Omni Pro - Garage Door Trips because the W is slow

Deephaven

Well maybe it just isn't her, but between chasing our 2.5yr old, trying to grab the baby seat out of the other side even the x4 entry delay doesn't seem to be enough. I am only in "test" mode at the moment (ie haven't subscribed to a service since the install last week) but was wondering what others do in this situation. Living in the great white North we always enter our house by first opening the garage door and driving in. The alarm panel is right by the garage entry for the house.

I have a lot of tools and valuables in the garage and would like it to be secure, but I don't want a bunch of false alarms once I go live. What can I do to get around this?

What's your base entry delay set at?
At 30 seconds the 4x should give you two minutes.
I have a voice countdown that prompts every 30 seconds to remind my wife to shut off the alarm and THEN get the groceries.
You could extend the base delay, which will extend the 4x delay four fold, but that will extend all entry delays globally as well.

You could tie in the garage door opener into bypassing the door zone for a period or even disarming the alarm.
You'd probably need a second RF receiver wired to an input zone.

If you had a vehicle sensor you could bypass the garage door programatically for a period when a vehicle is detected.

30 seconds at the moment, I really like your countdown idea...which also helps me rationalize garage speakers :)
You bring up two other options which I am also interested in, but don't quite follow.  When you say "tie in" to bypass the door zone for a period can you give me a little better hint on how to do this?
As for the vehicle sensor I assume you mean some sort of RFID which I'd like to do, but at $500 thought it was a bit rich for my blood.  Is there a cheaper method you'd propose?

The HAI wireless vehicle sensor works really well. I have one at the end of my 500' driveway buried in an irrigation valve box and it still detects vehicles as small as my riding lawn mower. It runs for years on 2 C batteries.
The only costs there are the sensor itself, ~$150 and the receiver, ~$70.
Then the wireless receiver can be used for other things if you need(so its cost is amortized the more zones you hook to it), like key fobs and other zones.

As for the tie in. A couple ways I can think of.
One, you can use the wireless receiver I referenced above and a keyfob as the garage door opener.
You hook the Omni to the door opener to control it through one of the Omni outputs and a dry contact relay and discard the RF remote that came with the door.
When you press the keyfob button, the Omni sees the button, bypasses the zone for a set period of time and then the Omni sends the open command to the door.
You can bypass the door or doors for a set period, say 10 minutes, or disarm the system completely if you prefer, but that means if someone gets a hold of the keyfob they can disarm the system.

The second way would be to get a retrofit garage door RF receiver. These are used to add RF capability to older openers or to upgrade to more secure rolling code technology.

Something like this:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/2189134/genie-36163r-model-315390r2-dual

So a button press on the garage door opener would be simultaneously received by the door opener and the standalone RF receiver.
The RF receiver would be hooked in to one of the Omni zones to signal the Omni of a valid opener code, and then bypass the zone for a set period.
The trouble with this method is it is possible the door starts moving, and thus is detected as "NOT READY" before the Omni processes the bypass, so the alarm would be tripped.
You could use this method to disarm the system, but the same danger exists of someone gettin a hold of the remote.

You could also use this method similar to the method above and use the RF remote and receiver in place of the HAI wireless receiver and keyfob. Wipe the codes form the actual door opener and have the Omni open and close the door when the stand alone RF receiver after it bypasses the zone.

That last method is probably initially less expensive than using the HAI receiver and fob, but you lose any future expandability.

Back