Newbie Requesting Help....

dxp178

First I'd like to thank everyone for all the great information on this site. I've been lurking around here for quite some time and I've learned alot. I hope to learn even more as I embark on this great journey of spending money!!!

My wife and I building a house, well we haven't started yet, we have a lot, we have a plan, and we are working on finding a builder. However, I've been able to convince her that we need to include some excellent technology into the house plans. I've been an electrical engineer for many years and I've been dying to do this right, so I thought building a house would be the perfect time to do all of this!!

I've put a lot of thought into what I want to do with our new house. I've listed it below....sorry it's so long. I wanted to ere on the side of completeness as compared to saying, "I want to do home automation, what should I buy"!!

I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to go with an ELK M1 as the brains of the HA. I'm still up in the air concerning PC Software (CQC or Homeseer). I was hoping by listing my wants you all would be able to add some of your input to help me with our decision.

Obviously I'd want to bench test all of these things before I install it in the new house. I mainly made this list to make sure I knew where to run the 10000' feet of wires needed to support this stuff. While the house is being built though, I wanted to 'play' with some of these things (motion detectors, cams, temp sensors, relays, etc). So I can start to set up the backend software side before implementing in the house.

I just put on my BIG BOY pants so I can take any criticism or suggestions you all can make! I really want to do this right and do it right the first time.

It goes without saying that this thing need to be WIFE FRIENDLY!!

Obviously I can't do all of these things the moment we move into the house, however I would like this to become my hobby...golf is too frustrating!

My budget to start to start the project is about $15k-$20k...including wiring. I'd like to do alot of this myself to save money and learn a little in the process!

Things I would like my home automation to do…

Security
Perform status checks on all doors and windows to make sure they are secured
Integrate motion sensors inside and outside of house.
Monitor motion sensors, window & door sensors and alert me if security is breached
Initiate warning sounds inside and outside of residence if security is breached.
Eventually alert Police, Central Alert system when security is breached.
Utilize outdoor motion sensors to trigger cameras and warning sounds.
After being alerted of security breach be able to view cameras remotely over the internet.
Check on status and change mode of security system remotely.
Motion detectors on driveway changes TV to show CAMERA on drive, alerts users.
Local Weather Alerts are broadcasted over Whole House Audio (see below).

Audio
Sources: DVR (XM Radio Stations), FM Stations, CD, iTunes, DVR TV)
Have Whole House (WH) audio available in all rooms of house.
Master Bedroom – Tie into whole house or tie into TV in MBR
Living Room – Use 7.1 speakers (tie into WH or TV).
Kitchen – Tie into WH or TV in LR
Dining Room – Tie into WH
Other Bedrooms – Tie into WH or equipment in Bedrooms
Outside – Tie into WH or LR TV
Master Bathroom – Tie into WH or MBR TV

I need the ability to make this WIFE friendly thus I need the following:
Volume Control in each room (ability to change this remotely or set start volume)
Select WH or local Source in each room and remotely.

Also need to set modes, Party, Outdoor Party, Dinner, Morning, etc.

WH audio needs to also tie into Audio alerts from Automation system

Microphones setup around house to pick up voice commands for HA

Mute systems when phone rings.

Video
Sources DVR1, DVR2, Computer, HD Antenna, Security Cameras
Ability for all Sources to be viewed on all TV throughout the house.
All sources able to be controlled from all rooms in house.
Security cams viewable on all TV’s.
Ability to limit access to sources in room (ie Kids room can only watch DVR1)
Video to tie into 5.1 & 7.1 systems in MBR & LR respectively
Pause DVR or DVD when phone rings.
Show caller ID on TV.

HVAC
Temperature sensors in each room and outside
Ability to log temperatures and graph
Control HVAC dampers to regulate temperatures in bedrooms
Remote access to change temperatures in rooms
Local access to change temperatures in rooms
Ability to set modes (Night, Day, Vacation)
Control fans in rooms to help regulate temperatures

Lighting
Control lighting remotely (on, off, dim)
Control lighting locally (on, off, dim)
Set modes (Day Party, Night Party, Romantic, Vacation)
Tie lighting to security alerts (turn all lights on or off – inside or outside)
Turn lights on and off depending on motion (or lack there of) in rooms.

