Newbie - Home Settings HA02 Lamp Module Question

dondraper

I was ready to start my first adventure into simple HA by purchasing some Intermatic HomeSettings lamp modules and a controller kit for scheduling some lights while away on a trip. Then I read an article that says you cannot turn a lamp on/off using the lamp itself but must instead use the button on the lamp module itself. Unfortunately, that won't fly with my wife if that is truly the case. The literature for the HA02 says "Manual Override" but I guess they mean the button on the device.

I read somewhere where you can turn lamps on/off at the lamp using the lamp itself and the module will detect the load and allow this occur (turn on a lamp at the lamp switch even if module has it currently off). I think this may have been Leviton's Vizia products?

So is it true that you have to turn on/off a lamp plugged into a Intermatic Home Settings lamp module at the module itself if you need to change its on/off status manually?

Also, are you aware of any other vendors/lamp modules that will allow you to change the on/off condition using the switch on the lamp as apparently the expensive Leviton Vizia modules will do?

Normally I would not care about this but I need this to lower the "wife anxiety factor"! :)

TIA
Don

The way these units function is they control the power from the wall to the lamp. Since these are "remote controlled" you can control the lamp a variety of ways from other locations -- remotes, wall switches that are actually controllers, a computer, etc. However, the little on/off switch on the lamp (that thing that you turn, and "clicks" to turn on) always must be "on."

Yes, there's a little button on the HA02 that you can push to turn the unit on/off

I don't think there's any units that can "detect a load" and then self-activate... Usually, the units are "off" (which means that no power is getting to the lamp at all, and hence there's no way to detect a load). I guess they could allow through a micro-amount of power, but then the lamp wouldn't be "off" it would be "dim"

"local control" is a feature of many of the plug-in modules (X-10, Insteon, etc). From a true automation perspective, local control sucks. The local control allows you to flick the lamp switch on/off to signal the module to allow the lamp power to turn on. But the problem comes from the fact that there is no "local control off" feature. Therefore an average user will turn off the lamp at the switch. This prevents the module from ever controlling that lamp again, until the lamp switch is turned back on.

The way these units function is they control the power from the wall to the lamp. Since these are "remote controlled" you can control the lamp a variety of ways from other locations -- remotes, wall switches that are actually controllers, a computer, etc. However, the little on/off switch on the lamp (that thing that you turn, and "clicks" to turn on) always must be "on."

Yes, there's a little button on the HA02 that you can push to turn the unit on/off

I don't think there's any units that can "detect a load" and then self-activate... Usually, the units are "off" (which means that no power is getting to the lamp at all, and hence there's no way to detect a load). I guess they could allow through a micro-amount of power, but then the lamp wouldn't be "off" it would be "dim"

Well Leviton's "EZ-Learning" goes into great detail on their line and they clearly indicate this is a feature of their lamp module. They claim you can turn a lamp on or off from the lamp itself, override the current state of the module and even report to the network the status has changed. The name they use for this is "load sensing" and they say it is "exclusive" to Leviton. I just assumed this was missing from a less-expensive product line like Intermatic's Home Settings.

I do realize that turning off the lamp at the lamp switch would render it unusable from the network, but that's ok in my situation.

Perhaps someone who uses Vizia lamp modules can chime in and let us know if what Leviton claims is really true.

Thanks!
Don

Don,

I am guessing you are looking at something like the Intermatic HA07 module to run the timer settings. These devices work well, I have had two in service for over a year.

If you have a few extra $, I would suggest buying a HA09, in addition to the HA07, as an easy replacement for the local on/off switches. These have worked well at my location. The wife & kids & grand-kids all enjoy the convenience of the little HA09 Z-Wave remotes.

As far as 'load sensing' modules go, I would recommend not using them. I have destroyed a good number of INSTEON appliance 'load sensing' modules with fluorescent light fixtures. I even have a Vizia-RF appliance module that will sometimes 'flicker' for a minute or two after the fluorescent light it controls, is turned off. So far, (one year +), I have not been able to actually kill a Vizia-RF module.

Ken

Edit added for clarification:
Just to be specific, there are 'dimmer modules' and 'appliance modules'. The appliance modules employ relay switching and the dimmer modules use a TRIAC to chop the AC power to make lights dim. The only Vizia-RF dimmer module that I have on a switched lamp, will function well either by the local load or the remote/computer control. The Vizia-RF appliance modules, I have, do not seem to employ load sensing. I can only control those via the module button or the remote. One of these is on a
box fan and the other is on a CFL.
k

Don,

I am guessing you are looking at something like the Intermatic HA07 module to run the timer settings. These devices work well, I have had two in service for over a year.

If you have a few extra $, I would suggest buying a HA09, in addition to the HA07, as an easy replacement for the local on/off switches. These have worked well at my location. The wife & kids & grand-kids all enjoy the convenience of the little HA09 Z-Wave remotes.

As far as 'load sensing' modules go, I would recommend not using them. I have destroyed a good number of INSTEON appliance 'load sensing' modules with fluorescent light fixtures. I even have a Vizia-RF appliance module that will sometimes 'flicker' for a minute or two after the fluorescent light it controls, is turned off. So far, (one year +), I have not been able to actually kill a Vizia-RF module.

Ken

Edit added for clarification:
Just to be specific, there are 'dimmer modules' and 'appliance modules'. The appliance modules employ relay switching and the dimmer modules use a TRIAC to chop the AC power to make lights dim. The only Vizia-RF dimmer module that I have on a switched lamp, will function well either by the local load or the remote/computer control. The Vizia-RF appliance modules, I have, do not seem to employ load sensing. I can only control those via the module button or the remote. One of these is on a
box fan and the other is on a CFL.
k

Ken - Thanks for the tips and suggesting the additional HA09s. Perhaps I am stressing over a minor issue and shouldn't be.

Let me ask a specific question about the HA03 lamp modules in case you have one. Let's assume the primary controller is set to turn off the lamp during the day as we are away at work. Then my wife comes home one day at lunch to work from home the remainder of the day. If she turns on the lamp at the switch, will the HA03 (lamp module I think) allow the light to come on...or will she need to locate the primary controller or another remote to turn it on? I know she can turn it on at the module itself but let's assume its behind a table or couch and so that's not a convenient option.

Thanks so much for everyone's feed-back. I am learning so much already.

Don

Don,

For the HA03 Lamp (dimmer) Module, there is no local load control. That means the only way to switch it, is either by the button on the top of the module, or else by a remote Z-Wave controller.

If I come home and turn on a lamp's switch that is plugged into a HA03, nothing will happen, unless the HA03 is turned on. I can see where confusion can arise from this. If you somehow happen to turn the lamp's switch off, then the remote control will not work. Also, of the HA03 is off then the lamp's switch has no effect.

That is why I like the HA09s, the family never needs to touch a lamp switch. We just leave the lamp switched on and use the remotes.

As much as I hate to say this, INSTEON plug in modules all have fairly reliable load sensing. Just be aware that INSTEON has no HA07 comparable remote. I'm sure MikeB elaborate with any updated info on INSTEON. I have not used any of that for about a year, so my input is based on old information. :)

Ken

Back