Older Omni II and Expansion Setup Confusion

ccponds

I'll spare details about my credentials or "trials-and-errors" and only state the facts. Why? I'm Texan and tend to ramble! Nevertheless, this is a very professional forum, I'm seeking help, and I believe that no one will hold the 'ramble' part against me.
Since the past Thanksgiving, I have researched, purchased, eliminated, installed, wired, troubleshot, downloaded, soldered, cursed… and repeated. I've called HAI on a few occasions, received maybe two precise solutions to my newbie mistakes, but haven't received an offer for direct email support. Strangely, it felt more like I was bothersome… must be because I'm not a "Company." So, I find myself posting on CT to seek the help of some HAI gurus… with no disrespect toward any HAI product as you'll see from my "self-installed / up-and-running" equipment list. Here it is:
Installed List:
HAI - Model 20A00-21 Omni II Controller - v2.10
HAI - Model 32A00-1 OmniTouch Touchscreen
HAI - Model 33A00-1 LCD Keypad Console
HAI - Model 1106W PC Access 3 - latest version
HAI - Model 10A17-1 Serial Interface Module (Qty 1)
UPB UPStart Software - latest version
HAI - Model 36A00-1 UPB Powerline Interface Module - (Qty 2)
HAI - Model 39A00-1 UPB Powerline Phase Coupler - not a need to install yet
HAI - Model 35A00-1 600W Dimmer Switches - several
HAI - Model 35A00-3 600W Non-Dimming Switches - several
HAI - Model 37A00-1 Auxiliary Switches - several
HAI - Model 38I00-1 6-Button Controllers - (Qty 4)
HAI - Model 38I00-2 8-Button Controllers - (Qty 1)
HAI - Model 59I00-1 UPB Lamp Modules - several
I own the following equipment, but will need help (at a later date) to interface with my Samsung SDE-4001 surveillance system (IP thru Smart Viewer 3.0 and ipolis mobile):
HAI - Model 32A30-1 Touchscreen Hub
HAI - Model 32A32-1 Video Encoder
HAI - Model 32A00-1 OmniTouch 5.7 Touchscreen - (Qty 2)
I have recently hired a local company to monitor my system in its simple "security" state. The HAI Certified technician, that is in very high-demand on newer automation systems, was "rock-solid" and impressed with my work. However, at $95 an hour and clientele / homeowners that have no budget, I can't expect him to regress, show up at any given moment, and solve my old Omni II limitations or frustrations.
So, with hopes of checking replies on a nightly basis, trying what someone recommends, giving feedback as to the status, and moving on to the next question without starting a new thread…
Question #1: I just erased an hour's worth of thought and will ask my question like this…
If someone has an Omni II with only one serial connector (J1), a functional Omni controller-configured UPB network and PIM, two expansion boards (one 16-Input Hardwire and one Serial), and a console for set-up… how would the pinning, addressing, and module types be utilized the best way possible to use PC Access full-time while commanding HLC Control?

Question #1 - Rev.1: If I only have one onboard serial connector (J1) and add one expansion board (10A17-1 Serial Interface Module), is this configured as:

(7­­=EXP)
Module 1 = Type 5 (for UPB)
Module 2 = Not Used
Module 3 = Type 3 (for Omni-Link)
Module 4 = Not Used

Serial 1 and 2 Rates are set to 8 = 9600 Baud
Serial Address set to 0 = None
Serial 1 Function set to 5 = UPB

The problem: Somehow, my Omni II thinks it has 48 Zones… but only has the 16 onboards.

The Omni is running the UPB network. Why is the onboard serial considered an expansion?

Please explain what I'm missing here. Thanks in advance!

OK... according to NOVO Solutions Section 1.123.5. Applying HAI Lighting Control (HLC) / Setup:
  1. Go to Setup>>Installer>>Expansion, and set the desired “Serial Function” (on-board serial port) or Module # “(if using the 10A17-1) to UPB.

• NOTE 1: You can not have more than 1 item selected as UPB.
  • NOTE 2: By default, all controllers (except the LT), with firmware Version 2.11 or later, have Serial 3 Function set to UPB
Can anyone advise me if it's worth upgrading from my Omni II's v2.10 chip to the latest firmware (whatever it is)? All I'm trying to accomplish is when I start programming, I don't have to disconnect the UPB cable, hook up and reconfigure the Omni for PC Access, upload, disconnect, reconnect, reprogram, etc.

That was cool when I first started this project. It's a little old, now. Any help out there?

Unplugged the Serial Module… you may see it on eBay soon.