Other items
Home irrigation system – monitor rain gauge and soil moisture and kick off corresponding nozzles
Water Sensor – Dishwater, Basement, Refrigerators, and Garage Sensors set to alert if water sensed
CO2 Alarms tied to system
Fire Alarms tied to system
Heat alarms tied to system
Current Sensors to monitor electricity usage and get status of appliances
Measure temperature & humidity in basement & attic (control humidifier, fans, etc.)
Announce over WH scheduled events (change filters, take out trash, take out recycling)
Use RFID or Keyfobs to turn security on and off from car.
Track dog (inside or outside) depending on RFID tag
Monitor Propane tank usage (whole house heating source)
Monitor water levels in Rain Water collection tank (irrigation system)
Phone voicemail integrated (access from home or remotely)
Text message capability (phone messages, alerts, status, deliveries, etc.)

Wow you made it all the way down to here!! Congrats!!!

Thanks

Dave

That's a long list. Couple of basic quesitons. What is your budget (it better be large) and what is your experience with this type of gear? Have you performed wiring/connections/troubleshooting in the past?

How much time do you have to play around with your hardware and software before installation? Are you able to "start out small" and add as you gain knowledge?

Check out our Wiring guide for ideas on wiring installation, especially for a new build.

If you want to control your HA with voice like you listed, then don't skimp on the microphones. The heart of good voice control is in the microphones. Plan on at least $100 each for the mics, and run them into a mixer before running them into the PC microphone port. The mixer will allow you to balance all of the different mics together.

- jason

Oh yeah, one more thing.

You said that you are going to use an Elk M1. That is a good choice. You also said that you want to do an irrigation system. I personally run my irrigation controls through my Elk. I use relay expansion boards to turn the valves on and off. Most valves work on 12V, so I just have a 12V 2 amp supply running through the relays to the valves. This gives me complete control over the sprinklers.

- jason

I personally run my irrigation controls through my Elk. I use relay expansion boards to turn the valves on and off. Most valves work on 12V, so I just have a 12V 2 amp supply running through the relays to the valves.
All the irrigation valves I have seen are 24VAC, so all you need is a transformer.

You have a pretty lengthy list of requirements. You may want to consider "separates" for this project. Elk is a terrific piece of hardware, but because (my opinion based on discussions/questions I've seen) it has everything built into 1 box, you have some limitations. With the right software complimenting it, you can work around these limitations. I chose to break my hardware into separates... security (NetworX (formerly Caddx), Automation (HV Pro), Touchscreens (HV XL), Audio (JRiver), Video (Sage), HVAC (RCS), IR (Xantech), and lighting (UPB). My HVPro manages everything and it's completely transparent (easy to integrate everything together)... but I think (again, my opinion) I have the best of everything with tons of flexibility and power. I have yet to be limited on anything I've wanted to do.

Good luck, have fun... it's a never ending project - but it produces some awesome results. You really can't go wrong with any hardware you select, you might have some limitations but there are always ways to work around them.

Here are some quick comments. Note that I just give ONE possible suggestion, just to get you started/thinking and I'm sure others will comment as well.
Security
Perform status checks on all doors and windows to make sure they are secured
Integrate motion sensors inside and outside of house.
Monitor motion sensors, window & door sensors and alert me if security is breached
Initiate warning sounds inside and outside of residence if security is breached.
Eventually alert Police, Central Alert system when security is breached.
You can setup the Elk M1 system to do this without a PC.

