New style LED bulbs

Here I utilize E26 40 watt candlelabra lamps (crystalline look) for all of my outdoor coach lamps. 

lamp.jpeg

The above mentioned bulbs have lasted me some 2-3 years each.

Have you guys seen anything like this in a dimmable LED lamp?

Last Christmas season purchased a few of the small LED candlelabra bulbs (single LED lamps) and due to WAF removed them.  (3 different styles)

@Desert_AIP ...where did you get the small dimmable LED lamps from?

Pete_c

They aren't rated to be dimmable but they may work that way.  They are certainly dim during the day in the fixtures controlled by the UPB outlets.
I got them off e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271826219225

$_12.JPG

Thank-you Desert_AIP.

Yup here for Christmas put a candle in just about every window of the home.  The guru contracted electrician here put an outlet by every window (literally).  (did same with new home build in 2000).  Rooms here have many 1/2 outlets switched at the wall (UPB) and utilizing lamp modules today.  I have split up the loads a bit using dual load / multiple toggle UPB switches. 

The candle in the windows tradition here is very old now.

We've been doing window candles for more than a decade.
I was happy to switch from 7W to 0.5 watt bulbs this year.

I installed Sil-Lites this year, for a cleaner look mostly so we wouldn't have the cords draped out of the windows.
My wife likes them so much we're leaving them up year round - making me more thankful for the 0.5 W bulbs.  :)

I tried a couple other LEDs and they just didn't look right, I was very happy to find these.

Thank-you Desert_AIP. 

The ones (E12) that I tried with the single LEDs were off a bit from warm white (of that makes sense) and too bright for WAF.

I did purchase some at a local big box store (.5 watt) and some (2 watt too bright) on Ebay (well more than some). 

I ordered a pair from the Ebay link you posted to play with.

Are any of the large chain stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, Sears, Ace Hardware, etc) selling these yet?

I want an easy return if the wife does not like how they look..

I haven't seen any yet.

That said it's been about 6 weeks that I purchased LED lamps from two vendors on Ebay.  Both vendors used the same pictures / same descriptions of the items. 

Both vendors used the same methodology of a sale. 

IE:

1 - Item description / items pictured were not what was shipped.
2 - both went to a long (days) seemingly disconnected verbiage relating to a return rhetoric with auto answers relating to shipping of product back (which I wasn't going to do - rather I just pitched the items to the garbage).
3 - in a correction of sorts one vendor sent me the same items (which again were not as described or pictured)
4 - Ebay / Paypal refunded my original purchase after there was no response relating to my questions about items as described / pictured and not shipped.

A few weeks later ordered more of a few specialized LED lamps and I did get what was pictured and described.  Not going into the vendors / specific types here right now other than a statement of caution when dealing with some vendors on Ebay.

In  December 2014 / January 2015 I did purchase some small candelabra style bulbs from the local big box stores and Ebay.  They were no name and the lighting color wasn't what was expected.  The prices were very reasonable such that it wasn't worth the effort to return them. 

I haven't looked in the last month or so but noticed the same type of candelabra bulbs as seen in the above links vary in price depending on where you get them and they appear to be of the same manufacturing.  (from $5.00 to $25.00 each).

Here it was relating to the Christmas season candle in the windows lighting.  (currently using 120 VAC C7/metal candle bases for the windows - purchased a few years back for around $20 USD each).

Desert_AIP ordered these from Ebay and he is a happy camper.  Prices is $9.98 for two plus $3.07 shipping.

Description:

LED filament C7 bulb night light (Pack of 2)-0.5W(7W) warm white candelabra E12

Picture:

C7.jpg

Noticed too that Desert_AIP installed Sillites which would be a nice addition.  Here I have wood frames with electrical outlets under each window in the home.  The current home wood window sill and frame combo electrical outlet might be a bit difficult to install.  Some homes in the vicinity utilize custom granite window sils (which look nice but would be difficult to retrofit with electricity)

silights1.jpgsilites2.jpg

I just got one of these types of bulbs for a curio cabinet to replace a 25 watt bulb with a 4 watt (40 watt equivalent) LED bulb. I love the thing. It really looks like a regular bulb, the light is nice, you can't tell the difference between it and the incandescent it replaced. I have not tried dimming it, but it claims to be dimmable.

I really like this bulb and I'll replace some other bulbs with these soon.

Matt

@matt,

So the curio cabinets you have use C7's (E12) and you were using incandescent candelabra bulbs for these cabinets and the lighting / color works for you with the contents of the curio cabinets?

bulbbase.jpg

Here have a few wood and glass cabinets that utilize E27 mini spots (cob lights).  In the fall of 2014 converted one cabinet to 4 watt 120VAC E27 LED bulbs.  Dimming sort of works but not to my satisfaction.  I like the clear lamp light look best.

Here too have a chandelier with just regular E27 clear 60 watt bulbs (many of them) and using one UPB 1000 watt switch / 3 more linked switches and they dim fine.  I have not yet switched these over to LED because I was looking for the right look.

Those sill plugs look like a decent idea but are not what I call safe.  You have an outlet facing straight up an a possible water entry point.  In addition in a place that could regularly come into contact with people.  Mostly thinking kids or leaking window.

Maybe if on a GFI circuit I would be more comfortable with it.

Sil-lite outlets are UL listed, no less safe than a wall outlet.
Water intrusion would trip the circuit breaker the same as if water leaked from the window down along the wall and into a wall outlet.

Side bar, the outlets are excellent problem solvers in tight spaces like kitchen islands or cabinet fronts.

I use several installed on the underside of my front porch in the overhead (on a GFCI circuit) for plugging in Christmas lights.
There small size is much less obtrusive than a standard outlet.

I would guess the UL listing was done with typical, in window sill, installation.

Either way, use it if you choose...or not.

Back