New TiVo3 announced

No RCA or S-Video inputs, only coax... sounds vaguely reminiscent of the talk to ban all analog-digital conversion (coax has to be supported for cable, but they protect that with Cablecard I suppose).

Guess no more converting camera/vcr to a tivo.

I'm wondering how this will fare, I still have 2 tivo's and thought they were great. After using MCE however I don't see a future for them unless they can truly differentiate in some way that a PC can't follow. With PC's going down the drawback of higher expense for an MCE machine will quickly evaporate.

I would guess he does it so he can record multiple shows at once, and maybe share some content among them (if possible). At least it's the reason why I have 2 MCE boxes :)

I don't have Tivos either but I have more than 1 ReplayTV units. It is like having several separate VCRs in different rooms except they are networked together so you can watch what is recorded on one machine from any other machine.

Of course with VCRs you can do that by just putting the tape in the other machine, plus VCRs automatically archive to external media... hey, maybe this whole DVR thing isn't such hot stuff after all?

electron said:
I would guess he does it so he can record multiple shows at once, and maybe share some content among them (if possible). At least it's the reason why I have 2 MCE boxes ;)
Electron, any reason why you can't add another tv tuner to the main mce box and use extenders for the same purpose? I figured that might be the path I might take, but I'm not there yet.

It was also a potential excuse to buy an Xbox 360 (since it can act as a media center extender as well I believe). I have not looked in detail at the extenders yet though, so I may be missing something.

I did (and still do) have 2 tivo's, which worked great.

You can add as many tuners as you want to MCE now (with a registry hack, but works great), so there is no reason to have 2 boxes just for the tuner limitations. I created this setup back in the MCE 2004 days. My second MCE box is in the bedroom, and it would indeed be much better if I could get my hands on an Xbox360, since they make a great extender. I also used to share my movies among both machines, as well as the TV recordings, making it easy to finish watching something in bed.

The only concern I have about the Xbox360 is that it has a giant power supply, so I am not sure how the noise of that box is, or power consumption. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably have 1 main MCE machine (living room), and use extenders everywhere else (assuming the My Movies plugin works with it). Some companies are also coming out with MCE boxes which are the size of these extenders, which is another interesting option, but they are much more expensive than the extender solution.

It's an appliance type device which hooks up to the TV. The device communicates with your MCE machine, so you can access almost all of the MCE features in any room where you have an extender. It beats running a 2nd noisy big PC, and it's a cheap solution as well. Both HP and Linksys made a first generation extender (released last year), you can find them at places such as BestBuy.

Any indications on the cost of these units yet? I wonder how much disk space is used on a 1 hour HD recording on high setting?

Rupp said:
Any indications on the cost of these units yet? I wonder how much disk space is used on a 1 hour HD recording on high setting?
I think you have to assume it can't be less than $250. They didn't talk specs on space but presumably they would have a few models, small to large.

The other big cost for Tivo is the subscription, which is $300 lifetime last I checked or $12-$13 a month (less once you buy the first one).

If I'm right, $250 + $300 = $550... PC or piece of electronics.... As MCE machines keep dropping I don't see the lure (except perhaps to those who are 'technophobes' and just want to plug this in and are worried about a computer in the living room).

I think costco has MCE machines for around $700 now (or at least in that ballpark).

Don't get me wrong, I have been a huge fan of Tivo and my wife (the primary user of course) could not live without it. However, I setup an MCE machine and she has made the switch as well (and prefers it).

Back