NX-8E Control Panel Setup and DL900

pbalino

Hi all,

I have installed an alarm system NX-8E and although I became quite familiar with programming of the system I still couldn't find a way to disable the siren sound in the following case:
If I use the DL900 software to connect through direct connection from my PC
after I try to disconnect I got a yelping 1 sec siren sound.
This could be very annoying when you try to access the system late at night when everybody sleeps.
If someone knows anything on how to disable this I would be very apreciated.

Thank you

Is that "yelp" a very loud "knock, knock" sound coming from the siren?

That "yelp" is telling you that the panel has finished updating and I don't know a way around it. And yes, I agree with you it is very annoying as I also do a lot of programming chores late at night when people are sleeping.

You could always install a small microswitch on top of the siren to temporarily disconnect it, but again, it's a pain.

BTW: Welcome to CocoonTech! ;)

EDIT: It depends on the type of siren you have on the system. The stock siren that comes with the NX8e "kit" gives me two (very) loud knocks. My Moose siren gives the yelp you are probably describing. (I should not reply to posts before my morning coffee! ;) )

Thanks for your feedback BraveSirRobbin.
The sound I am hearing is more close to what you are describing: "two (very) loud knocks".
The idea with the microswitch is a solution but of course I will have to do it two times one for the internal siren and one for the external so I thing it might be somewhat .. :)
Anyway, I will do a search, perhaps I can find a way..

Thank again

This site been very helpful. Hats off to the host.

I have an NX-8. I pressed a button now it is armed. I power it down but can't get anywhere because it is still armed when turned back on. The passwords and master installer codes are unknown. What have learned or gained so far.

- I have the intallation and user manual
- DL900 software
- Apparently there is not a way to factory default to reset the CMOS on the control board. I have done this with my last one. I think it was DSC.
- So today during daylight hours I will try the factory default code. So I won't wake the nieghbors again. If that doesn't work I was going to try and use the DL900. Any help on the pinout for the serial port along with baud rate, stop bits, and wiring would really helpful. Also, the DL900 is asking for a Master Operator and Password. I have no clue what to enter here.

Any help is really appreciated!

theautomata said:
I have an NX-8. I pressed a button now it is armed. I power it down but can't get anywhere because it is still armed when turned back on. The passwords and master installer codes are unknown. What have learned or gained so far.

Also, the DL900 is asking for a Master Operator and Password. I have no clue what to enter here.
First, welcome to CocoonTech.

You have a couple of problems facing you. One is if you don't know the default master controller password, you will not be able to "enable" the serial port, which by default is disabled. This sounds like you are getting a "hand me down" system where its history is unknown so this may or may not be a problem.

Do you have the special ribbon cable adapter that will enable you to connect a standard DB-9 serial port connector into the Caddx system? I have an NX8e and am not familiar with an NX8. I also believe that the NX8 board does not have a serial port native to the board itself (the NX8e does), but again, just not sure (may need something like an NX584 board with the NX8).

Once you get the ability to connect a DB-9 serial connector to the Caddx system you will use pins 2, 3, and 5 to go to the serial port on your computer. I can't remember if 2 & 3 need to be crossed, but I don't think so. If no communications exist you may want to reverse pins 2 & 3 on one end of a connector.

The DL-900's default user name is "webuser" and the password is "care4u". You have to setup the serial port mode and baud rate as well as enable it via a keypad first though. Make sure your settings match the DL900 settings.

It sounds like you know the default master installer code for the NX8. I know the one for the NX8e, but not sure if it is the same for the NX8. If you need this though PM me and I'll send it to you.

Try getting into the system with the master installer code (with the system disarmed of course). I think there may be some additional settings for the serial port that you set via a keypad, but will have to look them up.

I have (somewhere, will have to look around) the DL900 settings that Caddx recommends for serial communications.

BSR is correct in that the NX-8 does not have the serial port that is standard on the NX-8E. You would have to have either the NX-584 home automation and serial interface board or the NX-590 Ethernet controller board to connect a PC running the DL-900 software to the panel.

In either case, the panel has to be disarmed to use the DL-900 to change configuration details, I believe. I hope you have the disarm code?

The GE Caddx page with all accessories listed is: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESe...yn=false&t=prod

As for the issue at the top of this thread, I don't think a switch in the siren circuit would help. The NX-8E panel has a siren circuit tamper detect, so putting a switch in it would (I believe) cause the tamper circuit to trip, or at the very least show a problem/error code. I haven't tested it, though. Post what you find!

The "clicks" are just the panel resetting itself. Yes, they can be annoying for late night changes. I used to stuff a towel into the internal siren at my old place during my reprogramming and testing phases. The external one wasn't accessible, but the clicks weren't that bad.

It also does this when you exit programming mode from the keypad.

huggy59 said:
As for the issue at the top of this thread, I don't think a switch in the siren circuit would help. The NX-8E panel has a siren circuit tamper detect, so putting a switch in it would (I believe) cause the tamper circuit to trip, or at the very least show a problem/error code.
Good point and I think you are correct. Maybe use a single pole double pole switch with the other pole connected to an eight ohm resistor? Will have to think this one over.

BraveSirRobbin said:
It sounds like you know the default master installer code for the NX8. I know the one for the NX8e, but not sure if it is the same for the NX8. If you need this though PM me and I'll send it to you.
Is there anyway someone could send the master operator code and password to me for the DL900 software for use with a NX-8E???

Thanks
Glen

GlenF said:
Is there anyway someone could send the master operator code and password to me for the DL900 software for use with a NX-8E???
The user name is "webuser" and the password is "care4u" for the DL900 software. I will send you a PM for the NX8e master installer code.

BraveSirRobbin said:
GlenF said:
The user name is "webuser" and the password is "care4u" for the DL900 software. I will send you a PM for the NX8e master installer code.
oops, sorry did that wrong (long day today). I gave you the user name and password for downloading the DL900 software from GE's site.

The DL-900 and Caddx basic default user is "caddx" with a password of "1234". When the DL-900 starts up, it will ask for this info twice. If you have changed the defaults in the NX-8, use your values.

sorry for the mixup

BSR

Back