Nowplaying 2005

As mentioned in another thread, they have a COM interface, which I would assume has a limited lifetime because it's been superseded by a protocol basedon the very heavy and complex UPnP interface. I would imagine that Netremote/ML use that legacy COM interface. But the COM interface is, in import ways, very limited relative to a network based interface, which allows remote control over players. So you look at the available players that have networked interfaces that don't require an really large investment of effort to support, and ZP and TT are those players, not to mention they also both do both audio and video which makes them usable as full fledged media renderers.

I don't think ZP will handle true multizone from what I have reseached. Also with your new price increase for CQC I don't think we are even comparing apples to apples any longer...

John

Dean Roddey said:
they have a COM interface, which I would assume has a limited lifetime because it's been superseded by a protocol basedon the very heavy and complex UPnP interface

Unless I'm 100% wrong the UPnP support in JRMC is actually mainly focused on allowing a UPnP device to navigate and stream content from JRMC's player.

But the COM interface is, in import ways, very limited relative to a network based interface, which allows remote control over players.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you. DCOM is not something I'd focus on for control of multiple zones of audio spread across multiple audio PCs.

However though I can't speak for MainLobby, NetRemote uses the API available in JRMC (and other players) to provide for robust communication via the MediaBridge software included with every copy of NetRemote.

MediaBridge provides a 100% network based interface, allowing for any number of NetRemote clients to control any number of MediaBridge servers, each of which is allowing for control of supported media players. These media players can currently be WinAmp, Windows Media Player, J River Media Center, iTunes, Foobar, or Windows XP Media Center Edition. Because MediaBridge is plugin based, additional players can be easily added, and because these plugins always interact with MediaBridge (not NetRemote directly), each player is guaranteed to be controlled in exactly the same way from NetRemote. This means that John can use JRMC for his interface yet still give it to someone running iTunes without making any changes.

So you look at the available players that have networked interfaces that don't require an really large investment of effort to support, and ZP and TT are those players, not to mention they also both do both audio and video which makes them usable as full fledged media renderers.
Rather than force users into using a specific player (which arguably have not been designed from the ground up to support audio), MediaBridge allows a user to continue using the player they're already using and comfortable with. (Note, however, that both NetRemote and Girder can interact and control with both ZoomPlayer and TheaterTek, also, and though they're both highly regarded for video and can play audio, I'm not sure I'd push users to using them for audio.)

In my opinion you cannot find a more robust, easy to use, multizone capable audio player as J River Media Center. You can jump through hoops to get a multizone setup working with other players, but it will never be as easy to setup or use as J River Media Center. Like it or not but to succeed automation software such as CQC, Girder, and NetRemote need to be usable by more mainstream/less technical users.

In closing, I think that though both ZoomPlayer and TheaterTek products are fantastic I would not cast aside proven players such as WinAmp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, or especially J River Media Center when they certainly can be controlled as easily as other products.

Unless I'm 100% wrong the UPnP support in JRMC is actually mainly focused on allowing a UPnP device to navigate and stream content from JRMC's player.

It was my understanding that it is now also the way for external systems to interface to it, superseding the COM interface. Maybe I'm wrong about that, and would be happy to hear from someone who knows for sure.

However though I can't speak for MainLobby, NetRemote uses the API available in JRMC (and other players) to provide for robust communication via the MediaBridge software included with every copy of NetRemote.

Everything in CQC is controlled through drivers and therefore all 'renderer' devices look the same, as well as all media 'repositories'. This is a fundamental aspect of CQC and extends to all devices/systems under control. However, being a fully network distributed system, our backend runs under a service, and that includes the device drivers, so they are running even if no one is logged in (pretty important for a back end automation server.) So the COM interfaces isn't really a reasonable option for our type of architecture, since JR cannot run under a service I'm sure. So the UPnP interface would be better for us technically, but it's a lot of work to implement UPnP.

Dean Roddey said:
Everything in CQC is controlled through drivers and therefore all 'renderer' devices look the same, as well as all media 'repositories'.

Forgive me, I thought we were talking about J River Media Center and how NetRemote and MainLobby control it.

There is a large following for JRMC, and though it may not work 100% in all situations for all consumers, it should not be discounted as inadequate as a whole house audio player because of it's use of COM, since as I mentioned it can be controlled over the network fairly deftly from NetRemote.

I am happy to say that my Now Playing is running under HS2.1.104 and everything is working. No problems with hsGirder or Slink-e. I must admit that HS2.1.104 is very stable. For those that are waiting... I will keep you posted as to any problems... or you might want to test the waters yourself now...

