Omni Pro II and Elk WSV

charliebarns

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out the wiring of Elks Water Shutoff Valve to my Omni Pro II. There are 4 wire coming off the WSV:
Green (Value Status). When the value is closed this produces 12Vdc output.
Red (Valve Close), says connect to normally closed relay output. When energized with 12Vdc this closes the value.
White (Valve Open) says connect to Normally open relay output. When energized with 12Vdc this opens the valve.
Black (Negative).

Any idea how to translate this to the Omni Pro II so I can monitor the value status, open it or close it?

Thanks

CB

All you need is a form C relay, normally open, normally closed, and common contacts to work with the water valve.

I'm trying to figure out the wiring of Elks Water Shutoff Valve to my Omni Pro II. There are 4 wire coming off the WSV:
Red (Valve Close), says connect to normally closed relay output. When energized with 12Vdc this closes the value.
White (Valve Open) says connect to Normally open relay output. When energized with 12Vdc this opens the valve.
Black (Negative).

I needed a separate power source for the valve: output zones cannot generate 12VDC at 1 amp. Hence, I used a relay controlled by my output zone to connect the +12VDC auxiliary power source to the red and white wires:
  • relay common <= +12VDC from auxiliary power
  • relay normally closed => valve red wire
  • relay normally open => valve white wire
  • NEG/GND from auxiliary power <= valve black wire
and
  • relay trigger (+) => output zone
  • relay trigger (-) => output zone negative

Because the valve status doesn't act like a contact (aka relay), I needed to use another relay to provide valve status input to my HA system:
  • relay#2 common <= input zone
  • relay#2 normally open => input zone negative
  • relay#2 normally closed => left unconnected
and
  • relay#2 trigger input (+) => valve green wire
  • relay#2 trigger input (-) <= NEG/GND from auxiliary power

In this way, the zone input mirrors the valve status: the input is closed when the valve is closed, the input is open when the valve is open.

Black (Negative).

I needed a separate power source for the valve: output zones cannot generate 12VDC at 1 amp. Hence, I used a relay controlled by my output zone to connect the +12VDC auxiliary power source to the red and white wires:
  • relay common <= +12VDC from auxiliary power
  • relay normally closed => valve red wire
  • relay normally open => valve white wire
  • NEG/GND from auxiliary power <= valve black wire
and
  • relay trigger (+) => output zone
  • relay trigger (-) => output zone negative

Because the valve status doesn't act like a contact (aka relay), I needed to use another relay to provide valve status input to my HA system:
  • relay#2 common <= input zone
  • relay#2 normally open => input zone negative
  • relay#2 normally closed => left unconnected
and
  • relay#2 trigger input (+) => valve green wire
  • relay#2 trigger input (-) <= NEG/GND from auxiliary power

In this way, the zone input mirrors the valve status: the input is closed when the valve is closed, the input is open when the valve is open.

Thanks to both of you. Makes perfect sense now. Off to pickup some relays!

CB

So I have my ELK-WSV hooked up as described above.  I have attached a diagram.  Anytime I active the output to toggle the water valve - all security zones (which are motions sensors) on the expansion enclosure that the hai 8 module relay board is connected to go into trouble mode.  I believe I isolated the problem to the Green wire from the ELK-WSV which is connected to t5 (the trigger input for relay 5).  When I disconnect that wire the security zones act normal during valve triggers.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Attachments

• IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like you might be pulling more current than your system can handle.   The WSV pulls 1 amp and each relay on the relay board pulls 40 ma.   The expansion board can handle a max of 1 amp.

The ELK-WSV is powered by an Altronix OLS 180 connected through a  Altronix PD16W (16 fused outlets).  The OLS180 is a 6 AMP power supply.  The total power I have connected to the OLS180 is the ELK-WSV (1A), ELK SS30 Siren (1A) and 16 motions (10mA each totaling 160mA).  So max power draw on the OLS180 is 3.6A - but I know I'm not even touching that b.c my siren isn't drawing anything during the trouble times.

Its almost like when the green wire for the elk-wsv is connected to the trigger of relay 5 on the expansion enclosure it affects the power to the OLS180 but only if the green status wire is connected to an EXPANSION ENCLOSURE attached 8 RELAY MODULE Trigger.

Another thing to check is your ground.   Do both the Altronix and the Expansion enclosure share a common ground?

Regarding Altronix Ground... here is a pic... the only ground for the altronix comes from the line voltage ground... I don't see anywhere to connect a DC ground.

Attachments

• altronix.jpg
    altronix.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 5
More trouble shooting question... my line of thinking had been that the altronix power was shorting somehow causing all the motions powered by it to lose power momentarily but that would actually just send those zones into a "Not Ready"state.  What actually causes a HAI Night Interior Zone to go to a status of "Trouble" because that is what I'm actually getting.

Thanks

The solution was to connect the omnipro GND terminal to the Altronix PD16W DC (-) terminal.

There was a voltage difference detected.  Using the multimeter, the voltage across the green status wire and the omnipro gnd was 6.4V but testing across the green status wire and the altronix dc (-) terminal was 13.4 V which is what the power supply reads and what it should be.

Connecting the omnipro ground to the altronix dc (-) solved this and the green status read 13.4 across all grounds.

thanks for the direction rockinarmadilllo

Back