not supported before now.

I never really paid much attention.

Guessing it is just bad English that was passed over the release notes and no Leviton person checking it.

Well like many things these days.

Ok, I know I probably shouldn't be tacking onto a 3-year old thread, but my questions seem to be most relevant to this discussion...

I have an OP2 with 3.10A firmware (I'm running PCA 3.15.0.803).  I haven't had a reason to update until now, but want to try Myro's Home iOS app and it requires at least v3.5 (not sure where that comes from since OP2 firmware numbers jump from 3.16->4.0b).  Three questions:
  • How do I know if I have flash memory (which I assume is required to flash up to 4.0b)?
  • Can I go directly from 3.10A to 4.0b or should I do an intermediate step (say 3.16)?
  • Do I need to update my OmniTouch panels as well (not sure what rev they're on)?

firepuppy said:
Ok, I know I probably shouldn't be tacking onto a 3-year old thread, but my questions seem to be most relevant to this discussion...

I have an OP2 with 3.10A firmware (I'm running PCA 3.15.0.803).  I haven't had a reason to update until now, but want to try Myro's Home iOS app and it requires at least v3.5 (not sure where that comes from since OP2 firmware numbers jump from 3.16->4.0b).  Three questions:
  • How do I know if I have flash memory (which I assume is required to flash up to 4.0b)?
  • Can I go directly from 3.10A to 4.0b or should I do an intermediate step (say 3.16)?
  • Do I need to update my OmniTouch panels as well (not sure what rev they're on)?
Hi.  So if you have PC Access, the easiest way to see if you have chips or upgradable eeproms is to just try to upgrade in in PC Access, and if it doesn't show up as an option or you can't, then you have chips.  Its getting harder to find, but some dealers are still selling upgrade chips.  If you look at the panel circuit board, you will see several big chips in the center. If they are in sockets, then that is how you upgrade.  The upgrade is just one chip.  

There is nothing special about the chip, its basically a 1990 vintage ROM chip.  Pretty old by todays standards.

You can upgrade directly. There is no reason not too. Your program should work fine. Omnitouch also.  Should work fine.  

Ver. 4 does add support for some additional hardware.  Its possible Myro Home just never tested with the older firmware, it might work fine. 

In PC Access, Under "Communications" is "Upgrade Firmware..."   Don't see it or it doesn't work, then you need to replace a chip.

Back