:D

John

jwilson56 said:
I am happy to say that my Now Playing is running under HS2.1.104 and everything is working. No problems with hsGirder or Slink-e. I must admit that HS2.1.104 is very stable. For those that are waiting... I will keep you posted as to any problems... or you might want to test the waters yourself now...

:D

John
Now that it is stable the upgrade deals have all expired and I can no longer afford it.

Well I have been busy with redoing my living room. I also got a new toy. I love my Samsung HLS5687W and my new Polk Monitor 50 speakers. Here is Now Playing displayed from my MCE box. I use the Gyration wireless mouse to control it. Its a start.....still working on it all

Thanks to Electron for the help with getting my MCE box outputting 5.1

John

Attachments

• NowPlaying_Samsung.jpg
    NowPlaying_Samsung.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 47
Well I now have my MCE box recording HDTV OTA. Getting pretty good results. I am looking to upgrade the 3200+ AMD down the road as well as a better graphics card. But for now it will do...

John

This was asked on the Homeseer forum but I figured I would post the reply here as well in case it could help others as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by machadoman
Hi John,

I read your post on using the multiple receivers to setup whole home audio, and I think it is a great setup.

I had a few questions that i was hoping you could answer for me (i am a newbie, and pretty confused on everything that i need and building a system that fits my desires)

In that setup, can you do the following:

have multiple mp3 streams from the computer to different zones? How do i set that up with homeseer?

use voice commands to control which stream is heard in which zone? how else can it be controlled?

Why does it need to be 'synched'?

Why the need for the xantech distributor?

thanks, John. I will let you know how the implementation turns out!

Grant

Ok.... first you need to have a player that supports multiple zones if you want to play a different song/track in each zone. J River's Media Center is the player that most people including myself use. Its a great database/player that also supports lossless audio formats like APE. I would not use mp3 unless you don't care about sound quality.

Homeseer for me as it pertains to my whole house audio system is used to control my equipment via IR using my Slink-e. In order to use multiple two channel receivers to reduce the multizone cost (<$99 each zone) you need to have an IR setup that has distinct zones. You could also get by using different model recievers if no IR codes overlap.

Voice commanding a music setup is totally impratical. Its hard enough to get VR to work in a quiet enviroment with gated mic mixers let alone blast music in the room and try to get VR to hear only you. Use a nice touchscreen interface to browse, select and control. You can also use a PDA if you want.

The downside to having multiple zones supported with the player application is that its harder to get all the zones to play the same track in sync. So if you want to have one CD playing in everyroom it has to sync all zones so that the song is being played through all zones at the same time. The problem is that even if the track being played is off by mere milliseconds using the software method of syncing you will hear it. So I use a hardware sync method that takes advantage of the IR controlled line switching you have built into the receivers. The Xantech distribution amp ($60) helps send the 'master' zone to all the receivers. Without it you would overload the line level outputs trying to hook up more than one receiver together. So essentailly you have two sources being sent to each receiver. One output is from a distinct pair of channels for each zone. I use the Delta 410 PCI sound card. It has 10 channels that can be paired together so it looks like 5 sound cards. The second output comes from one of the zones that I designate as the master zone. This happens to come from a Xitel HIFO Pro USB sound device. I used it because it has a TOS optical link as well as RCA line level that are both playing at the same time. I needed the TOS link for my main home theatre receiver. The RCA line out goes to the Xantech distribution amp and then the outputs of that goto the AUX line levels on the receivers. Switching to line level input on a receiver to 'CD' plays the distinct zone from JRMC via the Delta 410 and switching it to 'AUX' plays the syncroized zone from the master zone via the Xantech distribution amp from the Xitel HIFI Pro sound device.

This is all controlled via my Netremote 'Now Playing' skin using a touch screen interface, Dell Axim PDA as well as on my PC's around the house. Of coarse I also have a light control panel as part of the Now Playing skin that acts as a GUI frontend for Homeseer to control my X10 lights.

So in short... Homeseer, Netremote, JRMC and the Slink-e are tied together to form my whole house audio system. You could also use MusicLobby for the GUI frontend. Both NR and MusicLobby support the JRMC player so I would start there.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/index.html

Get that working with multiple sound cards and multiple receivers and build upon that.

Hope that helps

John

P.S. please do not start to add replies bringing up all the other various frontend/solutions for multizone setups. Start a new thread... thanks

Well I happened to be looking at the October PC Magazine and came across an interesting article on HA (page 74). On page 75 it talks about Homeseer and Netremote and the picture they used for light control was a screen shot from my Now Playing project a couple versions back (shown below). No mention of me though.... awww

John

Attachments

• light_control_deca.jpg
    light_control_deca.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
The funny part is they have the caption underneith all wrong. It says its the Insteon's remote log-on interface. I emailed them to clarify things...

:blink:

John

Back