Clean Caddx NX-8E Install, Compatibility?

OctDev

After much research and thought, I've decided to purchase a Caddx NX-8e. I'm concerned with a couple of compatibility issues, as well as how to make the install at the panel fairly organized. The system will start with roughly 18 wired zones, 4 wireless zones, 2 keypads, and 2 fobs.

The primary non-sensor components are:

NX-8E + box
NX148E-RF (main keypad)
NX1448E (secondary keypad)
NX216 or NX216E -- does the NX-8E require the NX216E or is it compatible with the NX216?
2 x NX470 (keyfobs)
NXP003 (serial cable)
15-20W Interior Siren
30W Exterior Siren
Strobe

Just curious if I need the NX216E or if I can use the cheaper NX216, and want to confirm that the keyfobs will interface with the NX148E-RF properly.

Does the board or the serial cable come with the DL900 software?

I have not read about the NX-8E requiring a siren driver; does it need a special driver for 1 or 2 sirens?

Finally, when everything arrives...how does it mount in the can? Are mounts/standoffs included or separate? I'd rather spend the time to do this cleanly once, but no where do I see anything about standoffs/mounts/slides/rails/etc for this system. Tips/Tricks/Suggestions? How much space will be left in the standard NX-8E can after installing the two boards and a battery?

Thanks for the insights. The forums have already been extremely helpful.

Some pics of my NX8e install are in the Security System Install How-To.

The DL900 software needs to be downloaded from GE-Security's site (I think you might have to register).

http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/

I am driving the siren it came with directly off the panel. You must have a siren installed or you will get a fault. I believe the installation instructions state the maximum current the siren output is capable of (not sure if it will drive your external one also).

I'm guessing the strobe may overload your system depending on the type (can't drive it directly off of the board, you may have to use a realy and drive it off of the 12 volt battery). Add up all your currents (motions, keypads, etc...) and make sure you don't exceed the current rating of the board.

Can't answer your fob questions as I don't have any. :)

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll look into relays; I was thinking I could avoid one but that may not be the case. Also, how did you mount the boards into your box? I can't tell from the picture. Is there an option of mounting them parallel to the wall vs perpendicular? Thanks again.

I'll try to hit a few of your questions, but it's been a while since I installed it (probably 3 years or so, and no issues so I don't remember specifics):

- I have a keyfob. Don't remember any special board required (except a regular wireless input board like you'd use for your sensors). iirc, the fob acts just like another zone on the network.

- I have 2 sirens being driven off the main board... no issues.

- I didn't use the software to program it. Just used the keypad. It's a bit confusing at first, but not too bad once you get started.

- everything required comes with it. standoffs, etc. No option for parallel mounting - it's designed to be perpendicular and fits nicely. I fit the main board, a second board, the battery, and a wireless board in my main can; I got a second can for my next hardware card (not shown in my pictures)

Some pictures in my cocoon thread... but they are outdated (geez, I need to update that) but it may give you some ideas.

Back