NX-487 glass break testing

snakevargas

I've installed one of these with an Elk M1G, and I'm trying to figure out how exactly to test it. I have a FG-701 simulator.

How does 'test mode' differ from normal mode with the NX-487? If I generate an event with the FG-701 (by putting the switches to flex/test and then smacking the window) while the NX-487 is in normal mode, then should it send an alarm signal to the panel? I kinda tried that, and it kinda seemed to not do anything.

Putting it in test mode, I seemed to be able to cause an event to be sent to the panel. But, I'm not sure why it only seems to be working in test mode. The FG-701 simulates a glass window breaking, right? Shouldn't the FG-701 set off the sensor regardless of which mode it's in?

I have the GE ShatterPro 3 with the FG-701 tester. It just test normally without having to put it in test mode. You can do a walking test on the control and then test it that way. Control will let you know what zone was tripped with the voice.

I have a FG-701 too and had the same problem. I just used test mode. I think you have to bang the window pretty hard for normal mode. I think normal mode tries to simulate 50% of the sonic signature required (i.e., the "Thud" part of glass breaking).

I now use the drop keys test method for monthly testing. You can also just snap your finger right next to microphone and if green light lights up, then it glassbreak is at least functioning.

I found the FG-701 very useful for locating the best spot for covering multiple windows during installation process.

Back