Omnipro 2 runs slow

rumb

I've had this issue for several months and cant figure it out. Omnipro 2 panel with Lightolier Compose PLC switches and firewall. System has worked great for 12 years.

Light switches work fine with fast response. Security system works fine.

Automation triggered by motion detectors or door sensors or light switches can take 7 to 20 seconds to turn lights or other things on.

My goodmorning routine take almost a minute to complete.
>
32.    //    GoodMorning Routine
33.    WHEN MotionMstrBath NOT READY
        AND IF TC Early AM ON
        AND IF GdMornOnceFl OFF
            THEN RUN GoodMorning
34.    WHEN MotionMstrBath NOT READY
        AND IF TC Mid AM ON
        AND IF GdMornOnceFl OFF
            THEN RUN GoodMorning
35.    WHEN GoodMorning
        AND IF DARK
            THEN Kitchen SCENE D
            THEN Powder Hall SCENE C
            THEN ButlrCeiling ON
            THEN ButlrCounter ON
            THEN Living Room SCENE C
36.    WHEN GoodMorning
            THEN PROGRAM DISARM
            THEN GdMornOnceFl ON
            THEN IntLtsAreOff OFF
            THEN FrntDrFlag OFF
            THEN GrlPrchDrFlg OFF
            THEN LaundryDrFlg OFF
            THEN KitPatDrFlg OFF
            THEN DeckDrFlg OFF
            THEN BsmtPatDrFlg OFF
            THEN MstrBdDrFlg OFF
            THEN CLEAR All Messages
            THEN RUN *LvRmOutlOn
            THEN LOG Good Morning
37.    WHEN GoodMorning
        AND IF Outside Temp Hi CURRENT READING IS LESS THAN 45
            THEN LivingRmFire ON FOR 20 MINUTES

If I clear RAM everything works fine again for several hours and then gets slower again.

I have fine tooth searched my programs and they all look clean. I have about 600+ lines of code in pc access.

I even replaced the motherboard with a much newer version and that did not change anything.

I also recently added bitwise bc4 and the same fast and then slow shows up using it to turn things on and off.

Using bitwise turning light on takes 7-9 seconds. after reset everything 2 seconds.

One of my keypads seems odd at times.  It seems to change after each power reset, but it does not do the long tone when you enter the house with the alarm set anymore.  Sometimes it does beep some, sometimes it doesnt.  I have a spare pad I can put in there.

I have been looking at homeseer, but dont want to get that if it is something else.  I assume I would move all programing over to the homeseer and remove everything from pc acess.

What is the recommended HS model to get for a system my size?

When you say it "worked great for 12 years" was that with or without the automation routines you mention here?

Because if you've changed routines that would be an obvious place to start looking.  But if this code has gone unchanged then it stands to reason there's something else interrupting/overloading the system, negatively affecting it's response times.  

I know zero about the Omnipro programming but generic programming troubleshooting still applies.  If there's debugging or process monitoring features for the Omnipro I'd start looking into them.

Any time automation routines run other routines you "run" the chance that a resource-wasting loop will occur (pun intended).  Memory leaks deadlocks, race conditions, etc.  So I'd be on the lookout for points where the automation code runs into trouble that bogs it down.

As for Homeseer, I've been pleased with the money I spent.  I run mine on an Intel NUC and Windows 10 Pro.  I made that choice when I was still wanting to use the USB phone interface.  I've since moved away from that and could potentially move my HS3 setup to Linux.  But "this works" so I'm not terribly motivated to break anything.  That and it's often that plug-ins will come out for HS on Windows first.  

There's a new version 4 of Homeseer expected 'soon' and that might give me the opportunity to revisit the host platform.

Have you made any recent changes to hardware or your automation lines?

Omnipro 2 panel with Lightolier Compose PLC switches and firewall

Is this the "firewall" fix or just a firewall you have installed between your home network and the internet?

Do the diagnostics in baby steps starting with:

1 -

One of my keypads seems odd at times.  It seems to change after each power reset, but it does not do the long tone when you enter the house with the alarm set anymore.  Sometimes it does beep some, sometimes it doesnt.  I have a spare pad I can put in there.

