newbie - is this sketch OK ?

morglum

Hey everyone,

This is my first foray in the 1-wire device world. I'd like to do the following simple thing to get started:

Use an unslung NSLU2 with a DS9490R usb to 1-wire adapter. (software will be figured out later)
Figure out what the indoor temperature is, using a DS18S20 temperature sensor
If temperature is below X degrees, use a DS2413 switch controlling a relay to turn a load on , for example a baseboard heater.

I've attached a sketch, can you guys give a look to tell me if I'm missing something? I didnt put any diode/resistor because I have no idea where they would go.
Hey everyone,

This is my first foray in the 1-wire device world. I'd like to do the following simple thing to get started:

Use an unslung NSLU2 with a DS9490R usb to 1-wire adapter. (software will be figured out later)
Figure out what the indoor temperature is, using a DS18S20 temperature sensor
If temperature is below X degrees, use a DS2413 switch controlling a relay to turn a load on , for example a baseboard heater.

I've attached a sketch, can you guys give a look to tell me if I'm missing something? I didnt put any diode/resistor because I have no idea where they would go.
***ahh damn i can't post links as a newbie -- PM for sketch ?***

Thanks !

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Its easy and personally using 1-wire has worked for me for about 10 years now.

Mitch from Midon Design has written a nice overview of 1-Wire topologies, use, etc. Have a look at it as it will answer most if not all of your questions.

1-Wire Application Guide

Personally I have a mix of both star and bus topologies and utilize four 1-wire networks. I also utilize parasitic power on three of the four networks.

Mitch from Midon Design has written a nice overview of 1-Wire topologies, use, etc. Have a look at it as it will answer most if not all of your questions.

Personally I have a mix of both star and bus topologies and utilize four 1-wire networks. I also utilize parasitic power on three of the four networks.
Reading, will be basck with more questions later on :rolleyes:

Reading, will be basck with more questions later on :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, it was useful.

However, I'm still very unsure how to drive a relay using my DS2413.
Is it simply NSLU2--DS2413- sinking to--Relay-- grounded to nslu2

Or do I need transistors/diodes/resistors somewhere? Attached is a sketch of what I understand..

Attachments

• sketch.JPG
    sketch.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 105

Or do I need transistors/diodes/resistors somewhere? Attached is a sketch of what I understand..

Have a look at the TEMP08 FAQ, question 29: TEMP08 FAQ?

The DS2405 and DS2413 are similar in their PIO port.

Mitch

Mitch
Hi Mitch;

Thanks for the link, thats exactl what I was loking for.

Do I need to put these exact transistors in there, or is there some possibility for substitution? Thanks!

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

I received all my parts and now I have to admit I am puzzled when I look at the scheme on your faq.

Q1) Can I just connect it like this? ds2405 sketch
Q2) Also, the DataSheet says I need a pull-up resistor. Yet, I dont see one in your/the other guy's sketch. Do I need one?

Thanks

Back