Utilize outdoor motion sensors to trigger cameras and warning sounds.
After being alerted of security breach be able to view cameras remotely over the internet.
Check on status and change mode of security system remotely.
Motion detectors on driveway changes TV to show CAMERA on drive, alerts users.
One way to do this is to have the Elk M1 tied into some automation software package such as HomeSeer or CQC. You will also have to have an IR setup that can control your TV's with the PC. There are a few IR distribution methods. Having this setup with a home automation package will enable you to setup events based on the motion detectors to switch the TV's to the correct channels to view the cameras. I take it you plan on multiplexing the cameras into some sort of switch box, and have that output be viewed on your TV's (this will have to also be controlled by the software). You will also need some sort of video distribution system as well. Note if you go with the Russound (below) it distributes video as well) There may be a cleaner way to do this and I'm sure other's will let you know if there is...

Local Weather Alerts are broadcasted over Whole House Audio (see below).
An automation software package such as HomeSeer can do this.

Audio
Sources: DVR (XM Radio Stations), FM Stations, CD, iTunes, DVR TV)
Have Whole House (WH) audio available in all rooms of house.
Master Bedroom – Tie into whole house or tie into TV in MBR
Living Room – Use 7.1 speakers (tie into WH or TV).
Kitchen – Tie into WH or TV in LR
Dining Room – Tie into WH
Other Bedrooms – Tie into WH or equipment in Bedrooms
Outside – Tie into WH or LR TV
Master Bathroom – Tie into WH or MBR TV

I need the ability to make this WIFE friendly thus I need the following:
Volume Control in each room (ability to change this remotely or set start volume)
Select WH or local Source in each room and remotely.

Also need to set modes, Party, Outdoor Party, Dinner, Morning, etc.

WH audio needs to also tie into Audio alerts from Automation system

I would highly recommend using a canned system such as Nuvo's or Russound's. You can also tie these into software automation packages to integrate with your home automation system.

Microphones setup around house to pick up voice commands for HA

I would rethink this, especially for a newbie. Maybe plan and wire for it, then implement all your other tasks and leave this for last. :D

Mute systems when phone rings.
Off hand I don't know if the canned audio systems have this or not. If not, there are phone ring detect circuits that you can use such (such as Elk's) and tie this into the Elk system, which ties into your home automation software system, which ties into your whole house audio system to mute it. I believe there may be an input to mute the whole house audio system based on a contact closure so you can eliminate the PC, not sure. Also, you might want to interface your doorbells. Again, Elk makes a good interface board that can do this

Video
Sources DVR1, DVR2, Computer, HD Antenna, Security Cameras
Ability for all Sources to be viewed on all TV throughout the house.
All sources able to be controlled from all rooms in house.
Security cams viewable on all TV’s.
Ability to limit access to sources in room (ie Kids room can only watch DVR1)
Video to tie into 5.1 & 7.1 systems in MBR & LR respectively
Pause DVR or DVD when phone rings.
Show caller ID on TV.
This is not my forte and I'll let others comment on the best way to do this.

HVAC
Temperature sensors in each room and outside
Ability to log temperatures and graph
ONe way is to use one-wire system (look at Hobby Boards), tie this into HomeSeer, then look at the mcsTemperature plugin for HomeSeer.

Control HVAC dampers to regulate temperatures in bedrooms
Remote access to change temperatures in rooms
Local access to change temperatures in rooms
Ability to set modes (Night, Day, Vacation)
There are thermostats that can be controlled via the Elk or your automation software package (computer). The dampers, I'm not sure about, but know they are available. Watch yourself on this one as you can screw up your HVAC if there if you create to much flow resistance.

Control fans in rooms to help regulate temperatures
YOu can control fans via appliance modules with various powerline protocals. Tie this into your home automation software package.

Lighting
Control lighting remotely (on, off, dim)
Control lighting locally (on, off, dim)
Set modes (Day Party, Night Party, Romantic, Vacation)
Tie lighting to security alerts (turn all lights on or off – inside or outside)
Turn lights on and off depending on motion (or lack there of) in rooms.
This again can be done with your home automation software package. You will have to decide on what type of system you want to use. I would recommend HARD WIRED system for your lighting. You will also want to think about how to interface your home automation system with your family and rooms (touch screens for instance)

Other items
Home irrigation system – monitor rain gauge and soil moisture and kick off corresponding nozzles
Water Sensor – Dishwater, Basement, Refrigerators, and Garage Sensors set to alert if water sensed
You can do this again, with one wire sensing. You can also control your sprinkler system with WGLDesigns products. Look at mcsSprinklers plugin for HomeSeer as it is tailor made to do just this (integrate sensors with sprinkler systems).
I would also look into a canned water detection system such as the Water Cop. It can tie into your Elk and shut off the water supply based on leak detection sensors. Elk also makes a valve for this purpose.

