Newbie Elk startup list

If I were at home I wouldlet you download elk rp from me. If you still need it on Monday you can pm me.

I am using Watchlight monitoring (smarthome sponsored). It works fine over cellular using hai c3 unit. I don't know about voip. Hai c3 unit works but it doesn't support caller I'd or any other stuff like that. Also some of the automatic attendants don't recognize the touch tone signals. Also if you forget a phone off the hook it doesn't do that loud ehhh ehhh ehhh noise.

Does anyone have a list/site that describes all the things an ELK M1 Gold can do, and what accessories or other devices ELK has to expand its capabilities?

I am presemtly using the motion semsors in the ELK security systen to send UPB commands thru their UPB module to act as occupancy sensors. There seems to be a lot more that this thing can do...

bob

I'm not sure it's that simple... but perhaps you could start on Elk's site, and look at their integration partners. There is SO much the M1 can do. With a well-integrated system, here's some things it can do:

As you arm your home and leave the house, it can ensure all the lights are turned off, the thermostats are set back, and the audio system is shut off.

During alarm, it can flash your lights, call your cell, alert authorities, and trigger sirens, strobes, etc.

As you enter your home while it's armed, it can light your path to the keypad (regardless of the door you enter), and wake up the house; welcoming you with calming music on the whole house audio system, setting your thermostat to the desired temp, and turning on the fireplace in the family room.

You can turn on/off voice alerts/doorbells, etc - based on time of day. You can automate lighting (xmas lights, exterior, etc). With your elk, you can watch for the pressing of a "goodnight" button on your scene lighting switch, and have it arm the system, turn down the temperature downstairs, turn on calming music in the bedroom, and fade the lights out over the next 5 minutes.

With the triggering of an outdoor motion sensor, you can have an interior announcement, and have the sprinklers turned on, a siren chirp, and a voice announcement made out back to scare off wildlife/intruders.

With more components, you can have AV control, sprinklers, etc.

What do you want to do?

In a few weeks, I'll have all of that except the music... that's slated for around next summer.

I forgot one of my simplest favorite features too... when I enter the garage from any door, it turns on the big overhead lights in the garage... I don't have to bother with those stupid little lights on the garage door opener. They turn off after nobody has been out there for 20 mins. I never have to touch that switch.

Another favorite - if you're returning home at some ungodly hour after the exterior lights have turned off, and the front path is dark (and for some reason you're parking outside) - press the doorbell button - it'll turn on the lights outside (also if you open the door late at night) so you can see what you're doing with your keys. Of course, you could do that from your iPhone too.

During halloween, when someone rings the doorbell, it plays something scary, like a witch cackle throughout the house; as the front door is opened, one of 3 random creepy sounds plays (dogs howling, creepy voices, etc).

And a brief story - and my favorite testament to all this HA stuff yet... while preparing to move into the new house, my wife was driving my truck and managed to lock the keys in it at the new house. Only person we could call was her mom - who lives 2 blocks from the old house, 13 miles from the new one. Normally she'd have to drive out to get my wife (or at least her keys) at the new house, then take her back to the old house to get the spare key - then either bring my wife back, or have my wife drive the other car. Instead, I had her mom go to the house and call me. When she got there, I opened the garage door and disarmed the alarm from my iPhone - and turned on the lights for her. Once she got the keys, she went back to her car and called again - at which time I turned the lights back off, closed the garage door, and armed the alarm again. It saved us all a lot of time, and really impressed her!

Back