It could also be the wires going to one of your keypads disconnecting or shorting out.  I have had two sensors (door) stretched (door frame) and start working intermittently.  Test the keypad connecting it to the panel with short wires to the panel (1-2 feet) and utilize a VOM to check the wires going from the panel to the keypad location.

2 - check your time syncing - if the panel is going off time by large numbers it could be relating to the Leviton / HAI documented "promiscuous ethernet port issue" which affects the serial bus on the panel causing it to debend after a day or a few days....which would slow everything down running on the bus.

3 - check your automation lines section by section for programming loops as mentioned by Bill above.

Been using the old and newer OmniPro 2 panel now for a long time (since the early 2000's.

Here have utilizes Homeseer 2 and the old serial Homeseer 2 HAI plugin and today using Homeseer 3 (in Linux) and the Omni Plugin plus using the MQTT and Samsung Smartthings Hub plugin documented below.

The automation lines in the panel do run faster than either of the aforementioned plugins. I use many of the OP2 sensors for automation on Homeseer. Currently have UPB, X10, ZWave and Zigbee controllers plugged in the the OmniPro2 panel. Utilize UPB for all of my automated in wall switches.

Any dead loop line program would make controller slow down, looking for dead loop in your automation:
similar:  

1.  When UNIT 1 On then UNIT 2  turn On for 5 seconds

2. When UNIT 2 turn off then UNIT 1 turn ON

For a system your size, you would at least want the HT-SEL. The HT-ZEE will run out of memory on you after about 65 Omni devices (lights, thermostats, buttons, flags, zones, etc.) plus the 10-15 created to monitor the panel status. if you are going stand-alone controller or run on a dedicated machine if you are going Windows.

Thanks for all the input.

I have had pretty much the same program for 12 years and I have tinkered with the code off and on over the last years. Nothing particular come to mind about the issue starting related to programming.  After the problem I installed a newer motherboard with 4.0B firmware and am now using PCA 3.17.0.843 - latest versions of both. Went thru all programming and updated to new structure.  I did find one well hidden loop and removed it. I have streamlined and scrubbed the program carefully. I added a omnitouch7 to allow more abilities thought I dont use it much.  I got bitwise and created m own interface used on androids now.

My goodmorning runs another button THEN RUN *LvRmOutlOn - I will try moving out - that is the part the really runs slow now. BTW the outlets are x-10 but on a Compose firewall circuit.

I am looking at the SEL-PRO, I dont want to run this on my PC.  As near as I can tell the big diff btwn SEL, PRO and above is the amount of RAM and memory.

Pete, the Lightolier Compose Firewalls are (3) panels that is isolates, amplifies and repeats all the PLC signals. All lighting circuits run thru this to keep noise out.

For Trouble Free Operation; Eight Circuit Compose PLC Firewall.

The Compose PLC Firewall links all of the devices in the system and ensures reliable, predictable, performance. It Couples, Phases, and Amplifies PLC and X10 Signals and Acts as a Traffic Cop to Control PLC and X10 Traffic.
The Firewall also can run diagnostics to help you ensure reliability.
The Firewall also allows you to expand your lighting control system anytime you like.
Built-in RS232 interface (for use with CPLCOMM option)
Optional time-clock
Optional relay card
Built in LED's Diagnose Signals
Link Mutiple Firewalls (Local or in remote buildings) together via RS-485 Connection

My time sync runs pretty close, I do have to add 3 seconds a day via the setting.  Where can I get more info on the Leviton / HAI documented "promiscuous ethernet port issue" ??  - I just found your posts - so the solution is to add an old router?  I have over the last 2 years upgraded and added several new routers. maybe that IS the issue?

I just recently ran across a RS232 card that plugs into the Compose Firewall that supposedly plugs directly into a HS controller- I found one old post on the HS forum about it, but no other docs on the interweb.  Anyone know about it?

"The Lightolier Compose PLC Communications Card permits direct communication to the Compose PLC Firewall. The CPLCOMM Card will transmit all commands received on it's RS232 Interface to the RS485 Network. It will also echo commands and responses on the RS-485 Network to the RS232 Interface.The Compose PLC Protocol is designed around a simple ASCII command Set. The CPLCOMM card has been programmed to isolate the Computer and act as a gateway to the proprietary RS485 Network. "

Does the SEL PRO has a serial port?