CO2 Alarms tied to system
Fire Alarms tied to system
Heat alarms tied to system
You can interface these sensors to the Elk which then can be "read" by your home automation software package.

Current Sensors to monitor electricity usage and get status of appliances
Are you serious? You want to monitor the current useage of EACH appliance? This can get very expensive, especially if you are using quality current donuts.
I would recommend putting this off till last. You DO want to look at installation of current donuts BEFORE your breaker panels in the case of wanting to monitor your whole house power. There are some canned systems for this as well.
If you are serious about monitoring current useage for each appliance, look at current donuts that output a DC voltage proportional to the AC current going through it and also look at installing a QUALITY analog to digital board with your home automation software package (couple of how-to's here on this topic.

There are cheaper current sensors that can be used if you "just" want to know if the appliance is on or off. Again, there is a How-To on this subject

Measure temperature & humidity in basement & attic (control humidifier, fans, etc.)
Again, look at one wire. Also note that if you are going to install an analog to digital board/unit, this opens up a lot of other sensors you can use as well (i.e. sensors that have a DC analog output and not necessarily compatible with one-wire systems).
Announce over WH scheduled events (change filters, take out trash, take out recycling)
Easily done with your home automation software package.

Use RFID or Keyfobs to turn security on and off from car.
Track dog (inside or outside) depending on RFID tag
Look at the RFID interfaces with HomeSeer (iAutomate, and CheaperRFID) for some ideas on how to do this. Make sure to put a tag on your garbage can so it can keep announcing every half hour or so on garbage night until it detects that the can moved out on the street

Monitor Propane tank usage (whole house heating source)
Not sure how to do this. You might have to do this based on weight. There may be some sensors available that can interface with an analog to digital system.

Monitor water levels in Rain Water collection tank (irrigation system)
Again, lots of ways to do this. Look at the How-to for the Maxbotix distance sensors (salt level sensor how-to).

Phone voicemail integrated (access from home or remotely)
Text message capability (phone messages, alerts, status, deliveries, etc.)
To many ways to do this to list here

Wow you made it all the way down to here!! Congrats!!!
I'm tired of typing right now, and haven't reviewed my responses above for errors, so take this as just some thoughts to get you started!

I personally run my irrigation controls through my Elk. I use relay expansion boards to turn the valves on and off. Most valves work on 12V, so I just have a 12V 2 amp supply running through the relays to the valves.
All the irrigation valves I have seen are 24VAC, so all you need is a transformer.
You can run a 24 VAC xfrmr and use Elk relays to control your sprinkler system. There is a How-To on this also.

I would seriously think about WGL Designs products, especially if you want graphs and integration with soil sensors and rain gauges. HomeSeer and mcsSprinklers plugin is tailor made just for this purpose AND can provide the graphs/data you requested.

I also think there is a standalone verion of mcsSprinklers that can be used without any other sofware package, just not sure. Hopefully Michael McSharry will comment (author of the plugins and a Cocooner!).

BTW, regarding your listing above, don't forget about monitoring your washer and dryer so you can announce over your whole house audio when they are finished (big, big WAF points)! :D

I mainly made this list to make sure I knew where to run the 10000' feet of wires needed to support this stuff.

10k feet of cable wont even be close to enough for everything that you are planning on doing. Depending on the size of your house, I would think you would be looking at 20k-30k, or maybe even more.

One fo the best tag-lines I have ever seen came from a post a few weeks ago...

"Never Enough Wire!"

That is the truth! Make sure to run extra wire to all of your rooms for future proofing!

Back