Newbie questions: minimote, thermostats, motion sensors, security...

veshman

Hello,

I am longtime looker and new implementer of home automation technologies. So far, it's a lot of fun, but I have several "newbie" type questions that I haven't been able to answer for myself despite reading through the forums. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to run through a gamut of topics I've been wondering about. Thanks for the help!

Generally, simplicity and reliability is preferred and I don't feel the need to "over-automate" when a simple solution is available. So far, I am running HomeSeer Pro with a Z-troller and a bunch of Cooper light switches. I've decided to go Z-wave, but I'm not opposed to consider UPB or other technologies in conjunction Here goes:

Remote Control

Can I use any Z-wave remote control with HomeSeer? I am very interested in purchasing several of the Aeon Labs Minimotes since they are tiny and look nice.

What about the Keychain remotes and GE remotes, etc that are out there?

Thermostat

I am planning on buying a Z-wave thermostat, such as the Trane, or the TZ43. The price difference isn't dramatic enough for me to make a decision based on price. I would like the one that works the best. I have been reading several posts that HOLD isn't supported on the Trane and possibly others? Is this true of the TZ43 and other thermostats in general? As an aside, the Trane seems to look better to me aesthetically.

My usage would be as follows: We don't do a lot of "programming" of our current thermostat...E.g., we just set it at our whim depending on how we feel at the time. Basically, we just walk up to the thermostat and pick the temperature we want and press HOLD.

Sometimes this is a pain if we are in bed and it's too cold or too hot. Would be nice to pick up the iPhone and set a new temperature, or pick up a minimote and increase or decrease the temp with some button presses.

Having said that, I'd want to be able to just walk up to the unit, pick a temp and press HOLD as well.

Of course, the next step in thinking about this is that if I create an Away scene on one of the 5-button wall switches, that it might raise the temperature a few degrees, bring it down a few degrees when I send a "Coming Home" command, maybe change the temp automatically through the night, etc. Being able to do this type of stuff would be great, but not as important as just having easy control of the temperature from either a remote, an iphone, or the device itself.

So, having said that, what would be your recommendations? Does the lack of HOLD in the plug-in affect my needs?

Humidifier

Is there a HA controlled humidifier out there? Obviously, controlled through HS Pro is what I'm looking for, and preferably, Z-wave. Is there even a need for this?

Coffee Maker

So pretty much every website, technology and book talking about home automation paints the picture of waking up to your favorite music and a fresh pot of coffee brewing. I haven't really figured out how the coffee maker part works....Sure, I can imagine it we are talking about a simple $12 Mr. Coffee coffee maker with the simple on/off switch. But I'd venture a good size bet that almost anyone reading this board and is into HA has a pretty decent coffee maker with electronic controls... . We have a Cuisinart Grind and Brew. Can HSPro operate that? If not, what's the best coffee maker that I can automate? Or should I just learn how to program the coffee maker itself ?? (in one way, simpler, but on the other hand, half the time those settings are lost when the machine is unplugged, etc.)

Motion / Ambient Light

Is there a sensor that will read the ambient light and adjust my dimmers accordingly?

What is the best motion sensor?

Security

Is there a security system that will talk to HomeSeer *and* work with a monitoring service? E.g. my wife wants to activate the alarm system that is already in the condo (United Alarms). Of course, I'm thinking, if we're going to do that, let's tie it into HomeSeer. I'd like to press away and have the system arm itself after 5 minutes. Then I'd like to have the system disarm itself when I unlock the door (for example, if I'm using the Kwikset), or perhaps when I enter the garage, or even just send a command from the programmable garage thing built into the cars.

Garage

I have a shared garage space with other people who are in my building. What kind of automation options do I have that would leave the existing infrastructure in place so that it wouldn't affect the other tenants? I'm sure I could easily do a "is it closed, or is it open" kind of thing. But could I somehow program a HomeLink or spare garage door opener to do more?

Well, that's about it for now...Obviously, I've been thinking about this for a while, but have a lot to learn. Any help is appreciated. I'm ready to take HA to the next level!

Bhavesh

In the beginning there was Active Home and it was good... well, it was OK when it was all there was.
I was limited to a few lights and appliance modules (X10), a remote PalmPad and just a few macros to impress visitors. I was always somewhat dis-satisfied and eventually discovered Homeseer. Since then the "house" as it's come to be called has evolved to the point we never touch a light switch. HS has enabled many other technologies as well, as we all know. Motion, security, environmental monitoring and control (heating and cooling), occupancy, RFID, telephone, speech and VR, IR... the list goes on. If something is electrical it's automated in some way.
This post may sound simplistic, and it is. The point is, with capable software to work with, and a little programming skill, automation is limited only by the imagination. It all didn't happen overnight. This hobby is expensive, there's no doubt about that.

Back