Newbie from Brandon

MrBOFH

Hi guys and gals.

Early this year I was intruduced to z-wave by the big clearance at Radioshack. Bought some stuff and am now kicking myself for not snapping up more. :)

Closed on a foreclosure built in the 70's about a month and a half later. Installed the Schlage locks and deadbolts and got to busy with fixing other things. Also summer arrived and put a pause on things as it got to hot to open up the doors and/or switch the breakers off (as in no A/C or fans)

It's gotten cooler now so interior painting and electrical upgrades are on the menu. I've replaced almost all old 70's switches with new flat designer ones. Some key ones were replaced with z-wave dimmers. I'm currently in the process of upgrading all ouitlets. Some of which will be z-wave outlets. Just got a Trane z-wave enabled thermostat which looks relatively painless to upgrade the existing thermostat with.

Trying to upgrade some switches to z-wave switches but running into problems there with the non-availability of a neutral wire...

As I have no intention of indefinately donating $12 a month to Schlage for their link subscription, I'm looking at an alternative solution. Research indicates that the MiCasaVerde Vera 2 box and the HomeSeer software will talk to the Schlage locks and the Trane thermostat as wells as the switches, outlets and other z-wave stuff. Not quite sure which way I am going. Kinda figuring the Vera 2 will pay for itself within 2 years as there's no subscription to use it as far as I can tell. As my dogs are hoem whiel I am at work, I'm not that worried about a burglar, but would like to get alerted if eg the temperature in the house gets too high or too low.

What I would like to do further down the road. (Don't think I can do that with z-wave though, maty have to go X10 or the likes)
Sensors that will tell me (email) if a window is broken, or there is a fire or water emergency.
Garage door open notification.
Power failure notification

Back