I recently threw away an old router - but I can get one for $10 on fleabay and try! 

so the solution is to add an old router?

Only if you have issues with the serial bus which come from the issues with the Ethernet port.

Any router will do but here have gone with a micro travel router that is about 1" X 2" and mounted next to the stacked daughter boards on the OP2.

Issues initially are that the time goes way off (I do not think you have this issue), and the Ethernet port disconnects itself and the serial devices (Omnitouch, Omnistat start getting display errors).

Still using X10 here with a Volp (JV Engineering) dual phase controller which is plugged in to the panel.  Homeseer is also connected to a CM11A.  No noise.   With UPB wall switch utilize a UPB repeater (on the two phases).

the Lightolier Compose Firewalls are (3) panels that is isolates, amplifies and repeats all the PLC signals. All lighting circuits run thru this to keep noise out.

Understood.
Relating to serial ports here went to using Digi Edgeports and Quatech serial servers in the early 2000's with Homeseer running on Windows 2003 standard server.

Here using up to 15 Homeseer Touch screens and today some of those screens are running OmniTouch Pro (tweaked with HAI designer).

Shifting the automation lines a bit to Homeseer will ease the utilization of the panel.  Here do both. 

If you are a DIYer you will get more bang for your buck purchasing Homeseer 3 software and your own already built PC with whatever flavor of Windows OS or Linux OS on it.

Homeseer's event engine and flexible web base programming is very simple to use and much more flexible than the automation lines in the Omni Pro 2 panel.

There is a 30 day free trial that is enabled when you install it on Windows or Linux.  Install the Omni Plugin when you install Homeseer and give the combo a spin.

Put it on an old computer to tinker with or even your desktop just to tinker with it.

If you want to tinker with opensource automation software you can utilize Home Assistant with the OmniPro combo Samsung Smartthings hub / MQTT plugin or

give OpenHab a spin.  Here running Home Assistant and HomeSeer 3 on the same Ubuntu computer. 

Here is the HAI Omnistat viewed from HA.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1297]

Here is what the Omni (OmniPro 2) Homeseer plugin configuration looks like:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1296]

Here is my Homeseer Touch Omnistat screen:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1298]

Its very easy to get "loops" with the OmniPro if you are not careful. The OmniPro does a great job of running despite this, but they can cause slowdowns.

Do this, open an Excel and great a table. On the left is each "trigger" and every line has one and only one trigger. On the right is all the possible things the trigger can change. Ignore the "conditions" as they won't usually cause problems. 

Now carefully, look to find any loop condition, where maybe a trigger cause one action which cause another action, and maybe an initial trigger. 

For example, maybe X triggers Y, and Y triggers Z, and Z triggers X  This is a loop.  In other-words be VERY careful of using a trigger that can be triggered by something else.

ano said:
Its very easy to get "loops" with the OmniPro if you are not careful. The OmniPro does a great job of running despite this, but they can cause slowdowns.

Do this, open an Excel and great a table. On the left is each "trigger" and every line has one and only one trigger. On the right is all the possible things the trigger can change. Ignore the "conditions" as they won't usually cause problems. 

Now carefully, look to find any loop condition, where maybe a trigger cause one action which cause another action, and maybe an initial trigger. 

For example, maybe X triggers Y, and Y triggers Z, and Z triggers X  This is a loop.  In other-words be VERY careful of using a trigger that can be triggered by something else.

Mate, Your explain is exactly

Another thing I did which was REALLY helpful, is try to build subroutines.  In other words, blocks of code that can re reused by several triggers. How do you do that, you ask? In the Omni world they are called "Buttons." 

First define a Button Name.

Then in code:
WHEN X
  AND IF Y
  THEN RUN "BUTTON NAME"

Then...

WHEN "BUTTON NAME"
Subroutine Here

So the Button becomes a subroutine that can be reused.  In other words, use a block of code over and over instead of repeating the same code in multiple places.  This keeps the maintenance easier, and its easier to see mistakes.  I put all my subroutines (Buttons) at the bottom.

I'm looking for a Lightolier Compose PLC CPLCOMM card -- let me know if anyone has one available... I know, it's long been discontinued... 

Back