Set-Up 7(EXP) as:

Module 1 = I alternate between Type 3 (for PC Access) and Type 5 (for HLC – UPB Control)
Module 2 = Type 1 (for Hardwire Expander – about to wire several PIR’s)
Module 3 = Not Used
Module 4 = Not Used

I recently purchased the latest firmware (v3.10) for Omni II… just to have v2.11 for the 5.7” Touchscreens. It should arrive mid-week. When I started this project, I thought by having the winning bid of $152.50 for a never installed, 2003 Model Omni II Controller, I would have my home automated in a few weeks! Well, I enjoy this as a hobby, took a break to care for my ill-stricken wife, and would still appreciate some veteran’s advice.
Gotta run and add some more programs. I’m thinking the automated gas fireplace will be next! (as long as the new chip doesn't set me back)

Welcome to the forum ccponds.

Looks like you are doing OK now?

I have an older OPII set up (circa 2.XX FW) in Florida and a newer OPII (flash upgradable FW) in the midwest.

The folks on the forum here / HAI folks are "gurus" and very familiar with the HAI OPII panels. That said so is HAI technical support..

I tend to ramble some too. Its taken a while (years) to get my panel where its doing what I want. I did a little bit at a time though. In Florida its only been a couple of years since I connected the alarm pre-wire which was done about 10 years ago; just never got around to it.

I think its worth the FW upgrade and I see the differences between the 2.X firmware and the 3.X firmware. I also have upgraded my OminiTouch 5.7 screens to the most current firmware. That said; enjoy your endeavor; as you said its a hobby.

The forum is a "gold mine" of information and the folks are friendly.

BTW I have 3 UPB PIMs that I use in the midwest. One is a roaming USB PIM and the other two are serial PIMs. I leave the one on the HAI OPII panel connected and never remove it. (I also have X10 & Z-Wave connected PIMs on said panel). Someone wrote to me yesterday about the serial pinouts / PCA configuration; and honestly I had to look because its been such a while that I have changed it that I forgot.

First of all, thanks pete_c, for the reply and encouragement for my hobby!

Next, my apologies to those that have read this forum topic and expected me to update more frequently. I stated that I would, but my wife and daughter have me remodeling one of the bathrooms… and free time for other stuff isn’t on their agenda!

I got the FW Chip from HAI, followed the instructions, and all is well… now. But, when I was at the top of my closet staring into the heart of my controller, had my cheaters positioned just right, checked the pin slots twice, and went to seat the chip… I stopped right in the knick-of-time before folding one little pin under the body! Long story short… tweezers, magnifying glass, spot light, and determination… I performed a miracle surgery, seated the chip, powered it up, downloaded my latest file from PC Access, and now I’m off to the next level on my “Flagship” controller.

Lastly, and the setup for Question #2: With Samsung Model SEB-1005R Cameras, powered by a Samsung SDE-4001 DVR with UTP lines, I believe the video is transmitted on the Orange/Orange-White twisted pair cable. I would like to parallel that signal with a short distance cable, solder an RCA jack, and plug it into my Touchscreen Hub w/video for my 5.7’s... with no signal loss or impedance problems. Upon success, I’d modulate 4 cameras into my CATV line with the Channel Plus 5445 and 2 cameras with a Netmedia MM73. My 5.7’s could be programmed for the VGA signals when triggered, but how could the channel on an LCD TV be programmed to switch when event triggered? Would that even be possible? Maybe the TV with PIP on and set to a CATV channel like “front door” camera? Utilize my Logitech Harmony Link for switching TV?

What are some ideas to interface CCTV with Video Hub and TVs? I've read next to nothing about great installations... with budget equipment, that is!

Lastly, and the setup for Question #2: With Samsung Model SEB-1005R Cameras, powered by a Samsung SDE-4001 DVR with UTP lines, I believe the video is transmitted on the Orange/Orange-White twisted pair cable. I would like to parallel that signal with a short distance cable, solder an RCA jack, and plug it into my Touchscreen Hub w/video for my 5.7’s... with no signal loss or impedance problems. Upon success, I’d modulate 4 cameras into my CATV line with the Channel Plus 5445 and 2 cameras with a Netmedia MM73. My 5.7’s could be programmed for the VGA signals when triggered, but how could the channel on an LCD TV be programmed to switch when event triggered? Would that even be possible? Maybe the TV with PIP on and set to a CATV channel like “front door” camera? Utilize my Logitech Harmony Link for switching TV?

I'm curious too how you could automate a video security "view" with the OmniTouch / Touchscreen video hub.

Personally I've integrated my Zoneminder 8 analogue / 5 IP camera set up to my home automation server. I would though also like to integrate same said setup with the OmniTouch screens via the Omnitouch Video hub. I did purchase line level video amps/splitters a few years ago for said purchase and they have just been sitting.

This way though I could split the video between the HA server touch screens and the HAI Omni touch screens.

I am starting to venture into the IP Camera world and wonder how I could integrate the IP cameras into the HAI Omnitouch Video hub world?

Back