Omni HVAC Questions

grawil

I'm looking to automate the HVAC of my newer construction home (tightly built and Energy Star rated, for what it is worth). I'm located in Canada where the winters are cold and dry and the summers are hot and humid. The shoulder seasons (spring/fall) are usually pleasant and you can open the windows.

The house currently has a central, ducted HVAC system consisting of a mid-range Carrier natural gas furnace (single stage), a top-end (high efficiency) Carrier A/C, a HRV system and a separate humidifier. There are no 'zones' but also no hot or cold rooms either. Currently, a simple programmable thermostat controls the temperature (heat/cooling), there is an obscure, humidity-based control for the HRV and a separate humidity control for the humidifier.

I have an OmniLTe panel that I am slowly integrating into our home. Assuming that I purchase an OmniStat2, what are my options for controlling the air quality (HRV) and humidity (HRV/humidifier)?

Thanks!

I have an OmniStat2 connected to my OmniPro2 panel. 

what are my options for controlling the air quality (HRV) and humidity (HRV/humidifier)?

You can talk to the humidifier with the Omnistat2.  Not aware of Omnistat2 control over an HRV.

You can probably DIY some with HAI outputs.  Not sure though about if that that would void your HRV warranty.

Here the Omnistat2 only talks to the furnace and AC.  My HVAC person told me to continue to utilize the Aprilaire device on the furnace and not to integrate the controls to the Omnistat2.  I also have a dehumidifier that runs in the summer with the AC and an electronic air cleaner.

The forced air fan is on 24/7 and utilizing regular filters and charcoal filters that are changed once a month.

It is not a zoned system but I do shift the returns from summer to winter and winter to summer.  (air remains balanced just fine).

I have used a second humidifier in the master bedroom during the winter months when it has been very cold outside.

grawil said:
I'm looking to automate the HVAC of my newer construction home (tightly built and Energy Star rated, for what it is worth). I'm located in Canada where the winters are cold and dry and the summers are hot and humid. The shoulder seasons (spring/fall) are usually pleasant and you can open the windows.

The house currently has a central, ducted HVAC system consisting of a mid-range Carrier natural gas furnace (single stage), a top-end (high efficiency) Carrier A/C, a HRV system and a separate humidifier. There are no 'zones' but also no hot or cold rooms either. Currently, a simple programmable thermostat controls the temperature (heat/cooling), there is an obscure, humidity-based control for the HRV and a separate humidity control for the humidifier.

I have an OmniLTe panel that I am slowly integrating into our home. Assuming that I purchase an OmniStat2, what are my options for controlling the air quality (HRV) and humidity (HRV/humidifier)?

Thanks!
So I controlled air quality in my last house. The Omnistat2 can't control that but you can get a simple CO2 sensor to control that. (That is Carbon Dioxide NOT Carbon Monoxide)  I had a Honeywell unit on the wall.  CO2 goes up and down and down depending how many people are in the room. When its too high you can bring in outside air, or turn on your air exchanger if you have one. CO2 is not a perfect measure but it is what is typically used, and outside air CO2 can vary depending on the time and where you live, but its likely way lower than inside CO2.

Humidity is a different beast the the Omnistat2 can control. 

I have two zones (upstairs/downstairs) and a separate Master Bath heater all on Omnistats.

I use the occupancy mode tied to our occupancy status in the house rather than set times like a simple programmable Tstat.

One of the most integrated things I do is monitor the window status. 
We sleep with the windows open in the "shoulder" seasons and on mild summer evenings.

I keep a count of how many windows are open as they open and close.
Whenever the first window is opened a 5 minute timer starts. 
If all windows are not closed by the end of the 5 minutes the HVAC system shuts down.
When all windows are closed the HVAC starts back to AUTO mode.

That way I don't have to remember to turn off the HVAC to open the windows and I'm not air conditioning/heating the planet.
And I don't have to turn it back on when we close up.

I also cycle the blower for an hour every 4 hours to exchange the air. 
And have a "Fan Only" mode as a button that will run with the windows open.

The bath heater is tied to our weekday wakeup schedule so the bathroom is preheated, since we keep the rest of the house fairly chilly.
It's on a timer (with a few parameters to check before turning on), but shutting off the Master Bath or Master Suite lights turns it off prior to the expiration of the timer. 
As does programming the alarm in Away or Vacation modes.

Desert_AIP said:
I have two zones (upstairs/downstairs) and a separate Master Bath heater all on Omnistats.

I use the occupancy mode tied to our occupancy status in the house rather than set times like a simple programmable Tstat.

One of the most integrated things I do is monitor the window status. 
We sleep with the windows open in the "shoulder" seasons and on mild summer evenings.

I keep a count of how many windows are open as they open and close.
Whenever the first window is opened a 5 minute timer starts. 
If all windows are not closed by the end of the 5 minutes the HVAC system shuts down.
When all windows are closed the HVAC starts back to AUTO mode.

That way I don't have to remember to turn off the HVAC to open the windows and I'm not air conditioning/heating the planet.
And I don't have to turn it back on when we close up.

The bath heater is tied to our weekday wakeup schedule so the bathroom is preheated, since we keep the rest of the house fairly chilly.
It's on a timer (with a few parameters to check before turning on), but shutting off the Master Bath or Master Suite lights turns it off prior to the expiration of the timer. 
As does programming the alarm in Away or Vacation modes.

Thanks, this is another layer of automation that I'd like to add to my setup as well.

Cheers,
Graham

Desert_AIP said:

Have you tried the OmniStat cycle mode? I've been using it here, as our house has some hot and cool rooms. Although I'm not convinced it really works the way the documentation says. It's cycle timing seems to be more random than interval timed.

Back