New to home automation

The only thing holding me to HomeSeer is that it can network together multiple different z-wave primary controllers which, at least in my case, yields better coverage and performance.  If there are other home automation systems which can do that, I'd be very interested and would consider switching.

The Z-Wave (and Z-Wave +) serial communications standards are the same in accordance to Z-Wave standards such that you could test out some other automation software / Z-Trollers to play if you want.

Homeseer started to push Z-Wave since the beginning of time (Homeseer Time) as I know it; such that they are very familiar with it.

Have you tried the new Homeseer 3 Z-Wave drivers?  They work with the new ZWave + stuff and the old  (ZWave)Z-Troller stuff.

Personally I think they are better.

It's really mostly about methodologies utilized to talk to the Z-Wave (+) controller.  The language to the controller is the same.

Build a $35 RPi2 Wheezy box and install a GPIO Z-Wave + (here also installed PiFace RTC clocks in my RPi's) card in it and connect it to a spare Z-Troller.  Use spare Z-Wave devices and play away with it.   You cannot break anything.  Did get a bad microSD card last week that was a damper on my testing of stuff; what a PITA; first time I have every seen this out of the box.

pete_c said:
Have you tried the new Homeseer 3 Z-Wave drivers?  They work with the new ZWave + stuff and the old  (ZWave)Z-Troller stuff.
Does HS Z-wave plug-in version 3.0.0.187 count?  If so, then yes.

Will a z-wave+ primary controller communicate with legacy z-wave equipment any better than a legacy z-troller?  At the moment, all my z-wave gear is legacy z-wave (i.e. not z-wave+).  I haven't read anything that suggests it would be better, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Does HS Z-wave plug-in version 3.0.0.187 count?

No.

I am running here on Linux Ubuntu 64 bit HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.171 (Linux)

Linux Z-Wave version is: 3.0.1.1 (which is newest) that works with Z-Wave + and legacy Z-Troller.

Node look with new driver and legacy Z-Wave looks different to me.

I read up on the HomeGenie  The author must be a genius as well as very generous with his talent and time.  I am addicted to my iphone, and Homegenie doesn't seem to have a IOS app yet.

One of the things that is holding me back is that the Homeseer ADIO interface looks like 1980s technology with its serial port interface that requires 2 adapters to get it connected to the Zee S2

I saw some similar network relay boards mentioned on this forum with digital and analog inputs made by http://denkovi.com/ethernet-io-relay-module-snmp-web-12-relays  I think I might like to mount this remotely in the garage or laundry room.  ethernet connections are better for me.  I am wondering if any HA system or software will recognize and operate these relay boards.

thanks

John

Back