No Power to OmniStat2 from OmniPro ii

abernut

Hello,
yesterday my OmniStat2 quit working.  I just happened to have another one laying around so I plugged the face into the backplate and still nothing.

I read through the posts I could find and tried disconnecting my ethernet cable, making sure wires are secure.

Not sure what else to troubleshoot.  

The levinton  SnapLink app on my phones shows 0 deg.

Not sure what else to troubleshoot.

Have you used a multimeter to check for 24VAC from terminals 1 or 2 to terminal 3 of the Omnistat?

Here originally with my Omnistat; it still worked when I had the network  / time issue. 

I would just get zeros for the outdoor temperature sensors stuff and saw similiar com errors on the Omnitouch 5.7's.

Still had power to the Omnistat.  I would unplug the NIC port and all would be fine.

Way long time ago with the Omnistat RC80 I did have the power stealing issue and it would pop the fuse on the HVAC motherboard killing the power to the thermostat.  The fuse on the HVAC motherboard resembles an automotive fuse.

Check the fuse on the HVAC motherboard. 

Initially did for a bit use a bigger fuse.  (not the right thing to do though).

I ended up putting in that HAI relay board with it's own power supply.  I left it in place when I upgraded thermostat to the Omnistat2.

The thermostat upstairs in a normal thermostat and it still works.....
hmmm

Now that I think more about it.
The thermostat upstairs shows a display but last night it got cold so I turned up the heat.  I don't think the heater ever came on (I was freezing my ass off when I woke up)
The display could be because of the batteries right?

Which would point to the AC system.

We have a winner.
There was a blown fuse on the AC unit.

Any idea as to what could have caused this?

Mike

I would replace the fuse and see what happens.  If it immediately blows again, then you have a serious problem, like a short in the wiring or a failed component somewhere in your system.

If it doesn't blow, then the fuse may have blown as the result of a power surge.  Or age may have been a factor. You'll find debate over whether fuses ever wear out due to age.  Modern, good quality fuses shouldn't.  But there are also a lot of imported, poor quality components out there.

There was a blown fuse on the AC unit.

Good news that you found it.

Are you writing about the low voltage side of the AC unit?

If it is the low voltage side then it might be that HAI RC80 power stealing thing. 

As RAL mentions above.  This fuse really never goes.

Another initial fix to the RC80 power stealing was adding a common wire from the motherboard in the HVAC device to the RC80.

Have a look here.

Troubleshooting HAI thermostats

If it is a heating and cooling application, is the common wire installed? (note that this is about the RC80 and not the Omnistat2).

The RC-80 Thermostat was designed to work with most 4 wire HVAC systems.  The transformer common (C) is usually not required, because the RC-80 can power steal (to maintain operating power when the heating or cooling relay is engaged) from the W (heat relay), Y (cool relay), and G (fan relay).  If the heat, cool, or fan relay cannot supply 15mA to power thermostat without the relay activating, a common wire or the following procedure in this application is required.

Whenever feasible (if an additional wire is present or can easily be installed), it is recommended that a connection be made between the transformer common and the (C) terminal on the RC-80 Thermostat.  In new construction installations, inform the HVAC contractor to run a minimum of 5 wires between the thermostat and the HVAC system, with one connected to the transformer common.

Note:  The RC-80 requires an additional 3-conductor wire from the thermostat to the automation controller for communications.

In a scenario where the RC-80 thermostat resets when calling for heat or cool (and no common wire is present or can easily be installed), refer to procedure TN: 1 and TN: 2.

Hi. I am experiencing the same problem after a lighting storm where the thermostat went off and its not coming back. I am assuming it may also be a FUSE issue since it showed FUSE TRBL earlier before I disconnected all power and reconnected everything and set back the Time settings. Where is this possible blown fuse if I may ask?

Thank you

hooman00 said:
Hi. I am experiencing the same problem after a lighting storm where the thermostat went off and its not coming back. I am assuming it may also be a FUSE issue since it showed FUSE TRBL earlier before I disconnected all power and reconnected everything and set back the Time settings. Where is this possible blown fuse if I may ask?
Thank you
Usually the OmniStat gets power from your heater/AC unit, so check there first.

Back