New to home security and have questions for a new install

Sand- I was saying that contract non-withstanding, that your direction from higher-ups to walk or not sell systems that complied with local code for a required system was directed from your area management. We were always given the "if their money is green" theory of sales, and barring something glaringly against code, it was sold and done. No standard regarding if they needed to be hardwired or wireless, however the latest school of thought for the nationals within my area is to sell all wireless-get it and get out with the least amount of manpower.

Big blue's contract has been in court many times and has also had plenty of sections tossed out by the judges/juries, including their latest. The hardest item to prove is gross negligence or misconduct, which the quoted clause is directed at. The item to rememember is even if it is in the contract, it doesn't mean that it's airtight or not subject to be thrown out or interpreted in court.

Contracts don't necessarily mean a whole heck of a lot in court when they are between a novice and a pro. The court will side with the novice if the judge/jury thinks they were being taken advantage of.

But back to the original point.

I would highly suggest that if it is reasonable, to install the system to fullfill the requirements of current code.

Reasons
1) It is actually a good idea from a safety standpoint. Code is pretty reasonable and makes sense!
2) When you go to sell the house, if it is not code, the inspector will probably make note of it. This doesn't mean the sale is void or that it must be corrected (unless there is some local law about that), but it is just one more negotiating point the buyer has to try and ding you on getting more money. One reason everyone gets an inspection is becuase they always manage to ding the seller on at least enough stuff to pay for the inspection.

Not disagreeing that certain things should or should not be done, but at minimum, for a monitored system, spot detection, would mandate a smoke on each floor. Not ideal, but better than what most nationals and some locals put in. Putting in a system to meet present code here would mandate, on a typical McMansion, on average 8 smokes, and then to satisfy the other end, at least 1 CO, if not more, so in honesty, that price, even for hardware, typically exceeds most budgets people put on an entire install. For a subbed out install, you're talking a good chunk, and for the last small M1 I put in, 25% of the budget.

Not knocking the home inspection trade, but I've yet to see one perform a real inspection and reference code, let alone hold credentials in the items they're citing 90% of the time. I won't comment on Mike Holmes and some of the TV shows, that's another item and argument. The honest point to know is most states' requirements for home inspectors is usually in the form of a check to the government, not any apprenticeship or testing based off any relevant knowledge.

But the main deal here is that the OP specifically stated he was going to install smokes on his new security panel. Perhaps they make wireless smokes, but I sure as heck would never put one in my house.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you never install wireless smokes? The reason I ask is that I am installing a HAI Omni security & HA system and would like to add in the smokes for alerting. My home was built in 1982 and does not have any hard-wired smoke detectors. We do have three "stuck-on", battery-powered smokes (one on each floor, one in kitchen). My plans are to remove those and put wireless smokes in each bedroom, living area, and kitchen (seven total). I have no way to hardwire three of the seven because they are first-floor placements with rooms above them (i.e. no attic access). Do wireless smokes not work well? If not, what are you folks with no attic access to a room doing to wire in the smoke detectors?

If you don't mind me asking, why would you never install wireless smokes? The reason I ask is that I am installing a HAI Omni security & HA system and would like to add in the smokes for alerting. My home was built in 1982 and does not have any hard-wired smoke detectors. We do have three "stuck-on", battery-powered smokes (one on each floor, one in kitchen). My plans are to remove those and put wireless smokes in each bedroom, living area, and kitchen (seven total). I have no way to hardwire three of the seven because they are first-floor placements with rooms above them (i.e. no attic access). Do wireless smokes not work well? If not, what are you folks with no attic access to a room doing to wire in the smoke detectors?

I think this is a school of thought that is truly unfounded. The only downside(s) are the batteries and not being able to set them up for a tandem ring. Honestly, I've installed hundreds of wireless smokes with no issues with reliability or quality, and they work absolutely the same as their hardwired equivalents.

I can't speak for HAI's RF, I believe it's OEM'ed by Secure Wireless.

Back