New to Elk rules, night time lighting triggered by motion

OK, this seems to be working well now... thanks!

One small issue. Say we walk into the room, nightlight scene (30%) kicks on, but we decide we want the full light on so we hit the switch to turn the light on 100%. I'd prefer it if the Elk saw that change and, instead of turning the light off after 2 minutes of no motion, just left it on indefinitely (until we turned it off).

Any suggestions?

You mentioned not getting reliable triggers from the motion detector. If you still are not getting good triggers, you might want to look into getting an occupany sensor rather than a motion detector. The occupancy detector is much more sensitive to movement and works more reliably when it comes to lighting control. The drawback is that it tends to be too sensitive for alarm status. IE you could get false alarms if you use the occupancy detector for alarm purposes.

Hi Brian -

Thanks for the response, I should have been more clear. My issue was that the sensor was triggering, but the program wasn't running as expected. Somehow this seems to have cleared up because it has worked great for the past couple of nights.

Motion sensor sensitivity is another issue, but I'm sharing functionality with the alarm and I have a fat cat - so I'll just have to deal with it.

OK, this seems to be working well now... thanks!

One small issue. Say we walk into the room, nightlight scene (30%) kicks on, but we decide we want the full light on so we hit the switch to turn the light on 100%. I'd prefer it if the Elk saw that change and, instead of turning the light off after 2 minutes of no motion, just left it on indefinitely (until we turned it off).

Any suggestions?

How did you end up adressing that last nuance? (Allowing the light to be set to full by hand and stay full). I assumed what happened is that once you set it to full the ELK set it back to 30% right after?

Is there a way to use condition that relay on the actualy dimmer setting of the light? i.e IF light x IS ON AT minimum 60% or something like that?

I seriously need to start doing some rules programming...i got all this cool hardware in place...and no rules to make it do anything..when i leave the house i still turn the light of by hand...lol

Hey MavRic -

No solution yet, won't get to play with it for a few days. I believe what happens is that the light comes on full, but then turns back off after the timeout period.

Back